Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos Should Be Heavy Favorites In AFC West

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default Broncos Should Be Heavy Favorites In AFC West

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/denver-...0176--nfl.html

From Yahoo! Sports:

There's roughly 10 weeks until the 2012 NFL season starts, and Denver Broncos fans' excitement is growing daily. With continued positive reports coming out of Broncos headquarters in regards to Peyton Manning's recovery, the upcoming season looks very promising. With an improving defense, and the switch to a high-octane offense behind a future Hall of Fame quarterback, the Broncos should dominate their AFC West division.
    Just to throw this out there. I think it's too simplistic. Chiefs and Chargers both ought to be better than last year.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Check out the comments below that story. Bunch of Dolts fans, obviously.

It's a riot . . .

4. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Brand new year, anybody can win the division. But we do have the best QB in the division and one of the best in the NFL. I feel confident we can win it.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Brand new year, anybody can win the division. But we do have the best QB in the division and one of the best in the NFL. I feel confident we can win it.
    If our high-draft-choice safeties break out this year, the Broncos may have a
    defense to match KC's. Then it will come down to the QBs (heh, heh).

8. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

I dont think the Broncos are heavy favorites. They will go 10-6 IMO, but only be ahead of the the next best team by a couple games. The Chargers are still a talented team with an elite Qb. They could catch fire late like they almost always do, so hopefully they get behind early in the season....like they always do. The cheifs are held back by Matt Cassel, but hes a great fit for what they want to do offensively. Their defense is very talented. I would not be surprised if their Denvers biggest threat. The Raiders defense is going to suck because they no longer have a proven outside pass rusher, and not much talent on the defense as it is. Offensively, they will probably do very well, but Palmer has to not turn the ball over as much, and McFaggins has to stay healthy.....and that will never happen.

If the Broncos had more talent at DT and MLB I would be much, much more confident. I still fear teams like the Texans having their way with us. Still, IMO the Broncos are clearly the team to beat because of Manning. And thats the only reason anybody needs.

10. The Following User High Fived NorCalBronco7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
    I dont think the Broncos are heavy favorites. They will go 10-6 IMO, but only be ahead of the the next best team by a couple games. The Chargers are still a talented team with an elite Qb. They could catch fire late like they almost always do, so hopefully they get behind early in the season....like they always do. The cheifs are held back by Matt Cassel, but hes a great fit for what they want to do offensively. Their defense is very talented. I would not be surprised if their Denvers biggest threat. The Raiders defense is going to suck because they no longer have a proven outside pass rusher, and not much talent on the defense as it is. Offensively, they will probably do very well, but Palmer has to not turn the ball over as much, and McFaggins has to stay healthy.....and that will never happen.

If the Broncos had more talent at DT and MLB I would be much, much more confident. I still fear teams like the Texans having their way with us. Still, IMO the Broncos are clearly the team to beat because of Manning. And thats the only reason anybody needs.
    Del Rio seems to think the Broncos have a good player in Mays. And with
    Warren joining the fray, I'm not wringing my hands over DT. It's D.J. I'm
    worried about. There is a precipitous dropoff behind him at Will. How could
    such an empty head be sitting on top of such a talented body?

Anyway, the best chance the Broncos have of beating KC is Cassel, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post

I really do like Mays but he needs to take a big step forward this season. He was just average last season. Hes still getting his feat wet, though, and Del Rio is gonna teach him a lot. Hopefully he can put it all together.

Warren and Wolfe make me feel a lot better than last year on the inside because of the pressure they could create, but I dont see a bonifide run stuffer on the roster and that scares me.

Losing DJ will suck, your right. As much as we all love Woodyard, hes limited in the run game. Hes not the player I want stepping in for DJ on early downs, but thats what its probably going to be. If the Broncos could have one player step up from the later round draft picks or undrafted guys, I hope its a solid, all around OLB. That would be perfect. Its seems like we have one guy blow away expectations every year, so why not.

As far as Cassel, yeah, he beats himself. Its so much easier to set up situations for him to fail by not allowing him the threat of play action. Signing Eric Winston was big, though, and the chiefs have done a good job of building a good offense around him. But if/when the games come down to Cassel moving the ball through the air to win the game, Id bet against him too.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived NorCalBronco7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post

Great point about Del Rio. As everyone is aware when Nolan was here he turned water into wine for most of the year. Now, we have far more talent and a bonafide DC so i wouldnt be surprised AT ALL if we are much better defensively than last year.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Great point about Del Rio. As everyone is aware when Nolan was here he turned water into wine for most of the year. Now, we have far more talent and a bonafide DC so i wouldnt be surprised AT ALL if we are much better defensively than last year.
    Well, yeah.... but only if we move Champ to safety.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

I expect the division to be tight, but like our chances and agree we should be the favourites.

