Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So how'd you become a Bronco Fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I grew up in VA. My Dad was a Dolphins fan, his father a Cowboys fan, and my Mom's father was a Redskins season ticket holder (The first pro game I got to see live was MNF Redskins/Cowboys at RFK Stadium).

I was 10 years old (1984) and had no love for any of the above teams so I decided to pick my own. I watched the second preseason game (Denver vs SF) and decided whichever team won I'd follow that year. The 49ers were insanely popular already and were an easy bandwagon pick, but all I knew about Denver was the Elway hype from the year before. The Broncos ended up winning the game. They became my team for the year. We went 13-3 and lost in the playoffs to Pittsburgh that year. I've been a fan ever since.

I've never even set foot in the state of Colorado in my life. Honestly, the Broncos were a completely random, luck of the draw pick. I jumped on the wagon and never looked back. I survived the ribbing of 3 Superbowl massacres only to finally celebrate back-to-back Championships and it was all worth it.

By chance, I did marry a girl from Colorado (western slope - Grand Junction) but most of her family no longer lives in Colorado - they are all ranchers and live in Wyoming or Utah now.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

I lost a bet and had to turn in my Jets card and root for the team from the cow town.

Or, there's my wife's theory, which is I only root for teams with orange and blue (Mets, Islanders and Broncos).

I didn't grow up in a sports focused household. My father still doesn't watch any sports and would watch the news or CNBC or something like that before ever turning on a sports event. My early years were on Long Island, which was during the Islanders dynasty, and of course if you lived on the Island you were Mets fans, unless you were a turncoat ******* and rooted for the Rangers.

As a kid, I didn't watch football at all. It wasn't until two moves later, when we were living in Arkansas and we had one of those big old fashioned satellite dishes that picked up every channel under the sun, that I actually watched my first football game. Completely by chance, the first game I watched, when I was bored one Sunday, was a Broncos game in '85. While I didn't understand all the rules, and I didn't know the players, it was clear this blonde QB was something special. They were playing in Denver, and Elway was running for his life on nearly every play. However, he was scrambling to and fro, and then just before a defender would get to him, he would make a play. At the end of each play, he would do his John Wayne strut back to the huddle with a big smile on his face, while the defenders were bent over with their hands on their knees trying to catch their wind.

I honestly didn't know anything about Elway at the time. Didn't know about the draft/trade issues. Didn't know about his rookie struggles. It was just a random thing. However, when I watched that first game, I came away with two things. First, football was fun to watch. Second, Elway was something special.

So, I became an Elway fan immediately, and the next week, I rotated that satellite dish over to the transponder with the NFL games and watched the next game, and was hooked. Then, from '86 on, I never missed a game. If I was traveling or golfing, or whatever, I taped the game on the VCR. Later, when I started traveling to Europe, if it was during the NFL season, I would tape the game, but also, fortunately, it was in the early days of internet streaming, and I was able to listen to the games on KOA via Broadcast.com (multiple times I did this on a GSM phone hooked to my laptop as a "dialup modem"). In a few cases in the early '90s (before Sunday ticket), I only got the game video, no sound. Back then, there was errr, ummm, modifications that you could do to satellite receivers to get more channels than you otherwise would, but sometimes you would get video without sound.

So, long story, longer. It was completely a random thing that I became an Elway fan, but when it happened, I was a big fan. It took almost no time to then become a Broncos fan (for obvious reasons) and I have been a diehard fan for the last 26+ years or so.

I'm kind of known as someone that when he does something, he over does it, and my passion for the Broncos is no exception.

4. The Following 8 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Moved to Littleton as a sixth grader and went to Robert Goddard Jr. High in 1968. Spent 2-1/2 years in CO before family moved back to Houston. Dad had season tickets at old Mile High so I got to see every home game for two seasons back when the Broncos were nobodies and life was care-free.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

3rd generation. It's in my blood.

8. The Following 6 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Born and raised in Denver, and I'm a 3rd generation Broncos fan. All three of my children have worn a Broncos Onsey so if they enjoy football, I'm hoping I've brainwashed them into it.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Born and raised in Denver and both my dad and grandfather would always watch when I was a kid. I didn't really get into the Broncos as far as watching full games until about 1986, but as long as I can remember its just been a fact of life that it was my hometown team. Not much to it.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    We ate at "The Drumstick" after Bronco games.
    The chicken came in a cardboard train
    wow does this str some memories!
    we lived not far from the drumstick on colorado boulevardthey had a traIN that raN around the entire perimiter of the restaurantinterior, a model train, at the to go window those little box-cars would show up in different colors, one by one like PENN Station !
    texas toast.
    I was born and raise in denver.
    Raised by a single mom who worked 3 jobs, so the drumsticj was her ally in helping to feed her kids !
    She dated a great guy who took me to my first hockey game DU my first basketball game, the Hrlem globetrotters and to my very first football game, the first scrimmage of the new professional football team the Denver Broncos!
    I remember when they came on to the field, their unis were so ugly I told my dad, ( yes, eventually this "date" became my dad, ) that I wanted to cheer for the other team.
    I was only 5 so he explained to me about loyalty.
    the broncos were worse than their uniforms, I often say I learned about football and saecasm on the same day.
    a day in august 1960.
    I love sports, almost everything but rodeo and racecars, but football is without question #1 for this born and raised denver native.
    I moved away from denver and my dad took me to the first suns game ever played and I learned to appreciate baseball watching the hometown D-backs meteoric rise to win the world series.
    I have returned to denver to work on seperate occasions, every year I did, the broncos made ot to the superbowl. My last tour of duty in Denver was 98
    it was destiny !
    I watched my broncos in alaska and australia, in upstate NY and dallas texas. I admire those of you who chose the broncos, not by birthright or geography, but for whatever reason, they appealed to you and you developed your own loyalty.

