Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dear Broncos: Just pay Brandon Marshall already

Default Dear Broncos: Just pay Brandon Marshall already

By MJD
    At first glance, Brandon Marshall(notes) doesn't seem like a guy in a great position to stage a contract holdout. He's had offseason surgery on his hip and has had so many legal run-ins that he should be thankful the league hasn't suspended him and that he has a chance to play at all.

You wouldn't think Marshall was a guy with a lot of leverage. And he might not be, if he played for any team but the Denver Broncos.

They're in worse shape than Marshall. It's June, and they just named Kyle Orton(notes) their starting quarterback. No disrespect intended to Orton, but if he's going to be your quarterback, you'd at least hope that it was a last-minute decision made out of desperation two or three hours before kickoff of the first regular season game. When the calendar says June, and Kyle Orton is already far and away your best hope, that's not good.

It only gets worse for the Broncos if Marshall walks out the door. He met with Broncos owner Pat Bolen on Friday, missed all the weekend's mandatory workouts, and left with all his stuff packed in boxes. That doesn't sound like a guy who plans to be back anytime soon.

If you put Marshall's off-the-field stuff to the side for a moment, he can make a damn compelling case for a raise. He caught 102 balls in 2007 for over 1,300 yards, and he caught 104 balls last year for over 1,250 yards. He's scheduled to make just over $2 million this season.

By NFL standards, that is criminal underpayment. Wide receivers who made in the $2 million range last year include Dante Hall(notes), Dennis Northcutt(notes), Bobby Wade(notes), and Ronald Curry(notes) If someone hosted a Brandon Marshall telethon, I'd be tempted to call and donate.

The Broncos also took his favorite toy, Jay Cutler(notes), away from him, so you'd think they might want to throw him a bone and keep him happy.

I don't know what the Broncos intend to do, other than fine Marshall as much as they can for missing mandatory workouts. It's too early in the proceedings to talk about trading him, but you look at what Denver's already done in the offseason, and it doesn't seem out of the question. The organization seems hellbent on getting into a rebuilding mode.

My advice to the Broncos would be to pay the man, pay him quickly, and pay him well. He's as talented a receiver as exists in the NFL. He's young. He is the one proven offensive weapon on the roster. Kyle Orton needs him. Getting Marshall happy and onto the field might be the last chance the organization has to say to the other players, "Yes, we have some intention of winning in 2009."

If not, the message they send -- and have been sending all offseason long -- is, "Guys, thanks for being here. We hope to make the playoffs in, oh, I don't know ... 2011 or so. You'll probably be gone by then. Help yourself to a complimentary refrigerator magnet schedule."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,170297

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

No mention of off the field issues.

Good bye.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

4. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

just pay the ******* a sum of guaranteed money and stip the rest if he gets into trouble.

6. The Following User High Fived jrelway For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Noah Fant

I'm gonna say it one more time. Give the guy some $$ for what ha has already done.

It does not have to break the bank but, he should be rewarded. If he is not, then what the hell does that tell the rest of the pklayers?

It's been said adinfinitum over several threads. Good player, bad off field guy.

Give him a frickin bone. I don't see him catching more than 80 balls this year, if he's completely healthy and plays all 16 games.

What his value is: "What the hell do we do with BM on one side ande Eddie r> on the other. Syokely and Gaffney and Scheffler and Hillis and Moreno?"!

Good Lord, ewhat Elway would have given.

8. The Following User High Fived horsepig For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by horsepig View Post
    I'm gonna say it one more time. Give the guy some $$ for what ha has already done.

It does not have to break the bank but, he should be rewarded. If he is not, then what the hell does that tell the rest of the pklayers?

It's been said adinfinitum over several threads. Good player, bad off field guy.

Give him a frickin bone. I don't see him catching more than 80 balls this year, if he's completely healthy and plays all 16 games.

