Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl would cap off Bailey's career

Default Super Bowl would cap off Bailey's career

The Denver Post
    Posted: 07/25/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
    Updated: 07/25/2009 01:25:10 AM MDT

In Bailey's first 10 seasons, 15 different teams have played in the Super Bowl. None of whom have been any of Bailey's teams.

"The older I get, the more it bothers me," Bailey said.

After five seasons with the Redskins and now in his sixth season with the Broncos, Bailey has become recognized as one of the league's top defensive backs despite his absence from the league's greatest stage.

Bailey had a streak of eight consecutive Pro Bowl seasons snapped last year because of a groin injury suffered in Game 7 against Josh McDaniels' Patriots. Does coming off his injury-plagued, non-Pro Bowl season heighten Bailey's anticipation for 2009?

"That's not what really drives me," he said. "Winning it all drives me. I'm not concerned with the Pro Bowls. They come as you play well. Don't get me wrong, they're great when you get them, but I want to be in the championship game at the end of the year."

Busy, busy.

The agency group led by Tom Condon and Ben Dogra represents eight of the top 19 picks from the NFL's most recent draft, but there's reason to believe Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno is among their highest priorities.

The Condon-Dogra group may need Moreno, the No. 12 overall pick, to sign before they can slot in the contracts for Redskins defensive end Brian Orakpo at No. 13, New Orleans cornerback Malcolm Jenkins at No. 14 and Houston outside linebacker Brian Cushing at No. 15.

The Broncos hope to have Moreno by their Monday afternoon practice for rookies, injured players and quarterbacks.

Condon-Dogra also represented No. 1 pick Matthew Stafford, who signed a $78 million contract with Detroit that includes a record $41.7 million guarantee, No. 2 pick Jason Smith, No. 7 Darrius Heyward-Bay and No. 19 Jeremy Maclin.

Hanging in.

Before the 2007 training camp, Kyle Orton was competing not to start but to merely keep his roster spot with the Bears. Rex Grossman and Brian Griese were competing for the starting quarterback spot and the Bears signed Chris Leak off his national championship season with the Florida Gators to become their No. 3 quarterback.

"It didn't bother me at all," Orton said. "I have confidence in my game."

Orton, who started in his rookie season of 2005 before he was demoted, not only beat out Leak to begin the season, he became the Bears' starting quarterback by season's end.

Orton was the Bears' starter last year and after an offseason trade for Jay Cutler, will be the Broncos' starter when he reports to training camp Monday.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12912154?source=rss

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Well, he is on the wrong team to get a ring.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

This year, it's coming.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Superchop 7 View Post
    Thank goodness players don't think like that. Otherwise, there's no point in playing. Just skipping the whole season sounds better I suppose.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Thanks for that deep insight. Where would we be without such knowledge?

Shazam is right, we should just cancel the season. I mean, we're just gonna lose every game anyway, might as well not even try!

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Worst post ever. I think everyone else had murdered this enough.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

10. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sly Williams

We've got the MOST difficult part of a championship caliber team already..Stud O-line.
    WIth that in place, it's easy to imagine Moreno becoming a dominant runner with Hillts as compliment.
    You need a game manager at QB, and a top 15 defense (biggest task for this team) and you're there, man!

It's not that big of a stretch, as long as the defense comes together.

Flame away, negative Nelly's

12. The Following User High Fived SoCalImport For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalImport View Post
    We've got the MOST difficult part of a championship caliber team already..Stud O-line.
    WIth that in place, it's easy to imagine Moreno becoming a dominant runner with Hillts as compliment.
    You need a game manager at QB, and a top 15 defense (biggest task for this team) and you're there, man!

It's not that big of a stretch, as long as the defense comes together.

Flame away, negative Nelly's
    take a look at all the winning quarterback of each super bowl in the salary cap era-- most of them are in the hall of fame, or will be at some point. . . that's not an accident. . . and that's widely considered to be the hardest position in the game to fill with quality talent. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    take a look at all the winning quarterback of each super bowl in the salary cap era-- most of them are in the hall of fame, or will be at some point. . . that's not an accident. . . and that's widely considered to be the hardest position in the game to fill with quality talent. . .
    I think that using the HoF to make an argument is probably a pretty bad idea considering what most Bronco's fans think about our player's lack of inclusion in the HoF.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
    I think that using the HoF to make an argument is probably a pretty bad idea considering what most Bronco's fans think about our player's lack of inclusion in the HoF.
    Yeah, but the one position even we didn't get snubbed for HOF was QB.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

If Trent ******* Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Kyle Damn Orton can too!
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Trent Dilfer had a monster defense i believe. so did brad johnson.

18. The Following User High Fived jrelway For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrelway View Post
    Trent Dilfer had a monster defense i believe. so did brad johnson.

and who's to say that with a huge Offense and a good Defense, Orton can't do it..

beside those that nay say anything, besides jay is the best and mike should be HC for ever..

that can't wrap their head around they are gone and we have a new direction..

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    sure he can-- all we need now is the 2000 ravens defense. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

sure he can-- all we need now is the 2000 ravens defense. . . .

not at all we have a damned fine group of players on Offense, heads and above what they had and maybe even better than what Big Ben had when they beat up on us..

all we need is a much better TEAM on D and that is what Josh Etal are all about..

TEAM being the key word for the future in DENVER..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information