Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos and Clady break off negotiations until after 2012 season

Clady is giving up the guarantee in case of injury, but from both his and team's perspective, if they franchise him he gets basically the same next year as if he signed the $50 mil for 5 contract.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Clady and his agent feel they want a better contract than Joe Thomas. Clady is good but he isnt his 2008 form quite yet. By any means 5 year 50 million is a excellent top 5 contract but they are balking. Good on denver since we have the leverage of a franchise tag and now we can see if clady is fully recovered as well.....no biggy here
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I thought I covered that with "Barring injury."
    So you did. I missed it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Excellent . Time for Clady to put up or shut up.

6. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Clady and his agent feel they want a better contract than Joe Thomas. Clady is good but he isnt his 2008 form quite yet. By any means 5 year 50 million is a excellent top 5 contract but they are balking. Good on denver since we have the leverage of a franchise tag and now we can see if clady is fully recovered as well.....no biggy here
    damn skippy. . .

if dude wants to get paid like joe thomas, he better not have fifty ****ing holding calls this year, because that doesn't resemble elite play in any way, shape or form. . .

don't anybody tell me that shit was all tebow's fault, either-- even a honeybadger angry midget can't blame the QB on a damn running play! and when the guy gets beat cleanly off the edge by speed and has to hold, that also isn't the QB's fault. . . call half of them legitimately on the QB, clady's still taken too many penalties on his own the last couple years, and has given up significantly more quick pressure. . .

if he doesn't return all the way, or close to all the way to pre-injury form, i think the team should franchise him-- and draft a left tackle with their first pick. . .

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

I agree there dog. I think Clady had one freakish year and has not progressed since, but regressed. Maybe the change of offense will rejuvenaTE him, we can only hope. Everyone got so tired of hearing "Holding # 78" and now he thinks he is top 5? Maybe in Canada. If he sucks again this year, he can take his talents to south beach.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

He should have taken the contract offered IMO. He hasn't shown anything since his injury that he deserves even that. Hopefully he will regain his PB play this year, but if not he will look back and wish he had taken the deal.
    Thanks Shake!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    damn skippy. . .

if dude wants to get paid like joe thomas, he better not have fifty ****ing holding calls this year, because that doesn't resemble elite play in any way, shape or form. . .

don't anybody tell me that shit was all tebow's fault, either-- even a honeybadger angry midget can't blame the QB on a damn running play! and when the guy gets beat cleanly off the edge by speed and has to hold, that also isn't the QB's fault. . . call half of them legitimately on the QB, clady's still taken too many penalties on his own the last couple years, and has given up significantly more quick pressure. . .

if he doesn't return all the way, or close to all the way to pre-injury form, i think the team should franchise him-- and draft a left tackle with their first pick. . .
    Having a starting quarterback that doesn't hold onto the ball to long will help.

12. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    damn skippy. . .

I get what you're saying, and agree he needs to up his game (and not **** up his knees playing pickup basketball), but on the holding calls, in '10 he only had 2 and last year he did jump up to 7, but in fairness, we probably have to put some of that on Tebow. The lienmen had no idea where Tebow was going to be, whether he would stay in the pocket; whether he would get rid of it in 2.5 seconds or 7.5 seconds.

Fact is we got pretty spoiled with him only having two holding calls called on him "in total" his first two years in the league.

14. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

I think he thinks he wants to be in Chicago

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Ryan Clady’s hang up with Broncos contract was guarantee in first 3 years, source says

The guarantee in the first three years of a proposed contract extension was a primary hang up Ryan Clady and and his negotiating team had with the Broncos’ five-year, $50 million offer, according to an NFL source.

The Broncos and Clady, the team’s left tackle, mutually decided Monday to end contract negotiations until after the 2012 season. Clady will make $3.5 million this season, then will become eligible for free agency.

The team’s proposal would have pulled Clady even with the New York Jets’ D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Washington’s Trent Williams as the fourth-highest-paid offensive tackle with an average annual value of $10 million. Only Jason Peters ($12.8 million), Joe Thomas ($11.5 million) and Jake Long ($10.6 million) would have made more.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...3-years/14564/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Bible View Post
    I think he thinks he wants to be in Chicago
    Not sure where this jab came from, but I'm betting Chicago would love to have him.

I hope we don't pull the "we'll see if you stay healthy, then we'll just franchise tag you" stance that has been mentioned. Thats a pretty CRAPPY way to treat drafted players, and the rest of the teammates will see it. Its a business to them as well, and when they see you treat a 'brother employee' with the harsh hand, then they have no reason to believe that you won't screw them the first chance you get (not saying the broncos are screwing anyone, but the perception of the franchise tag is not a positive one). Lets hope they get a deal done.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

18. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

this sucks. with peyton behind him, he'll return to form and the price tag will only go up, especially with other teams bidding at the end of the year. ending talks is only going to cost us money or a very good LT.

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    this sucks. with peyton behind him, he'll return to form and the price tag will only go up, especially with other teams bidding at the end of the year. ending talks is only going to cost us money or a very good LT.
    Well, the idea is that if they again don't reach an agreement, they could always use the franchise tag on him, thus putting us right back into a position we are now. I hope that's not the case, but either way... at least we'll have Clady here protecting our left side.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Well, the idea is that if they again don't reach an agreement, they could always use the franchise tag on him, thus putting us right back into a position we are now. I hope that's not the case, but either way... at least we'll have Clady here protecting our left side.
    i realize that's an option, but clearly not the best. clady is a franchise player, despite his injury struggle and a few holding calls. If what carol posted above is really the issue, i think it would have been much better for the broncos to up the guaranteed money a bit to get to an agreeable level. I think what they offered was fair, but i really think it'll cost much more than a little more than we just offered to keep him by the end of the year, making this offer an eventual low-ball, and making this sentence an absolute structural travesty.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information