What his value is: "What the hell do we do with BM on one side ande Eddie r> on the other. Syokely and Gaffney and Scheffler and Hillis and Moreno?"!

Good Lord, ewhat Elway would have given.
    Well, see...here's the problem...Marshall isn't going to accept not "breaking the bank"...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Chances are he was already offered a raise and declined. Either that or there was some stipulations on incentives and what not that he probably didnt like. This is basically what it has come down too, we have to cut ties to pretty much all of Shanny's toys which will probably mean Sheffie will be out soon as well. Even though it didnt seem like we needed to do much it has turned out that McD wants HIS guys doing it HIS way. See ya Brandon, good luck wherever you land.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I can't believe fans actually want to get rid of Brandon Marshall... It makes absolutely no sense to me. I could care less what he does off of the field. I root for the guy and the team that goes on the field. He's had some mistakes, and run-in's but has only missed 1 game because of his off the field trouble. Point blank, the Broncos are a better team with Brandon Marshall. He is nicknamed "The Beast" for a reason. If we get rid of him, I don't even know... It'll be a very very hard pill to swallow...

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Italianmobstr7 View Post
    I can't believe fans actually want to get rid of Brandon Marshall... It makes absolutely no sense to me. I could care less what he does off of the field. I root for the guy and the team that goes on the field. He's had some mistakes, and run-in's but has only missed 1 game because of his off the field trouble. Point blank, the Broncos are a better team with Brandon Marshall. He is nicknamed "The Beast" for a reason. If we get rid of him, I don't even know... It'll be a very very hard pill to swallow...
    I think your misunderstanding them then. Its not a WANTING to get rid of them. Its wanting them to actually want to be here. As for the off field issues? You should care. Because in this day and age what you do off the field affects your status on the field. The more trouble he gets into the more time he isnt around to do shit for this team so you should care. Denver would be a better team with Brandon and Jay. No doubt about it. However, both have now shown they dont want to be here and this is my team i root for. Your either with us or against us.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

There's no doubt we're a better team with him on the field, but there's a lot of whining going on from the prima donna. One player is gone because of his whining, and another, who faces possible suspensions, repeatedly, is trying to hold out. He needs to leave if he's going to act like a child. Don't call out my fandom of the team because I believe a player is in the wrong.

He's a ******* spouse-beater, punk who pretty much got Darrent Williams killed because of his actions, and he hasn't grown up since. I could care less what he thinks or believes, he needs to report to ******* camp, and do his damn job.

At first, I believed the rehabilitation bullshit, and that he should be with his doctor. I was wrong, and I'll admit it.

Actually coming to Denver, meeting with Bowlen and then NOT sticking around for OTAs and meetings is just plain childish. The same type of shit that Cutler pulled.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

In all fairness to Brandon, many athletes have had their contracts redone in the final year of it, and it probably should have been done with Brandon, rather than him having to bring it up, and pushing the issue. If his off-field issues stood in the way of the Broncos redoing his contract, there could have been language put in the new contract addressing that.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    In all fairness to Brandon, many athletes have had their contracts redone in the final year of it, and it probably should have been done with Brandon, rather than him having to bring it up, and pushing the issue. If his off-field issues stood in the way of the Broncos redoing his contract, there could have been language put in the new contract addressing that.
    A.) The language in the contract is probably why he's refusing the contract.

And...

B.) He is bringing it up in a bad time, with no leverage. Quit beating up your damn girlfriends, and we'll talk, mmmkay. There is absolutely NO reason for the Broncos to even discuss a lucrative, long-term contract with a player who might be facing a suspension.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I think your misunderstanding them then. Its not a WANTING to get rid of them. Its wanting them to actually want to be here. As for the off field issues? You should care. Because in this day and age what you do off the field affects your status on the field. The more trouble he gets into the more time he isnt around to do shit for this team so you should care. Denver would be a better team with Brandon and Jay. No doubt about it. However, both have now shown they dont want to be here and this is my team i root for. Your either with us or against us.
    There are many fans I've seen that are saying that they hope he leaves... If him getting in trouble actually resulted in a more than 1 game suspension then I would care. But he's only missed 1 game. He's a top receiver in the game. If he wants to be paid, then freaking pay him!