See KC as the biggest threat. They get Berry back and should have a strong defense, and a healthy Charles with Hillis, McCluster, Baldwin and Bowe is a nice stable of weapons.

Raiders, bit hard to say. Should have an explosive offense if they can stay healthy. The Raiders are always a hard team to get a read on though, they never seem to play to the talent level on their roster imo.

Chargers, sucks they missed their window. They might as well just trade Rivers and start the re-build.
    If not me, who?

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived bcbronc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

Which usually means our DC becomes the new head coach somewhere else. Think about what the chargers did in this years draft and considering the lack of leadership from their head coach they'll be looking to steal someone like Del Rio away.

I'm betting this teams most improved unit is its defense. I only hope Del Rio doesn't dine and dash on us the way Allen did.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Mannway187 View Post
    Which usually means our DC becomes the new head coach somewhere else. Think about what the chargers did in this years draft and considering the lack of leadership from their head coach they'll be looking to steal someone like Del Rio away.

I'm betting this teams most improved unit is its defense. I only hope Del Rio doesn't dine and dash on us the way Allen did.
    Par for the course unfortuantely. Del Rio has experience as a HC and if we do well im sure he will get offers. It will just come down to what Del Rio wants in the long run.

It's hard to identify for sure who will be their most formidable divisional opponent. With Phillip Rivers as their quarterback, the most likely choice would be the San Diego Chargers. With head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith narrowly avoiding being fired at the end of last season, the Chargers will face extra pressure to get the job done in 2012. To me, their schedule looks a little more difficult than the one the Broncos face. While they are playing a very similar schedule to the Broncos, they have to contend with playing away against the Steelers and the New York Jets in the final month of the season. Even if the Chargers take an early divisional lead, they will have a tough time holding onto it in December.

It's a toss-up as to what kind of season the Kansas City Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders will have. Both teams will have new head coaches in 2012 and new strategies. The Raiders made a bold move in acquiring quarterback Carson Palmer in 2011 and after a full off-season in the Raiders organization should be ready to be the best quarterback the team has seen since Rich Gannon. If (and this is a big "if") Palmer stays healthy, I look to see the Raiders show significant improvement this season. However, challenging for a divisional title would seem to be far from a reasonable goal.

Much like the Radiers, the Chiefs' fortunes hinge largely upon whether quarterback Matt Cassel can finally live up to that huge contract he signed three years ago. The Chiefs have drafted a large amount of high-quality talent over the past several years, but have yet to have that talent live up to its potential. A winning record would be a big improvement for this team.
    I'd have to agree with this assessment. Carson Palmer has never been the same QB since his injury back in 2005 and it would be a miracle to expect him to suddenly improve now. He's still capable, but far from an elite QB and the Raiders gave up the store to get him.

As for Matt Cassel, he's another Kyle Orton -- capable of good games if you put him in the right position, surround him with talent and don't expect too much of him. But he's NOT going to pick up a team and carry it to a come from behind victory in the 4th quarter of a tough game against an elite QB.

He's just not that type of QB. And in the NFL you NEED an Elite QB to win consistently, especially in the playoffs where you run into the really GOOD teams with Roethlisberger, or Brady, or at least Joe Flacco or Matt Schaub.

I don't see how the Chiefs or Raiders could hope to beat those kind of teams with Carson Palmer or Matt Cassel.

If the Broncos defense can play solid pass-defense, and Manning can get the early lead in division games, then much of the Chiefs and Raiders run game will go out the window. With Manning they should be favored in all those division games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Too much cautious respect for other teams in our division for my tastes in this thread so far.

PEYTON ******* MANNING WILL LEAD THE BRONCOS TO THE AFCW TITLE! **** YEAH!

*drops microphone and gets back to work

24. The Following 8 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Am cautiously optimistic about this year but am leery about what NFL.com called "the hardest schedule any team has faced in the history of the league". Unsure what this team owes the pleasure of that draw, but as a result it's win the division or bust an most likely even that will only garner a unfavorable away matchup.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information