Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fires in Colorado Springs.

Default fires in Colorado Springs.

I hope and pray that any of Broncos nation and anyone else who lives in the area is safe from the fires.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoBowlby 88 For This Post:

This fire is nasty. 32,000 evacuated as of last night. We have a family staying with us as of tomorrow from my work since we live on the opposite side of town that the fire is on.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Not to detract from the intent of this thread, but it's in the wrong forum.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

They've increased the number of C-130s dropping fire retardant from 3 to 5 today. Pray that the winds shift back to a westerly direction (Pike national forest is unpopulated and directly west of the Springs) as well as enough moisture to generate rain. Humidity has been <10% this past week (as low as 2% at times) and record setting temps hitting 100 (mostly 95+ though.) While I'm a few miles from the fire I've had a number of friends evacuated and one provide his own confirmation that his house is no more.

Best place to go for updates: http://www.kktv.com and click on the live stream link.

6. The Following User High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

sad news, devastating to those invoved.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

all those people should move to SAFETY !

9. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

sorry, could not resist, I do not make light of their plight, but its always good to keep ones sense of humor.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Then make comments about graham crackers, chocolate and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man, or Smokey the Bear's overwhelming need for deodorant.

As for moving to safety? They did. Over 25,000 evac'd without injury or death. Unofficial estimates place loss of homes over 100. The fire was racing down the canyons and jumped two containment lines, pushed by 65 MPH winds. In the span of 3 hours the size of the fire over doubled from 6,500 acres to over 15,300 acres. The fire was advancing in jumps of up to half a mile.

12. The Following User High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

I haven't been watching much news of late. Is this CO Springs fire the same as the Waldo canyon fire or a new one?

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

They are one and the same. KKTV has been providing non-stop coverage since the fires began on Saturday. Until yesterday there were no structures lost to the fire even though it burned uncontrolled from Saturday noon (time of ignition) through Monday morning.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

16. Default

The winds shifted suddenly yesterday and yes it got bad.
    I am living miles away but........
    I went to USAFA High School(though we were not Military, although we did move a lot lol) and had a paper route in Rockrimmon where we lived nearby. Could see the Garden of the Gods and many Eagles flying on my morning routes.

You can listen to live feeds here.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=top

Updates and breaking news

http://forums.radioreference.com/col...breaking-news/

LOTS of PICS

http://photos.denverpost.com/mediace...he-gods/38318/

Earlier in the week there was a fire in Last Chance started by a blown tire that caused sparks.
    http://www.brushnewstribune.com/ci_2...uts-close-home

I spent much of my youth in that area had family scattered from Denver to Greeley to Hillrose, my Grandfather had a Cattle ranch in Last Chance many many moons ago. Grandma was a teacher in the one room school house.

My heart goes out to all involved, including animals and wildlife.

I spent 10 years on rescue and helped in emergency management, the task is immense.

This was yesterday USAF stadium(I used to work at some of the football games, good times)

Lots more smoke around Monument recently this afternoon

http://trafficland.com/mapnav.jsp

The Flying W Ranch was completely destroyed yesterday along with many homes.

Stay safe...
    Last edited by 2- Minute Warning; 06-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.

17. The Following User High Fived 2- Minute Warning For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

My friend from HS lives there. She is on opposite side of town too. She also opened up her house to friends to stay at.

My step sister says i need to get back into being a fire fighter since they are needed in CO badly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

This is not the only fire burning in Colorado right now, but it is now the largest, I believe, unless the one outside of Ft. Collins is bigger.

From article:

Colorado wildfire: FBI helping in Waldo Canyon Fire investigation

Agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation are helping El Paso County authorities in trying to figure out what started the Waldo Canyon fire, an FBI spokesman confirmed Wednesday.

"The FBI Denver Division is working closely with local, state, and federal law enforcement to determine if any of the wildland fires resulted from criminal activity," local FBI spokesman Dave Joly wrote in an e-mailed statement. "FBI personnel are supporting command post operations in the fire regions and offering assistance with managing the volumes of information related to these tragic events."

The cause of the Waldo Canyon Fire, which started around noon Saturday in a popular hiking area west of Colorado Springs, is still unknown. The fire has quickly grown to become the highest firefighting priority in the country and prompted the evacuation of all of northwest Colorado Springs.

Authorities have so far not even said whether they believe the blaze is human or naturally caused. But a string of fires set by an apparent serial arsonist in neighboring Teller County have caused rumors to swirl that the Waldo Canyon Fire could be the work of the same individual.
    full article - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ion?source=pkg

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

the news said there was like 8 different ones burning here, but ive only heard of the one in Colo Springs, is dark as hell when i look in that direction

21. Default

I think the first one was around Fort Collins and did damage to Estes Park ect.
    Went there many times as a child.

This gives a bit of a timeline and history if events.

http://forums.radioreference.com/col...breaking-news/

Flood warnings in effect for some areas storms moving in.

Numerous fires still at this time

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=top

At least the temps are a tad cooler for them today.
    Last edited by 2- Minute Warning; 06-27-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information