Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bowlen meets with AWOL Broncos receiver mar$$$hall

Default Bowlen meets with AWOL Broncos receiver mar$$$hall

By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 06/12/2009 10:00:34 AM MDT
    Updated: 06/12/2009 07:05:14 PM MDT

The Denver Broncos' Brandon Marshall, dejected on the bench against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Invesco Field at Mile High in October, 2008. (THE DENVER POST | ANDY CROSS)Absent from the start of mandatory minicamp this morning, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall met with team owner Pat Bowlen this afternoon at 2 p.m., then left the property at 3:15 p.m. Coach Josh McDaniels said after minicamp practice that he planned to meet with Marshall.

"It's something we're going to handle and take care of it in-house," McDaniels said after practice. "I've been through a number of these situations. Whether it does or doesn't get fixed, that's something that's going to play out in the future. But we're going to coach the guys that are here the best we can. When he's ready to go and we get him out here, we'll get him out here."

Marshall was dressed in black shorts and a black T-shirt and loaded three boxes into his car upon his departure. He declined to comment to reporters as he chatted on his cell phone.
    When the Broncos went through a similar ordeal with then-disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler, such meetings included owner Pat Bowlen, chief operating officer Joe Ellis, general manager Brian Xanders and McDaniels.

Marshall is recovering from hip surgery so he would not be able to participate in the offseason workouts, anyway. But he has sent a message to the team he is unhappy with his contract by first transferring his rehab three weeks ago to Orlando, Fla. while the rest of the team was participating in the "voluntary" minicamps, and then not reporting for the 8:30 a.m. meeting today that was to start the team's three-day "mandatory" minicamp.

"That's a personal decision that Brandon has made, and we'll do what the league rules allow us to do for a player that has missed a mandatory activity," McDaniels said. "The rest of that is really internal. I've spoken to him and his agent and that's a decision that he's made."

Marshall is in the final year of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.198 million this season. Marshall believes he's worth more after recording 100-plus catches in each of the past two seasons, and 58 receivers made more than $2.2 million in salary and bonuses last season.

Marshall has also cited a lack of trust in the Broncos' medical care as a reason for not wanting to rehab at the team's headquarters.

The Broncos have reason to consider Marshall an investment risk. The team might want to first see how he recovers from his hip surgery. He also has been involved in numerous off-field legal issues to the point where another infraction could leave him vulnerable to a long-term suspension under the league's personal conduct policy.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12577176?source=rss
    Last edited by Lonestar; 06-13-2009 at 03:21 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Dang. I was hoping this might have new information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Marshall, if you want out you're not suppose to return the owner's phone calls. Don't you learn anything?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

6. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I've been through a number of these situations.
    1 as head coach.

Batting avg.: 0.00
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

If they can sort this out he is batting .500 which is pretty Joe Mauer like. Which would be nice!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    1 as head coach.

Batting avg.: 0.00
    Hello kettle, I'm pot.

11. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I'd wager Marshall stays. If he doesn't that would be a huge loss. We could only hope he doesn't go elsewhere and pull a Bertrand Berry on our ass.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Hello kettle, I'm pot.
    I don't get understand compute.

I'd wager Marshall stays. If he doesn't that would be a huge loss. We could only hope he doesn't go elsewhere and pull a Bertrand Berry on our ass.
    Berry isn't a good example. His first year in Arizona, he rocked then sucked ass. He's only played in 41 games the past four seasons, with only 31 starts. I hope Marshall goes to Chicago, then I'll have a good team to finally root for!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Perhaps a more consistent Berry.

I think even 1-outstanding year from Marshall outside the Broncos, combined with the Cutler fiasco, and a terrible record if Denver plays bad, would be a lot of fuel for the fire.

Double entendre, btw.

16. The Following User High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

Am I reading too much into the fact he loaded 3 boxes into his car thus indicating he's taken his personal items and is not coming back? These guys that hold out then join the team later don't know the plays and aren't in football shape. They often get injured within a few games too. I think this is so-long good bye.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoTech For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I wonder how the new playbook will factor in... It's one thing to hold out on a coach whose playbook you already know, it's another if you got a new coach, new schemes, new plays etc. and you're not in there learning all of it.

personally, I think the Broncos should pony up and give Marshall a new deal. his play on the field has sure earned it.

sure he brings risks to the table, but you factor that into the language of the contract.

