Thread: Broncos mourn the passing of Marlin Briscoe, modern pro football's first Black starting quarterback

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos mourn the passing of Marlin Briscoe, modern pro football's first Black starting quarterback

Marlin Briscoe, the former Bronco who made history as the first Black starting quarterback in the AFL and modern pro football, has died, his daughter told the Associated Press on Monday.

"We are heartbroken to learn of the passing of former Broncos QB Marlin Briscoe," the Broncos said in a statement. "Marlin was a pioneer who shattered barriers, making history as the first Black starting quarterback in the Super Bowl era. He paved the way for countless others and created an indelible legacy, including through our Marlin Briscoe Diversity Coaching Fellowship. Our deepest sympathies go out to Marlin's family, friends and former teammates."

A 14th-round pick by the Broncos in 1968, Briscoe — known affectionately by his nickname "The Magician" — arrived in Denver after a stellar collegiate career for what was then known as Omaha University. As a rookie, Briscoe became a groundbreaking player for breaking the race barrier at the quarterback position. In his 11 games and five starts, Briscoe was an electrifying player who also was a vision of how the position would be played decades later.
    rest, plus photos - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/b...first-black-st

RIP Marlin

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

RIP to a true pioneer. Should be more famous and I for one am proud that he was a Bronco.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I may be one of the few here who saw Briscoe play as a Bronco at the old Mile High. Back then, smallish QBs (and particularly Black ones) didn't exist in pro football. But Marlin was a forerunner to Michael Vick. He could get out of tight spots and fling the ball downfield or take off running. Not being such a good team in 1968, Marlin had many chances to play catch-up. He was definitely fun to watch. Years later in a "lost treasures" episode, Steve Sabol said the reason you didn't see Briscoe's highlights in the yearly team highlight film is that he wasn't expected to be back at QB the next year and the films were meant to sell season tickets. I'm glad he wound up in Miami (as a WR) a few years later and got to play on two World Champions (1972, 1973) as a Dolphin. RIP.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

8. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information