Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Plan for Marshall : Trade Him

Default The New Plan for Marshall : Trade Him

WR Brandon Marshall (AP Photo/D. Zalubowski) By Ed Thompson
    Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
    Posted Jun 14, 2009

Ed Thompson says that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen needs a new Marshall plan and should ship the team's star receiver elsewhere while he still has some trade value.

For the good of the team, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen should jettison his star wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, while he still has some market value.

After skipping the team's mandatory workouts this past week, Marshall was reportedly spotted carrying boxes out to his car following a meeting with Bowlen. Rumors have been circulating for some time that the fourth-year receiver, who is still rehabbing from off-season hip surgery, would like a new contract.

Bowlen recently told ESPN that he and Marshall are on good terms, saying, "I'm very keen on having Brandon play for the Broncos."

While I respect Pat Bowlen and what he's accomplished through his franchise, that simply doesn't make sense to me. He should be putting the irresponsible fourth-year player on the trading block to avoid any more damage to the team's public image and brand.

If it's true that Marshall wants a new deal that would pay him as well as the league's other top receivers, that's simply ridiculous and really bad timing.

By entering into a new contract with Marshall now, Denver would be gambling big bucks on a player who, in just three short years:

• Has been ordered to get anger management counseling in exchange for having false imprisonment and domestic violence charges dropped.
    • Has been sentenced to a year of probation after avoiding a likely DUI conviction by entering a guilty plea to driving while ability-impaired (after being pulled over with a reported blood-alcohol level of 0.116 in a state where the legal limit is 0.08).
    • Still has two counts of simple battery charges pending due to alleged violence against former-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley
    • Was suspended by the league for three games in 2008 (which was later reduced to one game after he complied with league requirements that included more counseling).
    • Was arrested in March along with Michi Nogami-Campbell -- just weeks after they were engaged -- by an off-duty police officer who reportedly saw the pair hitting and kicking each other in public.
    Here's what the Pro Bowl receiver had to say about his latest brush with the law.

"The judge, the next day, he had the police report, he had all the facts in front of him." Marshall said during a recently televised ESPN interview. "He looked at it and saw that there was no wrong-doing, it was simply an argument, and they got it wrong."

Simply an argument? So the officer didn't see them hitting and kicking each other or Marshall pinning the woman up against a wall? Well, either the officer needs to get glasses and apologize to the Broncos receiver, or Marshall needs to understand that an argument is a verbal exchange, not a physical one.

By other accounts, the charges of disorderly conduct were dropped after both Marshall and Michi Nogami-Campbell refused to press charges against each other, not because the police "got it wrong" as Marshall suggested.

But maybe that's just the lens through which he sees the world, constantly putting his spin on incidents when his life spins out of control. After all, over the past few years he's had to talk with police officers following run-ins with two different women, his father, an off-duty police officer in a restaurant, and during his arrest as a DUI suspect. Yet through it all, Marshall seems to miss the point that the common denominator in all of his problems has been him.

During his interview with ESPN, Marshall repeatedly shuffled through a stack of papers as though he was seeking a prepared answer to some of the questions being posed. That hit me as odd since he was involved in every single incident. If he wanted to be on camera to simply tell the truth, why did he need to keep referring to those papers?

While I'd be surprised if his former girlfriend has been completely honest about what has transpired between the pair, Marshall brought his honesty further into doubt when he was asked about one specific incident where he allegedly blocked the taxi cab of his former girlfriend with his own vehicle and then pounded on the windows angrily, prompting her to call 911 for help. Her version of the story was reportedly backed up by the cab driver.

Marshall hesitated a few seconds before replying to the question about whether or not he had pounded on the windows. Then he looked into the camera and claimed that he had "tapped" on the window to get the cab driver's attention because the woman had his cell phone and he wanted it back.

Right. And that's why he agreed to go to anger management counseling after the incident in exchange for having the false imprisonment and domestic violence charges dropped. That tapping on windows can be pretty scary stuff.

While the league office opted not to suspend Marshall for his most recent arrest, you may want to jot down his reaction to that decision. I have a feeling these words will be coming back to haunt him, especially if he and his bride-to-be can't find a more civil way to "argue" than they did in Atlanta.

"Getting straight to the point, I understand that there can't be any more hiccups from me. With that said, I guarantee, repeat, I guarantee there won't be any more from this day forward," Marshall reportedly told Denver radio station KDVR. "I'm thankful to the league and their findings today, but this is also a continuance of me looking into the mirror and growing into the man I know I should be."

