Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should rule #10 (off-topic posts) be enforced more tightly?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Should rule #10 (off-topic posts) be enforced more tightly?

Here is the rule for those who don't know...

10. Stay on topic. While moderators will allow threads to wander a bit in the natural course of the discussion, posts that are clearly off topic or are meant to intentionally derail or spam a thread will be removed.
    I mostly mean this in reference to the way that so many threads in Broncos Talk these says seem to derail into Tebow arguments.

I have no problem with Tebow still being discussed and argued about in the appropriate forums, but when I try to read a thread about Manning or DT or some other player, it really drags down my enjoyment of this board when someone brings up Tebow and the thread immediately rolls off topic to an argument about him.

And please, don't give me the "What are we not allowed to bash Tebow?" crap that I get whenever I bring this point up. Like I said, I have no problem with people bashing away at him in the appropriate forums.

Maybe I'm just overreacting and this will all go away once we start winning games with Manning but for now I just see this as a huge annoyance.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

I think that if you try to over moderate every thread as to whats on topic or whats not, then you can simply kill a thread after about three responses....generally.

If a thread is side-railed by a Tebow comment, IGNORE the comment. The only way it grows and continues is if you respond and argue, thus causing more Tebow related responses.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think that if you try to over moderate every thread as to whats on topic or whats not, then you can simply kill a thread after about three responses....generally.

If a thread is side-railed by a Tebow comment, IGNORE the comment. The only way it grows and continues is if you respond and argue, thus causing more Tebow related responses.
    That's WAY easier said than done. Too many posters on this board are far too immature to just ignore Tebow comments. I honestly think it's because they are just looking to argue about Tebow. I'm normally against over-moderating too but when you have a thread about DT learning to run routes and someone mentions he never had to with Tebow then every response becomes about Tebow it's just kills any chance of an on-topic discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    That's WAY easier said than done. Too many posters on this board are far too immature to just ignore Tebow comments. I honestly think it's because they are just looking to argue about Tebow. I'm normally against over-moderating too but when you have a thread about DT learning to run routes and someone mentions he never had to with Tebow then every response becomes about Tebow it's just kills any chance of an on-topic discussion.
    It only kills the discussion if you respond to it. If you simply respond to only the things on topic, then you still remain on topic. What you DON'T like, is reading the negative comments about Tebow.

As far as your example, for instance, some may see it that Tebow is relevant to that particular discussion. I certainly think that the fact that we had a very poor throwing QB last year (who's Name IS Tebow) hurt our WRs in alllllll kinds of aspects of the game, and having to run precise routes is certainly one of them.

Its the offseason, there really isn't much to talk about other than the same arguments we had last season. Until something new actually happens.

Just watch though...during the season when everyone is playing, people will be BRAGGING about Tebow's newest TD run. Its back and forth, but thats what people that are passionate about the sport (as well as the Broncos) are going to do.

You aren't going to get away from people bringing up Tebow now, because it was brought up SOOOOOO much prior to last season. Just as you aren't going to get away from people putting down McDoosh, I mean McDick.....er.... McDork.............because he's what people ENJOY putting down.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It only kills the discussion if you respond to it. If you simply respond to only the things on topic, then you still remain on topic. What you DON'T like, is reading the negative comments about Tebow.
    This could not be further than the truth. I'm a big boy, I have no problem reading negative comments about Tebow. I don't even disagree with alot of the negative things about Tebow. I get more annoyed reading the effusive praise from his fanboys than the criticism.

And once again, you act like if I ignore the comments it will magically make the Tebow discussion go away. When you have people (Tebow fans and haters alike) determined to debate about him in every thread possible, ignoring them won't make them stop. There are enough on both side who are too immature to stop.

Like it or not, this is a rule, and I think it should be enforced a little more than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    This could not be further than the truth. I'm a big boy, I have no problem reading negative comments about Tebow. I don't even disagree with alot of the negative things about Tebow. I get more annoyed reading the effusive praise from his fanboys than the criticism.

And once again, you act like if I ignore the comments it will magically make the Tebow discussion go away. When you have people (Tebow fans and haters alike) determined to debate about him in every thread possible, ignoring them won't make them stop. There are enough on both side who are too immature to stop.