I know he "signed a contract" and hold-outs used to piss me off. but in today's Not For Long, where teams can walk away from a deal at a moments notice (and remember, this is his rookie deal, so he didn't get a bunch of guaranteed money or signing bonuses) I think holding out is a legit manoeuvre. I know most won't agree with that.

but Marshall is the lynch pin of this offense, at least going into this season, and should be paid accordingly imo.
    If not me, who?

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived bcbronc For This Post:

I wonder how the new playbook will factor in... It's one thing to hold out on a coach whose playbook you already know, it's another if you got a new coach, new schemes, new plays etc. and you're not in there learning all of it.

AS I have understood it he has a playbook and supposedly is studying it.. and supposedly him and Josh were getting along..

but book learning is so much more different than actually running the routes watching film and going over things with your fellow players and coaches..

Now we all know he can't run routes and catch the ball.. but he should have been here all the time doing the rest of the stuff that his fellow WR's have been doing..

since this playbook is about confusing the defense with multiple crossing routes unless your actually seeing it and doing it your going to fall behind the others..

But Josh has also stated he will have so 40 odd sessions during TC to catch up.. but that also means the guys that have been here all the time will be some 30-40 sessions ahead of him also..

Now I have some odd thoughts to talk out ..

does anyone think that because he will not be the top gun in the offense since it is all about hitting the open man.. does anyone think he may be rebelling wanting more attention in the Offense..

Knowing that last year they doubled him alot and jay threw to him any way.. I think that he may see that the QB will now throw to the open man if he is doubled..

perhaps he has seen the playbook and is scared of it that he will not be able to "get it".. that perhaps he is not smart enough..

perhaps he thinks he will not be a TEAM player (he certainly has proven some of that with the hold out).

hey maybe it is only about money.. as I do not for one minute think the Broncos doctors are the real issue.. tuten maybe, with his "Strength and conditioning drills"

but the Broncos have millions of dollars invested in the players and I can not think of anyone that would not want to have them in prime condition to protect their investment.. I do not think the doctors are bad, because thy use some of the best in the country to do their consultations and surgery..

I believe that part of this is a smoke screen.. the comments about the doctors not seeing the issue in two separate MRI's just does not make sense to me.. and then to have a Bronco Doctor do the surgery.. and for that matter that was all under mike the old staff not Josh and the new staff.

sorry that just does not add up for me..

him taking three boxes out means that he is taking the playbook home to study or he came to get his stuff and not planing on coming back..

this IMHO does not bode well for marshall playing in DEN this year..

Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc View Post
    personally, I think the Broncos should pony up and give Marshall a new deal. his play on the field has sure earned it.

sure he brings risks to the table, but you factor that into the language of the contract.

I know he "signed a contract" and hold-outs used to piss me off. but in today's Not For Long, where teams can walk away from a deal at a moments notice (and remember, this is his rookie deal, so he didn't get a bunch of guaranteed money or signing bonuses) I think holding out is a legit manoeuvre. I know most won't agree with that.

but Marshall is the lynch pin of this offense, at least going into this season, and should be paid accordingly imo.

But is he going to be the lynch pin? or just another big receiver

Will he see a 100 passes this coming year? or just 50-60

Is he the randy moss of this O?.. or just average.. remember he did not get many TD's this past couple of years certainly not in the randy moss area..

I think he sees his status downgraded just like jay did.. playing in a very controlled offense and they did not like not potentially being the big guns anymore..

do we really need him all that much or will Jabbey fill his pass quota..

if you had 2 WR before and he got 100 passes with a lot of 4 receiver sets does anyone think he will get that same 100 passes?

we now have Moreno and hopefully a fully recovered Hillis.. they will be getting more and more passes because they will be check downs when marshal is double covered.

Hey folks he may be wanting out because he see his role in DEN as diminished.. and he wants a new contract THIS year and they re not going to budge on it..

24. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information