Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus Spoilers /Discussion

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Default Prometheus Spoilers /Discussion

Do not Read if you have not seen the movie yet.

Ok so i just saw it, im so confused with so many questions. The film was so thought provoking, i cant remember the last time leaving a theatre and continuing to think about the movie for so long after. Overall it was a great film, but it leaves me asking for more questions. Maybe that is the point of it... to lead into a sequel.

The most interesting thing about this movie is that it proves one major point about asking questions about origins: You answer one question about the origins of the Universe and you are left with a million more for each that is asnwered, just like this movie.

My question is about the black goo weaponized DNA. The beginning scene, it killed the engineer, was this on earth? I still don’t quite understand the beginning, if they actually do populate this earth by drinking that black goo and decintigrating into millions of new DNA cells creating life as a honor possibly? Now in the room where it shows the tomb, there is a picture that looks very much like an Alien from the original. So also maybe this is just one type of their bio weapons that they have developed.

Why did it affect humans differently then the prehumans or engineers if they have the same DNA? Why could it mutate inside just a normal worm and change it into something else entirely? But then it kills the engineers, like in the start of the film. And at the end, when the XENOMORPH is created...How Does it move to different planets? Just confused how it ends up being used by the Engineers like in the movie ALIENS, where they have an entire area with the eggs.

Also what did Fassbender say to that guy to make him rip his head off and go on a rampage?

What ever they were going to do with the weapons they had on LV-223, clearly it turned on them and they never got around to doing whatever they were supposed to be doing.

And lastly but least, Why do the engineers want to destroy our race ? because we are hosts ? or because we became to powerful?

They apparently stopped visiting earth during the rise of the Egyptian empire.
    Last edited by ShaneFalco; 06-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

It was thought provoking if you're 13 years old.

3. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    It was thought provoking if you're 13 years old.
    Shit, I was just gonna post in here. I really liked the movie!

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Ah well, screw it.

If anyone is interested, this guy did a good writeup on some of the mythology and religious implications of the film: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Here is Ridley Scott talking about an interesting plot point I think they wisely decided to leave out:

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

That might've been interesting actually. Probably wouldn't have fit in this movie though.

I just find the whole "where did we come from, let's meet our maker and get questions answered!" thing to be boring and stupid unless you're 13 and just thinking about such things for the first time. Kinda pseudointellectual. And done much better in other movies. But I think of course i'm biased due to my thoughts on such things.

I did enjoy the movie, but I don't understand why people are tripping balls over it.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    That might've been interesting actually. Probably wouldn't have fit in this movie though.

I just find the whole "where did we come from, let's meet our maker and get questions answered!" thing to be boring and stupid unless you're 13 and just thinking about such things for the first time. Kinda pseudointellectual. And done much better in other movies. But I think of course i'm biased due to my thoughts on such things.

I did enjoy the movie, but I don't understand why people are tripping balls over it.
    Well, I understand its not quite as deep as it wants to be, but I thought it was refreshing to see a sci-fi film attempt to ask some big questions. It kind of fell apart at the end in some ways but I think it was mostly because they were trying to set up some sequels. I would have liked to have seen a longer standalone movie more in the vein of "At The Mountains of Madness".

Perhaps the biggest flaw with the whole premise was that the "seeding" theory has been done to death on psuedo-science shows like Ancient Aliens. If this movie did not have the pedigree and mythology of Alien behind it (in some form, anyway) I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much. I still think the idea of "god" wanting to destroy you, or us being a simple science experiment is much more creepy than any creature that was introduced in the last half of Prometheus.

And yes, your analogy to why people are "tripping balls" is pretty spot on in some ways, but only if people aren't versed on these types of ideas. I've read lots of Lovecraft and other similar works dealing with this type of subject, and can appreciate Prometheus as a way for others to get their feet wet on the concepts it presented. I just wish it would have stuck with the discovery and answers element instead of deciding to be a monster movie towards the end. They just announced a 20 minute extended cut, I'm already planning on buying it.

9. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Shanahan

Saw it on Friday in 3-D. I was blown away. For most fans of the Alien series, Prometheus gave us everything we could've asked for and then some.

I watched the original Alien movie on Thursday night before seeing Prometheus Friday as kind of a refresher, and boy was I glad I did. So many things tied in perfectly, and I was like "wow" through most of the movie. They did leave a lot of things hanging, but Prometheus is the first of a new trilogy so we will get answers to all those lingering questions.

The droid dude (can never remember the actor's name) stole the show every time he was on screen. Noomi did well too. Overall really cool movie.
    Born and raised in DC....living in Denver. I love the Redskins, and the Broncos!

11. The Following User High Fived skins_fan82 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I liked it a lot but I thought it could have been longer. The end seemed a little rushed and I think they could have slowed down and made it a bit more clear and expounded on certain things.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Shanahan

Yeah, the last 20 minutes did kinda fly through a lot.

**SPOILER ALERT**

What screwed with my head is that, the last 5 minutes literally opened up two separate paths. They could follow the Alein story on the same planet, after the alien popped out of the creator at the end. I believe there was a lot of time that passed between Prometheus landing and Nostromo (from first Alien movie) arriving.

And of course they will follow the mani character chick as she and the droid go "to where the creators came from." I'm so stoked for the next installment of the trilogy, but so sad that it'll probably be at least another 2-3 years before we get it LOL. Humans have obviously done something to piss off the creators to where they feel we should be exterminated, and I can't wait to find out what that was.
    Born and raised in DC....living in Denver. I love the Redskins, and the Broncos!

15. The Following User High Fived skins_fan82 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
    Yeah, the last 20 minutes did kinda fly through a lot.

**SPOILER ALERT**

What screwed with my head is that, the last 5 minutes literally opened up two separate paths. They could follow the Alein story on the same planet, after the alien popped out of the creator at the end. I believe there was a lot of time that passed between Prometheus landing and Nostromo (from first Alien movie) arriving.

And of course they will follow the mani character chick as she and the droid go "to where the creators came from." I'm so stoked for the next installment of the trilogy, but so sad that it'll probably be at least another 2-3 years before we get it LOL. Humans have obviously done something to piss off the creators to where they feel we should be exterminated, and I can't wait to find out what that was.
    There is a lot of debate as to what the android David said to the Engineer to have him rip his head off. I think if you look at the way the Engineer brushed his head before ripping it off, he realized that their creations were now advanced enough to create their own beings and he flipped out and started killing everyone. Prometheus was the giver of fire to the humans in mythology, and the god's banished Prometheus for doing so because they knew that one day we would come back with this fire to destroy our creator.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Ok, so I'm a little annoyed about either leaving a few things unanswered to tie into Alien or leaving "space" for another movie. It all could have been cleaned up by having the Engineer get back into his space suit on the crashed ship and having the Alien pop out of his chest at the end. Then it would have fit perfectly with what they found when they investigated the ship on Alien. The beacon on the "life raft" is what brought the Nostramo to LV-223 in the first place, so that fit nicely. So it really was just the alien popping out of the Engineer on the life raft that didn't fit.

Good movie, but not great.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

i thought it was amazing. i was in suspense the entire movie!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

"My question is about the black goo weaponized DNA. The beginning scene, it killed the engineer, was this on earth?"

The way I understood it this happened in the Isle of Skye in Scottland, but I can't figure out if this was supposed to be the way we were created.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    "My question is about the black goo weaponized DNA. The beginning scene, it killed the engineer, was this on earth?"

The way I understood it this happened in the Isle of Skye in Scottland, but I can't figure out if this was supposed to be the way we were created.......
    I'm pretty sure that was on Earth and that was the begining of life on our planet. That's how I took it.

Why didn't I get that dude's abs DNA?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was on Earth and that was the begining of life on our planet. That's how I took it.

Why didn't I get that dude's abs DNA?
    Yeah, they asked me to play that part but I had prior commitments.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

22. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information