Like it or not, this is a rule, and I think it should be enforced a little more than it is.
    I hear what you are saying. But I also recognize that there are several posters on here that simply ignore the banter, and then post something right back on topic of the thread. I'm saying, that if you don't want to participate in the "whatevers" going on in the thread (no matter where it has strayed)...then scan and skim through the crap, and respond to one that is on topic.

The ONLY problem I have with what you are saying, or suggesting, is that some of the most enjoyable and great discussions on this board have evolved from a different topic that was initially started in the OP of the thread. Just like when you sit and talk with friends, one thing leads to another thing, leads to something else. If the mods constantly have to erase posts that THEY deem are not appropriate to the thread (and that opens up a whole new discussion on its own), then you would see them having to make judgement calls as to whats "appropriate" to the thread and whats not.

Per your example. DT running better routes and Tebow COULD very well be related. If a person TRULY believes that the fact that Tebow was a horrible passer didn't really require these guys to run precise routes, OR... that no matter how precise the route was run the QB couldn't get him the ball...... then it IS a part of the OP thread post. So then you have a mod trying to determine if its truly on topic, or not. If they believe it is, then it upsets those that want to defend Tim. If they feel its not on topic, then you've upset those that feel the points given were right on point.

I'm just saying that by asking for more moderation on what is posted and what isn't, per thread.. per discussion.... is asking a lot from the mods. People want to argue. Its more fun, generally... and we saw it with the Griese/Brister... and Plummer... Cutler....McDoosh... and Tebow. It's always going to be that way.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

OP-yes they should be. Damn near every thread here goes off topic and stays there. Not good
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I agree with you BTB, and I also agree with Rav, it happens in more threads than not. It's a tough call, and being a mod on here in the past, there is no way that the mods could remove every off topic post in every thread. My only thought is if some poster(s) do it on a consistent basis, that may be easier to handle than every off topic post.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Is this about Tebow? Hate that guy.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Softskull For This Post:

I pooped my pants in the first grade, right at my desk; true story......

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Sorry, I had to tell Dzone that the chic in his sig was sizzlin and made an off topic post. I understand the McDaniels debacle hasn't been hashed out enough......good thing another thread was made to rehash it.

I don't care if people go off topic when you see a thread dying or the topic has been beaten to death then another thread is made on the same topic. How many times can one argue the same shit when you'll never know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Sorry, I had to tell Dzone that the chic in his sig was sizzlin and made an off topic post. I understand the McDaniels debacle hasn't been hashed out enough......good thing another thread was made to rehash it.

I don't care if people go off topic when you see a thread dying or the topic has been beaten to death then another thread is made on the same topic. How many times can one argue the same shit when you'll never know the answer.
    See, I don't get this. You go into a thread that is clearly labled for a discussion on a particular topic, and then complain that its been "hashed out" too much in that thread. So you post something off topic, simply to post something off topic, because you don't like reading the arguments about the topic of the thread, in the VERY thread you just opened up??

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Actually seeing you and BTB argue is quite entertaining. I did agree with BroncoJoe's post. Carry on.

20. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

See, I don't get this. You go into a thread that is clearly labled for a discussion on a particular topic, and then complain that its been "hashed out" too much in that thread. So you post something off topic, simply to post something off topic, because you don't like reading the arguments about the topic of the thread, in the VERY thread you just opened up??
    Yes, but clearly its EVERYONE else that is over dramatic although those who do not like discussing such subjects find their way into those threads anyway. Kind of funny that the topic starter is whining about threads degrading into Tebow arguments while he himself went into a McDaniels thread and started derailing it and making it about the fans supposed overreaction. lmao

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yes, but clearly its EVERYONE else that is over dramatic although those who do not like discussing such subjects find their way into those threads anyway. Kind of funny that the topic starter is whining about threads degrading into Tebow arguments while he himself went into a McDaniels thread and started derailing it and making it about the fans supposed overreaction. lmao
    My first response was directly on topic of the thread. It asked if having Manning is worth the pain McD put us through, and i said I wasn't really in "pain" in the first place. It was people like you and Rav who got your panties in a wad over that comment.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information