Thread: Arturo Gatti found dead

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Arturo Gatti found dead

Arturo Gatti Found Dead
    Police Detain Gatti's Wife as Suspect
    By TALES AZZONI (AP)
    July 12, 2009

Arturo Gatti, the former junior welterweight champion was found dead in a hotel room early Saturday at the age of 37. Gatti, known for his legendary bouts that electrified fans, participated in Ring Magazine's 'Fight of the Year' a total of four times.

The wife of former boxing champion Arturo Gatti was detained as a suspect by Brazilian authorities Sunday following his death at a posh seaside resort.

Police said 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues was taken into custody after contradictions in her interrogation. Gatti's body was found early Saturday in a hotel room at the Porto de Galinhas resort in northeastern Brazil.

The former junior welterweight champion was apparently strangled with the strap of a purse, which was found at the scene with blood stains, said Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state civil police. She told The Associated Press that the Canadian also had a head injury.

The investigation was not complete, but Saraiva said authorities were preparing to present a formal accusation against Rodrigues, who denied being involved in her husband's death.

Police said Rodrigues, a Brazilian, could not explain how she spent nearly 10 hours in the room without noticing that Gatti was already dead.

Police were investigating witness reports that the couple fought and Gatti was drunk when he returned to his room Friday night, Saraiva said, adding that police were told the pair were extremely jealous of each other and that he constantly complained of her clothing when she traveled to Brazil.

Remembering Gatti

Acelino "Popo'' Freitas, a four-time world champion Brazilian boxer, told Globo TV's Web site on Saturday that he was a close friend of Gatti and his wife and that he "knew they were having some sort of problem and were about to separate.''

The couple's 1-year-old son, who was unhurt, was with Rodrigues' sister, Saraiva said.

The 37-year-old Gatti, whose epic trilogy with Micky Ward branded him one of the most exciting fighters of his generation, retired in 2007 with a career record of 40-9 and 31 knockouts.

Known for his straightforward punching and granite-like chin, Gatti captured the junior welterweight title in 1995, when he defeated Tracy Harris Patterson in Atlantic City.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

dont remember the year but the greatest boxing match i ever saw was irish mickey ward and arturo gatti.
    those guys pounded each other for 12 rounds relentlessly,i cant believe he was killed by his wife with a purse?

I don't really know him much... But RIP

Damn, how many people are going to die this month?
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    i cant believe he was killed by his wife with a purse?
    If story is true - he was drunk, and it said he also had a head injury. She could have hit him in the head with something - knocking him out - and then strangled him with the purse strap.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    If story is true - he was drunk, and it said he also had a head injury. She could have hit him in the head with something - knocking him out - and then strangled him with the purse strap.
    i know but still its hard to imagine one of the toughest hombre's pound for pound ive ever seen getting KILLED by his wife.
    he must have been really drunk or passed out,or she is one tough customer.
    still very sad news and its a shame people let emotions get so out of control tragedies like this happen.

6. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information