Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: the bicycle enthusiast thread, home of the TDF !!!

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini
    sorry, climbing the alp d' huez takes STRENGTH!
    the fact that they do it after riding 100 miles first is just a testament to their athleticism.
    not just stamina, on the days when they do an individual time trial they have to be the fastest. on the mountains, the strongest. on the decent, the most skilled. yes stamina is a major factor over the course of 3 weeks, but all aspects of athleticism are tested,
    worlds greatest athlete !
    Read my post again, never said it doesn't take strength. Stamina I mentioned.

You know that pedaling a bike is a full circle right? You don't just press on the downstroke.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    Read my post again, never said it doesn't take strength. Stamina I mentioned.

You know that pedaling a bike is a full circle right? You don't just press on the downstroke.
    well, that depends on your equipment, shoes and pedals.
    if you clip into your pedals then you do have the capacity to do more than exert force on the downstroke.
    so many people are under the wrong impression that the TDF is ONLY about stamina.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    what makes the best athlete? training/conditioning and coordination. imo.

Zam, what is your take on steel frames vs Aluminum and/or carbon? I know that steel frames TEND to run a bit higher, but how does the ride compare for you
    carbon frames are the lightest.
    steel is a rare commodity in a high end bike. most are aluminum. down tubes and seat posts steel and most handlebars
    I cant distinguish a ride difference between the various frame materials. flex in the frame allows for better handling, stif frames allow for greater speed.
    I am not doinf time trials or taking downhill runs at 60 MPH, so these are not critical concerns for me.
    Tires, tubes and rims are the critical components of my bike (like most) and smooth shifting.

4. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

well, that depends on your equipment, shoes and pedals.
    if you clip into your pedals then you do have the capacity to do more than exert force on the downstroke.
    so many people are under the wrong impression that the TDF is ONLY about stamina.
    If you read my post you would have noted I said stamina is more important. Ask any bicyclist what's more important, strength or stamina. They'll say stamina for distance. I've ridden up many hills in my time. If the pedals can be turned enough to move the bike then stamina gets you to the top.

By the way, all the racers use clip less pedals so yes, they pedal a full circle.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

down tubes and seat posts steel and most handlebars.
    Would you clarify that statement? Are you saying most down tubes are steel?
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Would you clarify that statement? Are you saying most down tubes are steel?
    the seat post handlebars and the downtubes, the shafts that the seat and handlebars go into are often steel, especially on many lower priced frames that aRE PART ALUMINUM.
    THESE PARTS HAVE TO BE RIGID AND strong and steel is the best medium.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

its JUNE, TDF starts this month !

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

on a graphit bike the entire frame is graphite, opffering superior weight to strength ratio!
    while there are many alll aluminum frames they have
    weeping morter
    construction along critical points to bolster the strength of the frame in areas where the stress can cause cracks.
    all steel frames are what dominate the majority of the "everyman brand "bicycle world and there are also several frames that incorporate both aluminum for light weight and steel for strength throu-out the frame construction.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

my bad, I use the phrase "clip' as a universal referance to being attached to the pedal. of course there is a distinction between clip and cleat, of course all pro cyclists use a CLEAT form of attaching themselves to their pedals.
    the old style CLIP was a referance to the TOE-clip that secured the shoe to the pedal
    I come from a generation where we said "clipon"
    meaning ready to do some serious riding.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

the seat post handlebars and the downtubes, the shafts that the seat and handlebars go into are often steel, especially on many lower priced frames that aRE PART ALUMINUM.
    THESE PARTS HAVE TO BE RIGID AND strong and steel is the best medium.
    You'd have to show me those bikes that are part steel and part something else, I've never heard of one or seen one anywhere ever. I won't say they don't exist but they are rare. The down tube is the tube that connects to the head tube and goes to the bottom bracket. The seat post goes into the seat post. None of the parts you mention go into the down tube.

Do you have a link to any bikes that are aluminum or carbon that have a steel down tube? I would like to see one.

99% or more of bikes the frame is all the same material be it carbon, Ti, steel, aluminum or whatever.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    its JUNE, TDF starts this month !
    Your calendar sucks.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

its an australian calendar, mate, its already tomorrow !

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    my bad, I use the phrase "clip' as a universal referance to being attached to the pedal. of course there is a distinction between clip and cleat, of course all pro cyclists use a CLEAT form of attaching themselves to their pedals.
    the old style CLIP was a referance to the TOE-clip that secured the shoe to the pedal
    I come from a generation where we said "clipon"
    meaning ready to do some serious riding.
    Just to clarify, people in the bicycle world use the term "clip" when refering to the older toe clip style where you have a strap over the toes holding your foot to the pedal. "Clipless" pedals are the one in which have a cleat on the bottom of the shoe that snaps into place holding the foot to the pedal.

If you have been around bicycling much at all you would probably have known that though.

Still waiting to see links to bikes that have down tubes made of steel when the rest of the frame isn't. Carbon frames do have alloy inserts at key locations to attach things to the frame since threads and carbon don't mix well.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

grab a magnet, go to a bike shop with a variety of bikes, many will have aluminum frames, look for the ones that dont say "all aluminum frames"
    check the chain stay tubes, the tube that holds the seat-post and the tube that holds the handelbar post, your magnet will detect steel.
    WTF, are you just trying to be argumentative ?

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Just to clarify, people in the bicycle world use the term "clip" when refering to the older toe clip style where you have a strap over the toes holding your foot to the pedal. "Clipless" pedals are the one in which have a cleat on the bottom of the shoe that snaps into place holding the foot to the pedal.

If you have been around bicycling much at all you would probably have known that though.

Still waiting to see links to bikes that have down tubes made of steel when the rest of the frame isn't. Carbon frames do have alloy inserts at key locations to attach things to the frame since threads and carbon don't mix well.
    is your first name Anna?
    if so, I would guess your last name to be Mosity.
    did I not just say the same thing regarding clips/
    and since you are being so "technical'
    clipless can be just a regular old pedal without a cleat, technically

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information