Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: C#/.NET Applications

Adopted Bronco:
    Billy Thompson

Default C#/.NET Applications

I am currently taking an online course through Microsoft. Does anyone have work experience using either of the above? Let's chit chat...
    Thanks Mastershake!

I have some experiance. I fiddle with it about everyday, have a few classes in it but am mostly self taught and love using it. No expert...but decent foundation.

C# actually uses .net so i guess your question is if anyone has used C# or any other language that uses .net?

Ask away and I will do my best to answer.

If it is an answer I don't have may try http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-US/categories as thats a place I have used many times in the past.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-16-2009 at 06:30 PM.

You haven't responded yet so not sure if you will be checking back here or not but thought I would add if you happen to ne3ed a good free compiler I have tried out sharp develop a little in the last day here and if I did not allready own visual studio 2008 I would actually consider this myself as it is free and from what I can see just about as good as the paid one I have.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

I may never buy a visual studio edition again.

Adopted Bronco:
    Billy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    C# actually uses .net so i guess your question is if anyone has used C# or any other language that uses .net?

Ask away and I will do my best to answer.

If it is an answer I don't have may try http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-US/categories as thats a place I have used many times in the past.
    Well, I just started taking course 2555 and tried to download and complete the Lab, but was having problems with it. I'll check out the forums and see if some questions get answered there.

I was just wondering what kind of applications you created? Do you have a job in IT?

Thanks for the free compiler link. I will be checking back more often. Just be patient with me...gotta lot going on.
    Thanks Mastershake!

I havent been doing it long myself, only last couple years while in school. Am not in IT and being that I have run out of money won't be finishing school, so no job with an IT company will be coming.

I was smart enough to take all my programming classes before the crap classes that have nothing to do with my degree though so I have the knowledge...just not the paper so will try and do my own thing. make my own software and web sites and sell them.

The few things I have made have all been web sites(asp.net and just normal) and some small buisness software I have wrote for the retail store i work at to simplify some things there.

To be honest though I rather enjoy C# it may stem mostly because thats what I have been taught and currently am teaching myself java.

Supposed to be very similar so hoping small learning curve.

java is a cross platform language that has no care for the OS just so long as java runtime itself is installed so my apps should work well on all OS, not just Windows.

My only issue here will be whether its really worth making apps that will run on linux if most linux users want free stuff. Free is nice...but hard to make money off free applications.

Not sure how companies survive making open source.

Adopted Bronco:
    Billy Thompson

I was wondering because I've seen quite a few IT job postings were they require C#/.NET knowledge. A coworker of mine said to learn C#. He wants to program games and is self-taught.

I agree about open source. I think it is awesome that people so willingly share what they have worked so hard to create. I don't think I'm that generous!
    Last edited by Chica_Ang; 07-22-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: too much wine. :)
    Thanks Mastershake!

Oh C# is definitly a great language.

If doing at all for games may also check out http://www.visual3d.net/

They are a completly C# game engine/world builder still in beta but close to release. Have to purchase when released but for indie developers will be fairly cheap.

Might also check out XNA. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

It is just with the C#, it it still will be my main language, you have to just keep in mind your stuff will just be for windows.

As far as IT goes, there are a lot of jobs I see advertised for C# but it may improve your chances if you have another language under your belt as well.

If I ever am able to finish paying for school my hope is to be able to improve my chances by saying I am able to work with C#, Java, SQL, Access, ASP.Net, HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

If I can teach myself some game programming by then as well then that will be more to add.

If I never get the money to finish school I will simply take my knowledge learned and make a small company of my own.

8. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

I havent been doing it long myself, only last couple years while in school. Am not in IT and being that I have run out of money won't be finishing school, so no job with an IT company will be coming.

I was smart enough to take all my programming classes before the crap classes that have nothing to do with my degree though so I have the knowledge...just not the paper so will try and do my own thing. make my own software and web sites and sell them.

The few things I have made have all been web sites(asp.net and just normal) and some small buisness software I have wrote for the retail store i work at to simplify some things there.

To be honest though I rather enjoy C# it may stem mostly because thats what I have been taught and currently am teaching myself java.

Supposed to be very similar so hoping small learning curve.

java is a cross platform language that has no care for the OS just so long as java runtime itself is installed so my apps should work well on all OS, not just Windows.

My only issue here will be whether its really worth making apps that will run on linux if most linux users want free stuff. Free is nice...but hard to make money off free applications.

Not sure how companies survive making open source.
    Most linux users (like myself) do indeed want free stuff, but perhaps not the free you are thinking of. You might be thinking of free as in free beer, where I am thinking free as in free speech.

Companies use all sorts of "open source" stuff like math and science. Some folks feel that computer science should fall under the same "open" umbrella. Is math and science hard to make money off of?

It's just a case of if one makes some applications and noone wants to buy they just want it open sourse how exactly can a company survive?

Unless I missing the whole idea(quite possibly) your just not going to have any way of providing income for yourself and of course then none for any employees as well if your not getting cash for what you make.

I know there is the thing of you lookie at my code I can lookie at yours and what they use of yours you can also grab thier applications for free so you are saving a little overhead but to me not nearly as much as your losing in sales.

As I said its very possible that open sourse companies have some sort of buisness plan I don't know about but at the moment I just don't have any idea how they survive without selling their creations.

It's just a case of if one makes some applications and noone wants to buy they just want it open sourse how exactly can a company survive?

Unless I missing the whole idea(quite possibly) your just not going to have any way of providing income for yourself and of course then none for any employees as well if your not getting cash for what you make.

I know there is the thing of you lookie at my code I can lookie at yours and what they use of yours you can also grab thier applications for free so you are saving a little overhead but to me not nearly as much as your losing in sales.

As I said its very possible that open sourse companies have some sort of buisness plan I don't know about but at the moment I just don't have any idea how they survive without selling their creations.
    I don't know how the big boys roll, but for a freelancer its easy. Company A comes to me needing a program. By releasing it under the GPL I can offer them the source code so they can have more of a ownership than just a a copy of a program. They are not dependent on me for anything in the future. They don't have to take my word thats it is secure, doesn't waste resources, etc. They are free to change it as they see fit any time in the future.
    Now I have been paid for my time and Company A has what they need. If Company B wants to use it, great. Thats the best advertising for me. When Company B has a problem that can't be addressed by the program, wants it tweaked to suit their needs, or needs something completely new, they will come to me first. Then we start it over again.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Hi Chica

I am not a computer nerd, but I do like Chicas.

13. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

For what it's worth, I've done stuff in C#.

If you have a question, I'll try to check in and see if I can answer it.
    "You do not mess with Pat Bowlen, and you definitely do not ignore him''

Link to quote

15. The Following User High Fived studbucket For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by studbucket View Post
    For what it's worth, I've done stuff in C#.

If you have a question, I'll try to check in and see if I can answer it.

Hey, stud. How have you been?

Haven't seen you around in awhile.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

If you can code in java, picking up C# is not a problem. I like it ok, but since .net supports python, well, I <3 python. As far as coding games in c#, good luck. As far as how do people make money coding open source programs. People that do it well get plenty of money donated towards them. There is also the aspect of if a well used piece of software gets abandoned, its more likely that someone will pick it up and continue to support it.

But hey, without open source, we wouldn't have OS X.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post

Hey, stud. How have you been?

Haven't seen you around in awhile.
    Doing well, living in Seattle now I check a few times a week, but I've kind of given up posting, was taking too much of my time. I trust you are well too, since you're still posting and having fun here.
    "You do not mess with Pat Bowlen, and you definitely do not ignore him''

Link to quote

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information