Thread: Competition heats up for defensive starting spots

Default Competition heats up for defensive starting spots

Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post
    Posted: 06/15/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels may have settled on a starting quarterback during his three-day mandatory minicamp, but the team will head into training camp next month with open competition at a number of positions.

Let the battle continue, especially at defensive line positions, outside linebacker and running back.

"It'll be an interesting training camp for us because we've got a lot of good football players at the same positions, and those guys understand their roles in terms of battling for spots and the playing time that they're going to try to earn," McDaniels said.

"We're looking forward to that, and there were a lot of battles we couldn't really figure out in the spring because we don't have pads on. A lot of things to figure out, but we're looking forward to it."

Outside linebacker is expected to be one of the more interesting competitions because most, if not all, of the players fighting for playing time are playing the position for the first time. Converted defensive linemen Tim Crowder and Elvis Dumervil and rookie Robert Ayers each spent significant time rotating in with the first-team defense throughout the weekend.

"I think a lot of them were foreign to the position, but not quite anymore," McDaniels said.

"I think we're going to see a tremendous amount of improvement from that group from the beginning of August until our first game of the season in September and then throughout the year."

Pressure situations.

The team spent much of Sunday's two-hour practice working on late-game scenarios with the first-team offense, led by quarterback Kyle Orton, trying to drive the length of the field repeatedly against the first-team defense.

The goal, McDaniels said, was for players to experience a range of situations, from being backed up at their own 1-yard line to having to run onto the field to attempt a field goal without any timeouts remaining.

"We put a lot of pressure on the defense and the offense to know some different situations that we put into those drives, and that's really how close games in this league are won," McDaniels said. "Most of them are determined under seven points, and if you can win those one or two situations, you have a chance to win the game."

Veteran receiver Jabar Gaffney said the team will ultimately benefit from those drills once the season starts.

"It was certainly our best work of the weekend, so that's good to go out on a positive note," Gaffney said. "We were able to get stuff done, and we can actually see that when everybody does their job, we can be a pretty good offense."

Smith shows up.

Longtime Broncos receiver Rod Smith strolled the sidelines for the latter half of Sunday's practice and spent time talking with several young players, including receiver Eddie Royal and rookie cornerback Alphonso Smith, after the workout.

"Anytime guys like Rod Smith come around, it's a great influence for our younger players," McDaniels said.

Royal said Smith reminded him to focus on the "little things" during offseason workouts.

"He's got great knowledge," Royal said. "He played for a long time, so my ears are wide open."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12590988?source=rss

2. The Following 9 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sly Williams

Gods! I wish the front seven wasn't such a ????mystery

i heart rod smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Tim Crowder is gonna be sick nasty.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Smith shows up.

Longtime Broncos receiver Rod Smith strolled the sidelines for the latter half of Sunday's practice and spent time talking with several young players, including receiver Eddie Royal and rookie cornerback Alphonso Smith, after the workout.

"Anytime guys like Rod Smith come around, it's a great influence for our younger players," McDaniels said.

Royal said Smith reminded him to focus on the "little things" during offseason workouts.

"He's got great knowledge," Royal said. "He played for a long time, so my ears are wide open."
    So, our former star receiver shows for OTAs, but our current star receiver is a no-show? Great...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    So, our former star receiver shows for OTAs, but our current star receiver is a no-show? Great...
    ALOT can be determined by this statement. Class, loyalty, appreciation, committment, etc.

One has it all, the other....

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

I hope you are right, sure wouldbe nice to have the peices of the puzzle already on our roster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Noah Fant

Nolan and his staff will at least put a compettive unit on the field IMO.

Id really like to hear some quotes or comments from Nolan himself. You know, since he is the one spending the time with the d side of the ball.

Things like:

crowder was a big surpise here, he is adjusting well.

We plan to use all of dooms skills, he will have a big year for us.

Our scheme is fitting our players perfectly.

Jarvis moss still sucks. Unfortunately.

Atleast we dont have nate webster still on the roster.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Until they put the pads on and do some hitting, the depth chart projections are just guessing games at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Id really like to hear some quotes or comments from Nolan himself. You know, since he is the one spending the time with the d side of the ball.

Things like:

crowder was a big surpise here, he is adjusting well.

We plan to use all of dooms skills, he will have a big year for us.

Our scheme is fitting our players perfectly.

Jarvis moss still sucks. Unfortunately.

Atleast we dont have nate webster still on the roster.
    When was the last time you heard a coach tell fans anything but positive drivel?

Hell, Shanny said they were "1 or 2 players away" how many years?

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    I hope you are right, sure wouldbe nice to have the peices of the puzzle already on our roster.
    Not really surprised to hear Crowder looks comfortable at the LB position. I remember Mayock and crew saying how good he looked during the LB drill during the Combine in 07. Now let's see if he can continue getting better with the pads on.

18. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information