Former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler realized that Marshall's immaturity was a big problem for the team last year, sharing his candid thoughts with the media after the receiver sustained a very serious cut that severed tendons in his arm. Marshall claimed that he had fallen into a television set while fooling around with his brother, an incident that he referenced as a wake-up call.

"He's had many wakeup calls," Cutler said last April. "I mean, he's been in [head coach Mike] Shanahan's office many times. I've been up there with him. He said the same thing, 'this is a wakeup call, this is the last thing that's going to happen. Blah blah blah.' I mean, until he goes out and proves it, we'll see what happens."

While Cutler didn't particularly think that Marshall was a bad person, "It's just something about him. He's always into something," he said.

With all the distraction and negative publicity that Marshall has brought to the Broncos organization in just three short years, Bowlen should tell the team's general manager, Brian Xanders, to make a few phone calls this week and find the most advantageous way to banish the receiver from Denver. The damage that Marshall has done to the team through choices he's made have tarnished an otherwise highly-respected organization. Continuing to ignore his repeated off-the-field problems sends a message that the team's public image is worth less than the allure of another 100-catch season.

And that's a shame.

Marshall isn't likely to catch 100 passes with Kyle Orton at quarterback anyway. And having him run routes along with squeaky-clean types like Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley magnifies the difference between Marshall and the kind of people and players the Broncos organization usually tries to showcase.

Bowlen should raise his team's conduct standard to reflect the league's personal conduct policy that states: "It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful. Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has already made bold and difficult decisions, such as firing Mike Shanahan and trading Jay Cutler.

That statement is pretty clear. I don't see an asterisk or waiver for a player like Marshall just because he has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns during his three-year career. And rather than waiting to see if the league will slap Marshall with more penalties after his pending assault trial, Bowlen should make a statement to everyone associated with the organization that they have no room on their roster for players who are magnets for trouble. The distractions to the team and the damage to the team's brand isn't worth it.

Bowlen could also send a message to Marshall that might help him turn his life around, much like the Vikings did when they traded malcontent Randy Moss to the hapless Oakland Raiders a few years ago. Moss withered into anonymity in Oakland, leaving him pining for a better opportunity. And when he finally got it through a trade to New England, Moss became a better person and player. He had obviously learned a valuable life lesson during his exile.

Xanders' first phone calls for potential trade partners should be Detroit and St. Louis, a pair of rebuilding teams that won a combined total of two games last year. If Marshall does believe that he's worth more than the nearly $2.2 million he's scheduled to earn this year -- despite all of his baggage -- let him prove it with one of those teams.

Some of the other teams who might be willing put an attractive offer on the table for Marshall are the New York Jets, the Cleveland Browns, the Baltimore Ravens and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Earlier this year, Jay Cutler was traded after showing his disdain and lack of trust in the Broncos' new head coach, Josh McDaniels. Rumors indicated that McDaniels was willing to swap Cutler in a multi-team deal that would have brought Matt Cassel to Denver, and Cutler took exception to the notion in a very public forum. Bowlen responded appropriately and boldly as the team worked out a trade with the Chicago Bears, eliminating a huge distraction for his club this year.

And that's what makes his hesitance to part ways with Marshall even more puzzling.

Bowlen would be wise to move Marshall now while he still has some perceived trade value. Because after Marshall's next screw-up, Denver's pool of potential trade partners will shrink even further
    http://den.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=2&c=872248&refid=400

finally someone gets it..
    Last edited by Lonestar; 06-14-2009 at 08:53 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Let's not and say we did.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Let's not and then be totally screwed when he inevitably ****s up again.
    edited for accuracy

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

As long as you are part of the package to the other team, sure.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    As long as you are part of the package to the other team, sure.
    I know you like packages.

9. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

yea. . . anyone that knows anything about business will tell you, "sell low!"-- it's the only proper way to do things. . .

well, his value right now is pretty damn low-- coming off surgery, coming off yet another recent infraction, and with contract demands coming on the heels of the cutlergate fiasaco. . . sure, if we just want to get rid of him, some other team will be delighted to take his prodigious talent off our hands at a reduced rate! it's not a smart decision for us, though. . . no way we're going to get something of equal value in exchange for a player that's already consistently putting up around 1,300 yards and 6-7 TDs per year while still having enormous upside-- not wth the other mitigating factors. . .

quite simply, the production we know we can get from him on the field, combined with the effect that his presence has on the rest of the offense (he's a beastly run blocker as well as a receiving threat that opens things up for other guys because the defense frequntly rolls coverage his way), is incomparably more valuable to us than the second or third round pick that i'd bet is the most we could possibly get for him right now. . .

if someone steps up with a better offer (nothing less than a first round pick, IMO), then fine, trade him. . . otherwise, the FO needs to stand firm on this one-- show some freakin' balls in your negotiations, don't just panic at the first sign of trouble and ship off anyone that holds out for a couple of days. . . what the **** kind of precedent does THAT set??? may as well just write a memo and send it out to every agent in the business: "we cave to holdouts! we'll do whatever we have to in order to accomodate trade requests because we don't have the huevos or business savvy to deal with them!"

yea, that's good thinking. . . after all, any malcontent that holds out for a better deal can't possibly have anything of value to contribute to a football team. . . a unified locker room is what's most important, regardless of the cost! who needs talent to compete at this level? as long as we have the genius of doogie's system, it doesn't even matter who's running it-- other teams will just lay down their pads because they know resistance is futile against such an unselfish bunch of system players. . .

i suppose this type of mentality is fine for both fans and pundits, but the front office sure as hell better not be buying that nonsense! for all the talk about "teamwork," new england still has an awful lot of talent, including two future HOFers as the main battery of their passing game, and a defensive front seven anchored by three first rounders on the line and a top-ten pick at inside linebacker. . . .

y'all notice how they're handling vince wilfork's holdout? yep. . . they're ignoring it. . . not tripping over themselves trying to ship him out immediately, regardless of the compensation or cost. . . that's how the pros handle their business-- they don't sell off their important talents at the first sign of a little monetary discontent. . . they calmly sat on deion branch until somebody was willing to overpay for him, and they've always compromised with richard seymour when he's wanted more scratch. . . they know how important wilfork is to them, and you can bet they'll either quietly reach a fair compromise, or most likely just wait him out, see what they've got with ron brace, and then make the decision next year, keeping the franchise tag in their pocket if they need it. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Definitely. I just got one from FedEx today. It is a Communist China rolled cig holder.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I have mixed feelings about moving Marshall.

I don't want to see him go but I wouldn't be shocked nor would I be distraught if he did.

I couldn't blame Denver for dealing him.

The guy has all the physical tools but has too many risks off the field.

Not to mention the hand and hip injuries.

It's a double-edged sword.

Meh.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

y'all notice how they're handling vince wilfork's holdout? yep. . . they're ignoring it. . . not tripping over themselves trying to ship him out immediately, regardless of the compensation or cost. . . that's how the pros handle their business-- they don't sell off their important talents at the first sign of a little monetary discontent. . . they calmly sat on deion branch until somebody was willing to overpay for him, and they've always compromised with richard seymour when he's wanted more scratch. . . they know how important wilfork is to them, and you can bet they'll either quietly reach a fair compromise, or most likely just wait him out, see what they've got with ron brace, and then make the decision next year, keeping the franchise tag in their pocket if they need it. . . .
    Cool. Is Vince Wilfork a woman beater? Has he been suspended before? Does he have his own file at the county jail?

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Cool. Is Vince Wilfork a woman beater? Has he been suspended before? Does he have his own file at the county jail?

I doubt he has his own permanent ID pass for the NFL offices either..

16. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post

yea, he was suspended a year or so back for taking out j.p. losman's knee-- he came close to another one when he poked some RB in the eye. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

yea, he was suspended a year or so back for taking out j.p. losman's knee-- he came close to another one when he poked some RB in the eye. . .
    Foiled! I figured you'd find something on him.

19. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

sounds like bills kinda down and dirty NT..

maybe because he is not poster child like mar$$$hall is they will be able to get something worked out..

21. Default

Why do these media types always forget about the fact that Marshall is going on trial for simple battery in Georgia and faces a suspension if he's convicted? Hell, technically he faces jail time, which would be on top of a suspension from the NFL.

Because of his pending trial and possible suspension, Marshall has no trade value until his legal issue is cleared up.

Why stop there. The most talented player on the team was traded, and we appeared to get awesome value for him (ayers, a short nickel back and half a blocking tight end), now we are supposed to trade one of the most talented receivers in the league?

Dang, that should be just the beginning. Why not trade Clady as soon as possible as well. Or better yet, package Clady and Royal for a blocking tight end and a short, slow dime back.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information