Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreadnought's Old Prog Rock Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Dread, tell me of your King Crimson journey.

On Maynard's suggestion, I bought the King Crimson box set, 4 discs. I enjoyed it but focused my attention on disc 2 in particular (a lot from Larks Tongues, Starless, and Red).

Which albums moved you? Tell me the arc of your fandom.
    I remember as a kid getting a small transistor radio for Christmas. I used to listen to a "Progressive Rock" station in the very early '70's, usually with lights out under the covers, with the radio volume so low my parents couldn't hear, radio pressed against my ear. Such stations have barely existed since @1975, stations started being bought up wholesale, when corporate consultants started providing services to dictate play-lists to their stations. The closest thing now is some of the college stations. Anywho, WCMF in Rochester would play long form stuff, whatever the DJ's wanted to play, and one night I heard "In the Court of the Crimson King" - and I'd never even imagined anything so cool could even exist.

My first favorite band was actually ELP, and then I learned that Greg Lake and also been lead vocalist for that strange band King Crimson on ITCOTCK. Had to listen to more! A buddy of mine had "Lark's Tongues in Aspic"*, which he lent me, and then I found "Lizard" (much underappreciated) in a used record bin for $1.00. Other bands come and go as my temporary favorites, but I have never gotten tired of KC. I never could learn to love KC with Adrian Belew; they're good, but not quite the thing. The best era IMO is Larks Tongues, Starless, and Red, and the concurrent King Crimson:USA live album. For earlier stuff the First album is a true classic, "In the Wake of Poseidon" is good, "Lizard" excellent, 'islands" is sorta weak

* far be it from me to advocate such things, and we're talking over 40 years ago, but listening to "Larks Tongues in Aspic: Part 1" with good headphones on in the dark after what Dogfish calls "left-handed cigarettes" and a few beers? Otherworldly.

“What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

wow dude, I'm so glad I asked and what a quality response
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

teenage flashback

"You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I am a fan of the early SD albums. They are amazing. The later ones are quite good.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I am a fan of the early SD albums. They are amazing. The later ones are quite good.
    I finally learned to love Steely Dan only a couple of years ago, and I agree completely

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I finally learned to love Steely Dan only a couple of years ago, and I agree completely
    What put you off? Fagan's voice?

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

What put you off? Fagan's voice?
    A little bit - plus a crap-ton of overexposure on the radio in the 70's. They were also jazzier and more mellow than I preferred in those days

13. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

teenage flashback

Love love love..... \m/

For Dread:

15. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I've been kinda into these guys lately. 1970's trippy German music from Can. Thats the name of the band, Can. GREAT drumming from Jaki Leibezit if you give it a listen

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Dread, would you let these guys in the club?

1997 is pretty old.

19. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    King Crimson doing a superb David Bowie cover. NB - Robert Fripp also played guitar on Bowie's original recording

It's still strange to see Tony Levin in the line up. I've seen him many times with gabriel.

21. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

24. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Not sure how often Dread pokes his head on here but i think he would REALLY dig this. Very old school classic prog rock vibe with a minimal amount of metal in the vocals. But 99% of it is in that classic prog rock vibe. Im in love with record currently. Sadly, no youtube vids to go off of but you can hear the entire album on their bandcamp page.

https://they3.bandcamp.com/album/uns...my87BHRNBbJles

26. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information