Thread: 2 TE sets (cool video)

Default 2 TE sets (cool video)

I came across this video and found it very interesting. It seem like a dynamic strategy and formation, especially with the right personnel. Are the Broncos going to be using this? Because looking at the splits, Orton did very well in 2 TE formations and the Broncos have the TEs to pull it off. Here's the video, very interesting watch.

(no, it's not to talk smack, it's to talk 2 TE sets)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...tight-end-sets

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived tumbana For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Number 7

good find... always wished we'd have kept Clark. He was pretty good with us as well. If Graham and Quinn have the blocking ability (and I still say Graham catches fairly well, just involve him earlier in the game, and someone just posted something on Quinn having decent hands also), with Putz and Scheff being the "catching tight ends", we would have this kind of versatility to throw at whoever... This kind of option out of a single personnel grouping is a beautiful thing. Thanks. Will be interesting to see if we follow suit on this set up.
    "What do you want your dash to represent?"

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsnv View Post
    good find... always wished we'd have kept Clark. He was pretty good with us as well. If Graham and Quinn have the blocking ability (and I still say Graham catches fairly well, just involve him earlier in the game, and someone just posted something on Quinn having decent hands also), with Putz and Scheff being the "catching tight ends", we would have this kind of versatility to throw at whoever... This kind of option out of a single personnel grouping is a beautiful thing. Thanks. Will be interesting to see if we follow suit on this set up.
    Yeah it's really crazy how versatile the formation is. I didn't even realize how it was so versatile until I saw this vid.

Edit: Isn't Graham a good blocking TE? The Broncos definitely have the personnel. The question is will they run it much? Because Orton was at his best with the 2 TEs on the field. It was a comfortable formation for him.
    Last edited by tumbana; 07-02-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

This is why I never understood the Tony Scheffer trade talk. His ability to play wide automatically make him a strong candidate to influence plays.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Number 7

Quote Originally Posted by tumbana View Post

Edit: Isn't Graham a good blocking TE? The Broncos definitely have the personnel. The question is will they run it much? Because Orton was at his best with the 2 TEs on the field. It was a comfortable formation for him.
    Absolutely Graham is a blocker... really, that's why we got him. One of, if not THE BEST in the game.
    "What do you want your dash to represent?"

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Well, people seem to think McDaniels only likes to use TEs as blockers...traditionally that is what NE has done...but honestly, I don't see how he couldnt use 2 or even 3 TE sets here. Like the video shows, you have so much versatility in what you can do.

Imagine lining up in a single back two TE set with two WRs out wide. Then all of a sudden Graham motions to the backfield and Scheff motions out wide. Now all of a sudden the defense goes from looking at a two TE single back set to looking at a 3 WR I-formation. It has the potential of creating serious matchup problems.

Also I wouldnt be surprised to see Graham, Scheff, and Quinn on the field as well as Hillis in as an H-back...Potentially you have a 4-TE formation and the combinations of passing mismatches and running plays you could run from that formation would be endless.

It really makes me excited to see what McDaniels comes up with. Orton looked great in that video and I have a feeling McDaniels will make Orton look better than he probably is by utilizing formations and creating mismatches.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

I came across this video and found it very interesting. It seem like a dynamic strategy and formation, especially with the right personnel. Are the Broncos going to be using this? Because looking at the splits, Orton did very well in 2 TE formations and the Broncos have the TEs to pull it off. Here's the video, very interesting watch.

just FWIW was orton #18 last year? I was unable to read a name off the jersey..

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsnv View Post
    Absolutely Graham is a blocker... really, that's why we got him. One of, if not THE BEST in the game.

but he is a damned fine receiver also.. not going to beat you down field but inside the RZ he caught more than his share of passes and TD's over the years..

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Wow!! That was a . . . like a . . . good post!

I knew you had it in ya! (Well, I really didn't, but congrats.)

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

12. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    just FWIW was orton #18 last year? I was unable to read a name off the jersey..
    Yup, Orton was #18. He would have been here, too, but he couldn't.

Something about Frank Tripucka . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Yup, Orton was #18. He would have been here, too, but he couldn't.

Something about Frank Tripucka . . .

-----

I thought so after watching him make good decision on the tape it gives me even more assurance we will be in good hands..

in fact I feel better now than I think I would have with jay as he was always looking down his receiver and looking for the big pass instead of taking what was open..
    Last edited by Lonestar; 07-03-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I thought so after watching him make good decision on the tape it gives me even more assurance we will be in good hands..

in fact I feel better now than I think I would have with jay as he was always looking down his receiver and looking for the big pass instead of taking what was open..
    To be fair, Orton did his fair share of staring down receivers.

Back to the 2 TE sets, I love the versatility of it. With two great receiving TEs, it can really cause a lot mismatches for a defense.

On a side note, I think the trio of Cutler, Olsen, and Forte are going to be the heart and soul of this offense for years to come.

Olsen is a very special talent. He runs excellent routes, has tremendious hands, catches very well in traffic, and while a TE, can play wideout. A lot of naysayers on this board may want to question Chicago's receivers, but at 6'5 255, he is faster then Marshall. Not trying to spark an argument here, just showing the type of weapons that Cutler does have.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information