its great to hear from bronco fans all across the world !canada, new zealand, germany and england

even a kid from louisianna who had his choice of teams this year, chose our own denver broncos !
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

14. The Following 9 Users High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Born and raised in Dallas, Texas so I've been a Cowboys fan my whole life...still am. Went to my first Cowboys game in 1967 (Meredith was quarterback ). Yeah I was young, but I was also hooked. We had season tickets throught the 70s as well. I've been one too long to just stop. I've also always had an AFC team that I supported, and for the longest time, it was the Houston Oilers (except when they played the Cowboys, of course). When Houston moved to Tennessee, I just couldn't get into the "Tennessee Oilers" and definitely not when they became the Titans. Around the same time I had moved to Colorado, a state I had wanted to live in since I was about 10 years old (I'm 49 now and have been living here for the past 12 years). I adopted the Broncos as my AFC team and have been behind them ever since. By the time the Texans came to Houston I had already been supporting the Broncos long enough that I couldn't get behind the Texans.

My support for the Broncos has turned into fandom. Though I despise Jerry Jones with a passion, I am still a Cowboys fan and always will be. That being said, because of Jerry Jones, I am not quite as rabid a Cowboys fan as I used to be. I can't stand the man and what he has done to the Cowboys. Who would I support if the Broncos and Cowboys played? At this point, I honestly don't know anymore as both the Broncos and Cowboys are on equal footing with me now. I can say that I hope they never play each other in the Superbowl again so I don't have to choose!

12 years of living in Colorado and having no intention of ever leaving has diminished the Texan in me and I see myself as a Coloradan now. I love it here! The Avs have already overtaken the Stars as my hockey team, the Broncos and Cowboys are equals, I am a Rangers fan and a Rockies supporter, but I don't like the Nuggets and the Mavericks are still my basketball team. College football? I am a Texas Longhorn and always will be. That cannot change. HOOK 'EM! \m/
    Last edited by Fullback32; 07-31-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    I'd rather be riding!

16. The Following 7 Users High Fived Fullback32 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

I love fullbacks, glad your a bronco fan !
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

18. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I was too young to care about football, but my grandmother always bought me Steelers shirts, jackets, etc and my Dad always got me Eagles gear, so I guess I liked those teams as much as a 6 year old could. But...my Dad use to get me the little plastic football helmets out of gumball machines in the mid-70's. For some reason it seemed like 2 or 3 out of every 5 of those helmets my Dad got me were Broncos helmets. by the time he had completed my collection, I must have had two dozen Broncos helmets. So one day, my Dad and grandmother were debating Eagles/Steelers and they asked me who my team was...and I said the Broncos. They were curious and kept trying to sway me to one of their teams, which just kind of made me stick with Broncos depper and deeper. Low and behold, they went to the Super Bowl that year against the team both of them hated the most (Cowboys), so for that game they were Broncos fans as well and that just nailed it for me. Been a fan since. 34 years and counting.

Strangely enough...the Sixers were the only "home" team I ever might have called a favorite.

20. The Following 10 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Born and raised in SE Kansas. Was a KC Chiefs from the days of the old AFL but got sick of the Chiefs losing ways since the one Super Bowl win. When the Army moved me to Fort Carson in 1997 I switched to the Broncos and have been a hardcore fans ever since. My brothers are still Chiefs fans and I love bantering with them about the rivalry.

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived LTC Pain For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

My parents lived in Denver when my mom was got pregnant. My dad became a Bronco fan when he moved to Denver late 70s and became a die hard when Elway was drafted. You can call me day an Elway fan boi. So I was born a Broncos fan. somewhere my mom has a silk broncos jacket that I wore when I was around 2 yrs old I am trying to get back from her.

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Hey...I had a silk Broncos starter jacket from the 80's. Gave it to my oldest sone when he was big enough to wear it and then to one of my twins (somehow the other twin became a Packers fan...???) Unfortunately, it was in a box under some old blankets and the box was given to a local charity.

Somewhere, some homeless guy is rockin my jacket....:-(

26. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I was born in Sidney, NE, which is only about a 3 hour drive from Denver.

My Dad is not into sports at all, in any form, but my Mom was a fan of the Broncos. She had grown up in Salt Lake City, and the Broncos were the closest NFL team.

I had Broncos pajamas (with the feet in them) when I was too young to understand, but I've been a Broncos fan as long as I can remember. I grew up for the most part in Kansas, and while everyone it seemed was a Chiefs fan, I stuck to my guns. .. .even through the excruciating 3 SB losses, which was during Middle School for me. I proudly wore my AFC Championship shirt to school on the Monday's after each of those SB losses. I endured a lot of ridicule... especially from bandwagon fans who would all of a sudden be 49er or Redskin fans, but I stuck with them.

After all that, the Broncos are really just a part of who I am. You can't really separate the two.

28. The Following 7 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I was born in Sidney, NE, which is only about a 3 hour drive from Denver.

My Dad is not into sports at all, in any form, but my Mom was a fan of the Broncos. She had grown up in Salt Lake City, and the Broncos were the closest NFL team.

I had Broncos pajamas (with the feet in them) when I was too young to understand, but I've been a Broncos fan as long as I can remember. I grew up for the most part in Kansas, and while everyone it seemed was a Chiefs fan, I stuck to my guns. .. .even through the excruciating 3 SB losses, which was during Middle School for me. I proudly wore my AFC Championship shirt to school on the Monday's after each of those SB losses. I endured a lot of ridicule... especially from bandwagon fans who would all of a sudden be 49er or Redskin fans, but I stuck with them.

After all that, the Broncos are really just a part of who I am. You can't really separate the two.
    Redskins loss was the worst for me. TONS of Skins fans in Eastern PA.

30. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information