Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marshall could be docked $35,000

Default Marshall could be docked $35,000

The Broncos still are bargaining with their unhappy receiver after his minicamp absence.
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 06/15/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

There is a steep price confronting Brandon Marshall for protesting his contract by not attending the Broncos' mandatory minicamp over the weekend.

The cost: $35,329 in fines and a signing bonus deduction.

Marshall, the Broncos' top receiver, is coming off back-to-back 100-catch seasons and hip surgery. In the final year of a four-year contract that would pay him $2.198 million this season, Marshall is seeking an extension that suits his level of production.

To emphasize his point, Marshall skipped all three sessions of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp this weekend, although roughly an hour after the first practice Friday, the receiver met personally with owner Pat Bowlen at the team's headquarters. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12591026?source=rss

Sounds to me it is less about the hip thingy and more and more about the money thingy..

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ed Mccaffrey

Losing this much money will give him a reason to hit his girlfriends some more.
    "The Blues is the Roots; everything else is the fruit."
    Willie Dixon

4. The Following User High Fived threefolddead For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I know I should know better by now, but I still just dont get it. Cutler and Marshall. All they've done is show promise, while at the same time show mistakes and immaturity and yet they feel they can demand anything they want. Marshall will most likely not get the same amount of catches in this offense and maybe he knows that and is looking for the extension now before that happens. What the hell is wrong with our youth that money becomes the priority?

I remember playing baseball in college and always saying that I would take a lesser contract from the orioles if they wanted me. For me it was about playing the game and just being an added bonus if I could play for my favorite team.

These guys say they play for the team and the team goals, but the second they over-value themselves...and they seem to always do...it's all about the money. "I want to take care of my family". Screw that. I have 4 kids and I take care of my family just fine and I make nowhere near what they make. It just gets old and personally, I could care less if he gets shipped out too.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I know I should know better by now, but I still just dont get it. Cutler and Marshall. All they've done is show promise, while at the same time show mistakes and immaturity and yet they feel they can demand anything they want. Marshall will most likely not get the same amount of catches in this offense and maybe he knows that and is looking for the extension now before that happens. What the hell is wrong with our youth that money becomes the priority?

I remember playing baseball in college and always saying that I would take a lesser contract from the orioles if they wanted me. For me it was about playing the game and just being an added bonus if I could play for my favorite team.

These guys say they play for the team and the team goals, but the second they over-value themselves...and they seem to always do...it's all about the money. "I want to take care of my family". Screw that. I have 4 kids and I take care of my family just fine and I make nowhere near what they make. It just gets old and personally, I could care less if he gets shipped out too.

First of all, Marshall has shown more than promise. He has demonstrated he can play through injuries and distractions and still deliver on the field. Secondly, he's not over valuing himself at all. The guy has been producing the past 2 years like a top 5 NFL WR and is getting paid as a 4th round pick on his rookie contract.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    First of all, Marshall has shown more than promise. He has demonstrated he can play through injuries and distractions and still deliver on the field. Secondly, he's not over valuing himself at all. The guy has been producing the past 2 years like a top 5 NFL WR and is getting paid as a 4th round pick on his rookie contract.
    Again...he's using inflated numbers to take advantage of an extension because he knows he wont catch 100 balls in this new offense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Again...he's using inflated numbers to take advantage of an extension because he knows he wont catch 100 balls in this new offense.
    Inflated numbers? Its not like he only makes catches when he's open. The guy is probably the best in the league at making a catch in the endzone along the sidelines. He's also one of the best running after the catch. Inflated numbers? I think its probably more accurate to say that he is using numbers to prove that he can play, which is true.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    Inflated numbers? Its not like he only makes catches when he's open. The guy is probably the best in the league at making a catch in the endzone along the sidelines. He's also one of the best running after the catch. Inflated numbers? I think its probably more accurate to say that he is using numbers to prove that he can play, which is true.
    Well, I wont deny his skills, but I cant say he's be putting up 100 catches if he wasnt thrown to 150+ times. Will the new offense focus on him as much as Cutler did? Most likely not.

Just my opinion, but the numbers he's had the past 2 seasons will likely not be seen again. If not for the offense, then due to suspendions, injuries, etc.

Well. . . obviously? Most wide receivers don't put up big seasons unless they are thrown the ball that much. It was one of the reason's why Lelie had a 1,000 yard season in Denver -- he had over 100 targets. The more opportunities you get, the more you can capitalize on them. And no, I don't expect Marshall to have as much production as last year. I'm not sure if there has ever been a receiver who had 3 one-hundred catch seasons in a row. A #1 receiver is still going to get over 100 targets on the team he plays for. Even if Marshall's catch total went into the 70s; it'd be a hell of a year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I've said it before in another thread, but I wonder what kind of promises Shanny had made to Marshall, and whether or not the change in coaching regime is behind his demands.