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    There's no doubt we're a better team with him on the field, but there's a lot of whining going on from the prima donna. One player is gone because of his whining, and another, who faces possible suspensions, repeatedly, is trying to hold out. He needs to leave if he's going to act like a child. Don't call out my fandom of the team because I believe a player is in the wrong.

He's a ******* spouse-beater, punk who pretty much got Darrent Williams killed because of his actions, and he hasn't grown up since. I could care less what he thinks or believes, he needs to report to ******* camp, and do his damn job.

At first, I believed the rehabilitation bullshit, and that he should be with his doctor. I was wrong, and I'll admit it.

Actually coming to Denver, meeting with Bowlen and then NOT sticking around for OTAs and meetings is just plain childish. The same type of shit that Cutler pulled.
    Players whine all the time. Anquan Boldin whines, but I bet you would take him on the Broncos... I never called out ANYBODY'S fandom. I just said that I was surprised I've seen that so many people want him gone.

Goodell has already said that he is not being suspended. Also, the Broncos told him 2 times last year that his hip was fine, when clearly it wasn't. I'd be pissed too. He's asking for more money because he deserves more money. BTW, you weren't there when D-Will was killed so I think it's pretty wrong of you to put that on him. None of us know what happened for sure. Also, nothing shows that he has EVER touched one of his spouses.

I do agree that I don't like him holding out and that he needs to get to camp. But he also deserves a new contract, so hopefully he'll get one soon.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    A.) The language in the contract is probably why he's refusing the contract.

And...

B.) He is bringing it up in a bad time, with no leverage. Quit beating up your damn girlfriends, and we'll talk, mmmkay. There is absolutely NO reason for the Broncos to even discuss a lucrative, long-term contract with a player who might be facing a suspension.
    If he receives a suspension, he will not get paid regardless of how lucrative of a contract he has.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

There are many fans I've seen that are saying that they hope he leaves... If him getting in trouble actually resulted in a more than 1 game suspension then I would care. But he's only missed 1 game. He's a top receiver in the game. If he wants to be paid, then freaking pay him!
    You do realize it won't just be a 1 game penalty every time he screws up? Next time he screws up (and really, based in his history do you really think he is going to change?) he's gone for at least 4 and probably 8 games. I honestly can't fathom how you don't care at all about his off-field issues.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Players whine all the time. Anquan Boldin whines, but I bet you would take him on the Broncos... I never called out ANYBODY'S fandom. I just said that I was surprised I've seen that so many people want him gone.

Goodell has already said that he is not being suspended. Also, the Broncos told him 2 times last year that his hip was fine, when clearly it wasn't. I'd be pissed too. He's asking for more money because he deserves more money. BTW, you weren't there when D-Will was killed so I think it's pretty wrong of you to put that on him. None of us know what happened for sure. Also, nothing shows that he has EVER touched one of his spouses.

I do agree that I don't like him holding out and that he needs to get to camp. But he also deserves a new contract, so hopefully he'll get one soon.
    I don't want him gone. None of us WANT him gone. So lets get that out of the way. But, if he continues with his off-the-field problems, then sa la vie.

No, Goodell has said he won't get suspended for the incident with the fiance. As I have now pointed out three times, he still may face suspension regarding the trial he is facing.

I'm not putting it on him, but I've read enough reports that Brandon Marshall and his cousin caused the fight by spraying champagne all over the damn club, and then not backing down from the confrontation to know that Brandon Marshall was heavily involved in his death because of his utter stupidity. You know, kind of like repeatedly beating your women.

True. I have little patience for this dude.

True. I like him as a player.

Let's distinguish between the two.

26. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information