Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BRONCOS Marshall must report July 27

Default BRONCOS Marshall must report July 27

BRONCOS Marshall must report July 27 Coach wants unhappy receiver in camp before most veterans by Mike Klis The Denver Post

As an injured player, Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall has been informed he needs to show up for training camp with the team's rookies on July 27.

As a disgruntled player, Marshall is a threat to continue his protest of his existing contract by failing to report to the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters by his assigned date.
    All players received a letter from coach Josh McDaniels that formally notified them of their reporting dates for training camp. Veterans who demonstrated healthy bodies through the Broncos' off- season minicamps don't have to report until July 30, with two-a-day workout sessions commencing the next day.

Rookies and players rehabilitating from injury are scheduled to report July 27.

Marshall is coming off hip surgery that forced him to miss the entire offseason. He also sent the message he was un-happy with the Broncos' medical treatment and his contract by moving his rehabilitation away from the team's facility, then skipping the final minicamp in mid-June.

However, there is a chance Marshall's holdout could end sooner rather than later. All players who don't report by Aug. 11 must forfeit an accrued season. That would leave Marshall as a third-year player in 2009 instead of a fourth-year player. In turn, he would remain another season from the potential jackpot that is unrestricted free-agent eligibility.

"I'm not worried about that until it becomes apparent that those dates are going to mean something," McDaniels said recently. "Right now I'm looking at July 27. That's when he's
    supposed to report. We're looking forward to it."

Marshall is coming off back-to-back 100-catch seasons and is set to draw a $2.198 million salary in the final segment of a four-year contract he signed as a fourth-round drafted rookie in 2006.

He is working out in Minneapolis with the Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald, who is widely considered the NFL's top wide receiver.

After one of those recent workouts, Marshall was asked by Yahoo.com if he would report to training camp on time and said, "Well, I'm under contract with the Broncos ."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...most-veterans-

I found it interesting he was able to run with the best of the best but not show up a couple of weeks ago to be with him teammates to learn the new scheme and get to know his new team mates..
    Last edited by Lonestar; 07-15-2009 at 06:21 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

He was holding out... He wants a new contract or to be traded. It's no secret. He never said he wasn't healthy enough to show up in Denver. He didn't want to. At least he was working out somewhere. I can't blame him for being a little pissed. We misdiagnosed his hip injury twice. And were paying him crap money for a reciever with his numbers. His hold out is over and he'll be at training camp. Time to let the holdout grudge go.

Happy to hear this.

He's a big cog in the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Italianmobstr7 View Post
    He was holding out... He wants a new contract or to be traded. It's no secret. He never said he wasn't healthy enough to show up in Denver. He didn't want to. At least he was working out somewhere. I can't blame him for being a little pissed. We misdiagnosed his hip injury twice. And were paying him crap money for a reciever with his numbers. His hold out is over and he'll be at training camp. Time to let the holdout grudge go.
    Perhaps you read this correctly better than every one. They almost to a person said it was he wanted a trade.

Almost none of them talked about it being about money. Many said it was about the hip issuse. But we all know that the was BE since he was not hurt enough not to go to the pro bowl and perform poorly.

If the hip was indeed the biggie sticking point he should have danced a jig knowing the evil guy that made him play was fired. He should have embraced Josh when he was hired knowing that he loves WR's in the spread offense. That moss set NFL records under Josh.
    What we all know is he got bad advise from someone, jay, other WR's while at the PB, his GF or his agent. On how to make more money, if he thought this all up by himself he is even dumber than I even thought he was. FWIW that was already moron.

Now you have let the cat out of the bag it is about money.

Its been reported, long ago, that Marshall wasn't upset with Shanahan, but with the training staff that MIS-diagnosed his hip problem. That training staff is STILL in Denver. Hence why he went somewhere else to train, and why he made it CLEAR that he wasn't coming back until he had to.

He also stated that he wanted a raise. A raise, imo, that he deserves considering guys like Martinez are getting paid as much money as he is.

The MAIN source people are using as his want for a trade, is the frustrated rant he made to the police officer. Who here hasn't shot off at the mouth at a stressful moment?? Not showing up for the mini-camps was, as SOOOO many players have done in the NFL, a statement show he's serious about wanting a new contract. Of course he does. When you look at the players on the roster that got paid as much, and more, money than he has and haven't put the production like Marshall has on the field, I would feel pretty pissed too.