IE, maybe he sees the writing on the wall that McD might not fulfill the promises that Shanny made. And some of the same could have played at least a partial role in Cutler's reaction to the HC change.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Well. . . obviously? Most wide receivers don't put up big seasons unless they are thrown the ball that much. It was one of the reason's why Lelie had a 1,000 yard season in Denver -- he had over 100 targets. The more opportunities you get, the more you can capitalize on them. And no, I don't expect Marshall to have as much production as last year. I'm not sure if there has ever been a receiver who had 3 one-hundred catch seasons in a row. A #1 receiver is still going to get over 100 targets on the team he plays for. Even if Marshall's catch total went into the 70s; it'd be a hell of a year.
    I dont doubt any of this, but the fact that he is using that to his advantage when anyone can see his production will drop is just lame.

Bad hip, bad hand, violent history and production will undoubtedly go down. Why does he warrant being paid like a top 5 receiver?

Why does he warrant being paid like a top 5 receiver?
    Because on the field he has played like one, I'm guessing. You'd have to ask Brandon. He might surprise us like Owens and say, "I'm just trying to feed my family."

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Because on the field he has played like one, I'm guessing. You'd have to ask Brandon. He might surprise us like Owens and say, "I'm just trying to feed my family."
    Again, I'll say his numbers are inflated because Cutler focused on him and threw passes to him that would have been better off going elsewhere. In this new offense he wont see 100 receptions. Royal would be more likely to hit that number now than Marshall would.

2 years of 100 reception in a pass happy offense where the QB focused on you 95% of the time warrants a top 5 payday? I'm glad Bowlen owns the team.

Again, I'll say his numbers are inflated because Cutler focused on him and threw passes to him that would have been better off going elsewhere. In this new offense he wont see 100 receptions. Royal would be more likely to hit that number now than Marshall would.
    Yep, they were most definitely inflated. Any time you get 180+ balls thrown your way, you are going to have great numbers. He is still going to produce though, not as much. We agree on that. And yes, I think Eddie in a Welker like role will be able to do a lot in this offense; but I think Brandon being out there will help and he can do quite well. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think 70-75 catches for Marshall would be realistic; and that isn't anything to frown upon at all.

2 years of 100 reception in a pass happy offense where the QB focused on you 95% of the time warrants a top 5 payday? I'm glad Bowlen owns the team.
    Well, not focusing on him 95% of the time -- but I get your picture. Then again, when did we start holding the fact that he was a targeted receiver against him? Coaches and players had the confidence in getting him the ball. Are we going to say the same things for Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin who had a lot of targets as well and try and knock them for it? No.

The NFL is airing the ball out more than ever. 180+ is an extremely high number, and I'd expect him to get in the 120 range (per average) with Orton at the helm. I'd have to see the targets Welker and Moss got in New England while McDaniels was calling the plays to see more of a #1/#2 ratio in target distribution to come up with a more sound number; but anyways -- Marshall would have the chance to produce like a quality receiver regardless.

But no, he won't get the opportunities like he had here with Cutler and Mike. Agreed. I've been saying that for a few days now.

Of course it's about the money. It is always about the money. It will never be about anything else other than the money.

Jim Rome put it best when he said "Whenever a guy says it's not about the money, it's about the money."

The problem isn't all on Marshall's end. I really don't like the guy, but he has a point.

The NFL will cut you if they deem you to not be serviceable to the team. Now, it is their team. But, if teams want to moan and complain about guys not fulfilling their contracts, they lose, and they lose hard. A contract is a TWO way agreement. That is a little fact that NFL owners and general managers often forget.

Has his play outperformed his contract? Well, yeah, by far and away. You could make a credible list of top ten wideouts and not have Marshall's name on it.

The issue is that most lists SHOULD include his name.

The problem on his end is that he would have a new contract if he was not such a liability. It's hard to convince teams to give you millions of dollars when you are a terrible human being with a track record of domestic abuse. Where there is smoke there is fire, and as much as it pains some of the fans on this forum to admit, Marshall is not a good guy. He isn't even a decent guy. He's a terrible human being with an amazing ability to provide convincing lip service.

The other fun reality is that if you guys don't pay him someone else will.

Luckily for you, it appears that McDaniels may be implementing a run first offense that could allow "lesser" receivers to produce at a pretty high level.

Oh Dream, Marvin Harrison has the record with 4 straight years of 100 catch seasons.

Brandon Marshall is one helluva wideout.

He is also pretty volatile.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Poet; 06-15-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot to put in a very key word in the third sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Thanks for the Harrison tidbit, I was thinking it'd of been him or Rice -- but wasn't sure. Four though? Wow. If you catch 500 balls in a career that is actually damn impressive, he did 4/5 of that in four years. Insane.

21. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information