Thread: Modern Warfare drops CoD brand

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Modern Warfare drops CoD brand

Modern Warfare 2 Hurt by Name Change?
    Consumer awarness falls as Modern Warfare 2 ditches Call of Duty brand.
    by Orlando Parfitt, IGN

June 25, 2009 - Activision and Infinity Ward could be cutting into their profits for Modern Warfare 2 by dropping the Call of Duty moniker, according to tracking firm OTX.

Gamasutra reports that in a survey of US gamers conducted by the firm, consumer awareness levels for the game with Call of Duty at the front of the title were at 40 per cent. However this fell to just 20 per cent when the title was switched to just Modern Warfare 2.

OTX boffin Nick Williams does the math: "The Call of Duty brand association essentially doubles the awareness for the game. That is quite a remarkable statistic."

Indeed it is, although Activision shouldn't go crying to their bank managers just yet. OTX do go on to say that 'purchase intent' for the title was still four times above average, and that's before a sure-to-be-huge marketing push closer to the title's release this November. Says Williams: "Even without the Call of Duty association, it is still perceived as a must have title."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/998/998139p1.html
    I don't see this as relevant at all. Any gamer worth their salt knows Modern Warfare 2 is a sequel to Call of Duty 4-Modern Warfare. I don't see it impacting sales at all for PS3 or 360.

This is because of the two different developers within Activision. Infinity Ward produced the original CoD for PC, the game engine for CoD2 for 360 and PC, CoD4-MW and now the sequel simply called MW2. Treyarch produced CoD2 for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, CoD3 (which I think was a GREAT WW2 shooter) and CoD-World at War.

Treyarch I believe sticks to the wars of history mainly WW2 up to now, they are already working on the latest version of CoD, which unofficially technically will be CoD7. Some say it may be based in Vietnam, while others suggested it will be a fictional war in Africa set in the 50's. I guess IW doesn't wanted to be associated with the WW2/historical FPS genre, so they dropped the CoD name.

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I think it can only help. COD3 was horrible, and part 4 saved the franchise. Call of Duty will always be associated with WWII games, Modern Warfare should be its own brand. I don't call it COD4: Modern Warfare, I call it "the good one".

Speaking of good games, I just picked up Ghostbusters last week and that game is surprisingly awesome!

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I am one of the few that actually really liked CoD3.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I am one of the few that actually really liked CoD3.
    It was just fine, but it was more like an expansion for part 2. Part 4 is where it really broke new ground. You can only do so many WWII games. I for one really liked Medal of Honor until the later PS2 games. They should reboot that franchise.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I am one of the few that enjoy WWII FPSs, and I REALLY liked CoD3.

I hope they don't **** up the new Wolfenstein coming in August. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of my favorite games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Modern Warfare 2 regains Call of Duty prefix
    By Tor Thorsen
    GameSpot.com
    July 9, 2009

UPDATE- Final box art for anticipated game carries name of original series; Activision confirms change, says title is series' "first true sequel."

When Modern Warfare 2 was announced during the Game Developers Choice Awards in March, it did not carry the same title prefix as its processor, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Ever since then, not one single television spot or announcement related to the game has referred to it as anything other than "Modern Warfare 2." Indeed, the name "Call of Duty" has been mentioned by publisher Activision only when referencing the game's developer, Santa Monica, California-based Infinity Ward.

Now, though, Infinity Ward's director of communications and community manager has revealed that the prefix is back. In a Twitter post this afternoon, Robert Bowling announced that he "just received the first Modern Warfare 2 boxes straight off the press. 'S*** just got real.'" The accompanying photo shows the box as bearing the title "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2."

[UPDATE] Activision has now confirmed the change with the following statement:

Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 is the direct sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. We have focused our attention on Modern Warfare in order to most effectively communicate the fact that this is the first true sequel in the Call of Duty series. Infinity Ward, the original creators of the Call of Duty franchise, has said from the beginning Modern Warfare 2 resides in the Call of Duty universe. This is reflected in the title's package.

The name change's timing comes just a few weeks after a study from tracking firm OTX (cited by GamaSutra) found that the game's awareness level amongst potential buyers dropped 20 percent when it did not have the Call of Duty prefix in the title.

The return of the COD prefix also quashes the widely held belief amongst game-industry watchers that Modern Warfare was being spun off into its own independent franchise. Activision hinted that such a move was in the works when the publisher said that subseries had "taken on a life of its own" three months ago. It also remains unclear if Modern Warfare 2 is the "unique new IP" that Infinity Ward teased when its leading developers renewed their contracts with Activision last summer.
    So... all that was all for nothing. It didn't matter anyway, everyone knew it was CoD.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Modern Warfare 2's 'Prestige Edition' Is Insane
    Icludes an artbook, a downloadable version of COD1, and... night vision goggles?
    By Jim Reilly, IGN

July 13, 2009 - Gamers who want the "most limited" edition of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be getting more than just a game.

Infinty Ward Community Manager Robert Bowling had been teasing on twitter a movie he had put together of the un-boxing of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 box. Little did we know that by "box" he meant "night vision goggles."

Let's try and calm ourselves down here and go over what's include.

First, they revealed there will be a "Harden Edition" that will retail for $80. This edition includes:

Modern Warfare 2

A tin case

A token to download the original Call of Duty

An artbook

Here's the breakdown for what the "Prestige Edition" comes with:
    Modern Warfare 2: Harden Edition (see above)

Fully functioning night vision goggles: alternating modes, MW2 branded with a sculpted head stand.

Price of the Prestige Edition was conveniently not revealed, but I confidently predict it will cost over $100.

The original Call of Duty download will be available for PSN, XBLA, and PC. It's still unknown how much, if any, of the multiplayer modes will remain.

"I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information