Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dear Broncos: Just pay Brandon Marshall already

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Velcro View Post
    If this were Eddie Royal....I'd be very upset.
    I definately love me some Royal, but please Broncos...stop the freaking drama. I am trying to find reasons to still love my Broncos, it pains me to say that I am drifting with each passing day.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Players, coaches, GMs come and go...fans endure. Taking the bad with the good is what being a fan is all about.

3. The Following 7 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I still say we offer him the deal we gave Javon. He, too, was coming off a leg injury and was disgruntled about his rookie contract.

"He signed a five-year deal worth more than $40 million, including roster bonuses totaling $15 million in 2007 and 2008."

But he played in 2006 for his rookie contract money - the contract he signed with us was for the following season. If we'd cut him after 2006, IIRC, we would have been on the hook for none of it, and none of the roster bonuses would have hurt us.

But he knew he was GONNA get the money as long as he played well, and he did. Javon got paid, after he proved his knee was okay. Did it work out? No, not long-term. He got injured again, and was never the same. But he was a pro-bowler in '06, and did earn his roster money.

Might wind up in the same situation with Marshall, but that would be my offer to him: "Sign this contract right now for next year, play this year for the crap pay, and you'll get your 8 figures in a roster bonus next season."

If his hand doesn't work or his hip doesn't respond or he gets suspended, cut him. We're still safe.

If he's still a 100 catch monster with fewer drops and more leg drive, then he's worth every penny of his new contract.

Brandon doesn't want to play this year without a new deal, because he has no more leverage next year or the year after. His FA years got screwed by the CBA. All he'd have is the ability to show he's healthy and not likely to be suspended, but with his new coach crowing about how he doesn't need stars and NE's history of not paying people, he's not comfortable that he'd get a new deal next year either.

I don't blame him.

The Broncos gave up their ability to say "we'll reward you, you're Our Guys" when the new regime tossed Cutler. They rammed home the "it's a business" mantra loud and clear, and now guys are playing for themselves, and looking out for themselves and their wallets. See Wiegmann and Marshall.

We may have to clear out anybody who feels the Old Regime owed them something and just have Josh's Guys, because McDaniels removed the loyalty card for the holdovers early in his tenure. But do we have the time for that?

Or we're gonna have to try to figure out how to pay Brandon and Casey and not lose our shirts in the process.

Trading anybody who disagrees with the front office is a bad precedent to set, and I wouldn't set it here. Losing a few million while making the point that producing on the field and fighting through injury for the good of the team is worth rewarding could be a good thing.

We don't have the track record yet to dump our stars and hope that other stars still want to play for us. Make him the offer, and then we've proceeded in good faith even if he decides to try to get more and force a trade (which we should then vehemently refuse as we let him sit at home til week 10 or play while unhappy, a la Boldin).

If it's a business, then it's a business. Brandon's just showing he learned from the Jay thing. We taught him the lesson, I don't see how we can complain about him taking it to heart.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

If I'm the Broncos, there are two options I'm willing to consider.

First, Marshall signs an extension at 'below' market price, which could include a signing bonus, plus possibly a roster bonus for 2010.

Second, Marshall rolls the dice a bit for the bigger money, and plays '09 under his existing contract, and I let him know that if he stays out of trouble and performs on the field like he has the previous two seasons, he would get a big contract on par with top WR's in the league.

7. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

JOSH: Read the last two posts!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Jay Cutler

Just pay the guy already.

You can't blame Marshall for wanting what he is worth. 2nd in total receptions behind only Wes Welker and Marshall gets his balls the hard way, lined up against the opponents best CB and most the time doubled teamed; unlike Welker(dinks and dunks off the spread shotgun with Randy Moss drawing all the attention).

Marshall knows his stats will only falter without Cutler throwing him the ball so he's doing the smart thing in wanting a new contract coming off 2 consecutive all pro performances.

Last edited by Nature Boy; 06-18-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information