Thread: XBox360 "disk read error"

Default XBox360 "disk read error"

My son's Xbox is having issues. It won't read any discs. Any ideas on how to fix it?

(other than drop kicking it out the window)

TIA
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    My son's Xbox is having issues. It won't read any discs. Any ideas on how to fix it?

(other than drop kicking it out the window)

TIA
    It needs a new drive. You have two options, served it to Microsoft, $150 for the repair and an extra year on your warranty. Buy a drive from ebay, amazon, etc for about
    25$, spend an hour, watch a youtube instructional video and replace the drive.

It's easy, just watch the youtube vids.

This is an older Xbox360 - at least 3 years old. I don't want to spend $150 on repairs when I can get a new one for not much more.

Mr. Gnome got it working. He cleaned the cache and unplugged then replugged it back in. If it goes out again, and I will warn my kids it could happen, I will fix the drive.

Thanks Davii!

4. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

I think the XBox 360 has finally died. What exact part does it need? I don't want to get the wrong one. Also, can you c/p the exact YouTube video?

New plan. Game Stop is offering $60 for a used XBox, plus 30% more, though there is a $20 fee to refurb it. Trading the broken one in, plus Playstation 2 and other games from the XBox and Playstation no one plays anymore, we should knock the final price down quite a bit.

Ixnay on the new plan. Game Stop won't take the broken XBox. Davii, would you be so kind as to properly direct me to what I need to fix the XBox? TIA

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    Ixnay on the new plan. Game Stop won't take the broken XBox. Davii, would you be so kind as to properly direct me to what I need to fix the XBox? TIA
    Certainly. Can you PM me the serial number off the xbox? I'll look up the drive and send you a link to it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I had this happen with my PS3, it was the laser that read the discs was broken....

The Game Stop person also suggested it could be the optic reader. But, in this case, it's definitely the disk drive. It's not working properly.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information