So yes its about money. Yes its about the training staff that mis-diagnosed his hip (Not Shanahan) that could have cost him his career. Why wouldn't he be mad at them? Wouldn't you be mad at your local doctor if he misdiagnosed something that could have cost you the ability to walk or do your job??? Would you go back to him?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

7. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Brandon Marshall says he'll be at training camp

This morning Vic Lombardi ran the actual sound bite of Brandon saying the following, but I can not find it, but here is the article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/

In an interview with ESPN, apparently from the red carpet at the ESPY awards, an ascot-wearing Brandon Marshall said that he'll show up for training camp later this month.

"Right now I'm obligated, I'm under contract. . . . It's $14,000 a day if i miss," Marshall said. "I'm not stupid. So I will be there."

(Whether Marshall is or isn't stupid is a topic about which reasonable minds could differ. Clearly, he has done more than a few stupid things over the years.)

Actually, it's more like $17,000 per day for a training-camp holdout, if Marshall chooses to stay away. And he'd also owe the remaining 75 percent of his 2009 signing-bonus allocation of $100,000 or so; he forfeited the first 25 percent by skipping a mandatory minicamp in June, if the team decides to push the matter.

But whether Marshall and the team are truly on the same page remains to be seen. Marshall hinted during his ESPY sound bite at an agreement he reached with owner Pat Bowlen during a recent meeting, which presumably is a reference to the supposed promise by Bowlen that he will trade Marshall, if Marshall wants out.

So even though Marshall is going to show up, there could be some fireworks after he gets there.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    This morning Vic Lombardi ran the actual sound bite of Brandon saying the following, but I can not find it, but here is the article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/

In an interview with ESPN, apparently from the red carpet at the ESPY awards, an ascot-wearing Brandon Marshall said that he'll show up for training camp later this month.

"Right now I'm obligated, I'm under contract. . . . It's $14,000 a day if i miss," Marshall said. "I'm not stupid. So I will be there."

(Whether Marshall is or isn't stupid is a topic about which reasonable minds could differ. Clearly, he has done more than a few stupid things over the years.)

Actually, it's more like $17,000 per day for a training-camp holdout, if Marshall chooses to stay away. And he'd also owe the remaining 75 percent of his 2009 signing-bonus allocation of $100,000 or so; he forfeited the first 25 percent by skipping a mandatory minicamp in June, if the team decides to push the matter.

But whether Marshall and the team are truly on the same page remains to be seen. Marshall hinted during his ESPY sound bite at an agreement he reached with owner Pat Bowlen during a recent meeting, which presumably is a reference to the supposed promise by Bowlen that he will trade Marshall, if Marshall wants out.

So even though Marshall is going to show up, there could be some fireworks after he gets there.
    Well the agreement hinted at with Pat Bowlen could either reference a trade, or it could reference Bowlen's promise to Marshall that if he performs, and stays out of trouble that he will get a new contract with us later this year.

At least PFT could TRY to give the full story.

10. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Well the agreement hinted at with Pat Bowlen could either reference a trade, or it could reference Bowlen's promise to Marshall that if he performs, and stays out of trouble that he will get a new contract with us later this year.

At least PFT could TRY to give the full story.
    I knew i wasnt crazy in seeing that reported....Finally someone else remembers it too.

Thanks NTL.

I made almost the exact same post in another thread here. But i seemed to be the only one remembering that....

I salute you.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

When you look at the players on the roster that got paid as much, and more, money than he has and haven't put the production like Marshall has on the field, I would feel pretty pissed too.

Really? How many of those players slap their girls around or have constant trouble with the law? I'll wait.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I knew i wasnt crazy in seeing that reported....Finally someone else remembers it too.

Thanks NTL.

I made almost the exact same post in another thread here. But i seemed to be the only one remembering that....

I salute you.
    Adam Shefter is the one who reported it. No direct quotes, but that's what he reported... . .unless my brain is totally failing nowadays.

15. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Adam Shefter is the one who reported it. No direct quotes, but that's what he reported... . .unless my brain is totally failing nowadays.
    This is what Gary Miller said when Brandon posted on his website - what Brandon FAILED to mention - what Bowlen told him:

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=58461@kcnc.dayport.com

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

17. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Really? How many of those players slap their girls around or have constant trouble with the law? I'll wait.
    Again, if you are talking about PAYING a football player, lets get realistic. The NFL isn't a game of goodie-two-shoes. You want the best football players on the field, then you must pay the best football players to stay. Thats reality.

But.. I guess since Glenn Martinez hasn't had any problems, then I suppose you would like to do with him at WR instead of studs like Marshall.

Btw.. there was another great WR that was charged with domestic violence and played for the Broncos... the name was Rod Smith. Heard of him? Point being, quit judging the player (or the person). Lets keep the best players instead of HOPING to find a player with his caliber of play, and wins the sainthood award. Its not going to happen.

I personally think/feel a player that puts up the kind of production on the field deserves to be paid for that production rather than paying him like a Glenn Martinez. Maybe you don't feel that way.. fine. But don't think the NFL is just full of nice guys.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

19. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Again, if you are talking about PAYING a football player, lets get realistic. The NFL isn't a game of goodie-two-shoes. You want the best football players on the field, then you must pay the best football players to stay. Thats reality.

But.. I guess since Glenn Martinez hasn't had any problems, then I suppose you would like to do with him at WR instead of studs like Marshall.

Btw.. there was another great WR that was charged with domestic violence and played for the Broncos... the name was Rod Smith. Heard of him? Point being, quit judging the player (or the person). Lets keep the best players instead of HOPING to find a player with his caliber of play, and wins the sainthood award. Its not going to happen.

I personally think/feel a player that puts up the kind of production on the field deserves to be paid for that production rather than paying him like a Glenn Martinez. Maybe you don't feel that way.. fine. But don't think the NFL is just full of nice guys.
    Rod was charged - turned his life around, and did NOT do it again - major difference - if Brandon had done it once, and then followed in Rod's footsteps, as far as off field, we would not be having this discussion about Brandon.

And, since Rod was brought up in this discussion, as far as being charged with domestic violence, here is EXACTLY how Rod handled it: Really a shame that Brandon did not listen to Rod more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3711275

NONE OF this is meant to suggest that Smith is perfect. In January 2000, he was arrested on a domestic-abuse charge stemming from an incident involving the mother of his two sons, Jamie Mourglia. For a guy dedicated to turning negatives into positives, this was a serious challenge.

In the aftermath of the arrest, his two sons, Roderick Jr., now 13, and Devin, 11, moved with their mother to Florida. His positive image temporarily suspended, Smith underwent 36 weeks of anger-management counseling and ended up on Oprah, the self-help mountaintop, discussing his new definition of being a man. "I was taught that we as men walk around carrying bags. We keep putting stuff in themking of the household, breadwinner, tough guy-until those bags break. First I learned not to put stuff in those bags, and then I dropped the bags altogether."

Roderick and Devin spend summers, holidays and most home-game weekends with their father. The second story of the new house is theirs. A daughter from a previous relationship, 15-year-old Vanessa, lives with her mother in Missouri. Vanessa has sickle-cell anemia that requires monthly transfusions. He sees her less often. "I learned a lot about my past by facing my present, and I miss my kids every day," Smith says. "Just because you're on the pedestal, with millions of dollars and fame, doesn't mean you don't have issues. It's all about how you deal with them."

Smith's rule is to not run away: After you make a mess, the worst thing you can make is an excuse.
    Last edited by Denver Native (Carol); 07-16-2009 at 12:58 PM.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

the broncos MUST give him more money and a contract extention. without marshall the broncos offense would almost be depleted. if marshall leaves the offseason by the broncos front office might be considered one of the worst ever by giving up a pro bowl qb and a pro bowl wr. it's important the broncos give him more money so we can have a good offensive year. and with next years draft, the broncos may need to draft a qb and with marshall and royal, that maybe needed qb might have a smooth transition into the nfl let alone the broncos' system

Brandon would be a huge loss for sure. But our offense wouldnt suffer big time without him.

Knowshon will be the leader of our offense. We will live and die with him. Of course Brandon and Eddie are a huge part of that too. Kyle the oline and the rest of the guys.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

24. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information