Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aerosmith - GAH Week 18 - 3.11.23

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Aerosmith - GAH Week 18 - 3.11.23

I'm not much of a fan of Aerosmith. Because of my age, I was exposed to the "has been" version of them.

The first time I heard them was via Run DMC's Walk This Way. Back then I thought they were a crappy, wannabe has-been popular band riding DMC's coattails. (I exaggerate, but you get the idea)

Then I was exposed to many radio-friendly gems of their late 80's stuff.

My college buddy loved the album Pump, so I was forced to listen to it a lot. It was aite. It grew on me and I internally admitted that they were a good band, like the Eagles.

Then later, during the 1001 albums before you die failed experiment in this forum, I listened to Toys in the Attic. Great album. I can't remember the grade I gave it, but I was legit impressed and taken by it.

I've always *loved* the song Sweet Emotion. I love the way this vocal harmony, so sustained it's almost a pad sound, gives way to driven guitar distortion.

So what I'm saying is...I know a little.

But this is going to be a tough sell given my bias.

But I take this seriously, and will probably need a couple weeks on this one. This is perhaps the last "legacy" contender for the mantle, maybe Green Day is in play. Running out of big names though.

Any Aerosmith fans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Huge fan…agree on the songs you mentioned and the toys album…it’s boss…

I will say, They have greatness by longevity in staying relevant rather than having those epic songs or specific sounds that some other bands are remembered for.

Although I had the pleasure of meeting Steven Tyler once… so that made me a little biased.

3. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Just because...

"You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    But I take this seriously, and will probably need a couple weeks on this one. This is perhaps the last "legacy" contender for the mantle, maybe Green Day is in play. Running out of big names though.
    Personal taste aside, I'd say Aerosmith is definitely a strong contender. They have longevity, popularity, and at least a few bangers.

Here's a few names I think are in the conversation that have yet to be explored but are probably also in the conversation.

-The Velvet Underground
    -Green Day
    -Grateful Dead
    -R.E.M.
    -Pixies

I also think The Ramones are worthy contenders, but I recall you not being much of a fan.

Modern bands that I think are in the conversation: The Strokes (influential, popular domestically and internationally, at least 2 critically acclaimed albums, longevity), Vampire Weekend (4 critically acclaimed albums, maybe the most popular band still going from the late 2000s indie scene, have at least 1 song most people have heard before), Foo Fighters (popular, have a few big songs, have been going for a long time).

Also, maybe Linkin Park???

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

My Aerosmith memory is that I burned a CD that started with the song "Dude (Looks Like A Lady)", and I set my boombox to play that CD super loud as my alarm every morning while I was in junior high. I now hate that song.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Personal taste aside, I'd say Aerosmith is definitely a strong contender. They have longevity, popularity, and at least a few bangers.

Here's a few names I think are in the conversation that have yet to be explored but are probably also in the conversation.

-The Velvet Underground
    -Green Day
    -Grateful Dead
    -R.E.M.
    -Pixies

I also think The Ramones are worthy contenders, but I recall you not being much of a fan.

Modern bands that I think are in the conversation: The Strokes (influential, popular domestically and internationally, at least 2 critically acclaimed albums, longevity), Vampire Weekend (4 critically acclaimed albums, maybe the most popular band still going from the late 2000s indie scene, have at least 1 song most people have heard before), Foo Fighters (popular, have a few big songs, have been going for a long time).

Also, maybe Linkin Park???
    I'll make a post in the "master" thread to continue this discussion.

8. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I did not know that Aerosmuth was so wild back in the day.

Aerosmith: How a big, bad drug monster begat a big-business rock band
    https://grantland.com/features/the-w...t-4-aerosmith/

How the story of Aerosmith is told tends to vary depending on the storyteller, but it typically takes on one of two narrative arcs: (1) Aerosmith is a down-and-dirty arena-rock band whose prodigious drug abuse takes on mythical proportions as it records a series of seminal albums that starts with 1974’s Get Your Wings, peaks with 1976’s Rocks, and peters out with 1977’s Draw the Line. This period is followed by a long, irrelevant epilogue during which Aerosmith later reinvents itself as a cleaned-up MTV favorite and power-ballad machine. (2) Aerosmith is one of the most popular rock bands of the late ’80s and early ’90s, and continues to release hit albums and popular singles at the height of alt-rock. This period is preceded by a long, irrelevant prologue during which it was a druggy boogie-metal band responsible for songs like “Walk This Way” and “Sweet Emotion,” of which teenaged fans are vaguely aware.

Aerosmith was the most popular rock band among American high school kids. This was due largely to Aerosmith’s reputation as a party band; Aerosmith fans were nicknamed “The Blue Army” because of their monochromatic blue-jeaned attire, but “blue” also described the skin color of many audience members after downing too many ludes in the parking lot before the show.6 The patina of mindless drug use surrounding Aerosmith hardly endeared the band to the music press: “They gobbled reds and chug-a-lugged beer,” Rolling Stone forlornly tsk-tsked at The Blue Army in a 1976 Aerosmith profile. “Some fell on their faces and tumbled down the hill. The oldest among them could not have been much more than 18 years old … You had to get close enough to see the red of their eyes to realize that this was a generation whose rock & roll rituals had been raised up out of the ashes of Altamont rather than the bright muck of Woodstock.”

With Rocks, self-inflicted brain damage became an accepted byproduct of Aerosmith’s artistic process. “There’s no doubt that we were doing a lot of drugs by then,” Joe Perry says in Walk This Way, “but you can hear that whatever we were doing, it was still working for us.” Perry claims that he wrote the riff to Rocks‘ barnstorming opener, “Back in the Saddle,” while he was high on heroin, which Steven Tyler was also abusing throughout the Rocks sessions, along with cocaine and booze.

Aerosmith backed out of Woodstock ’99 because of a scheduling conflict, but it never really belonged on that stage to begin with. The band had surrendered any semblance of danger in its genetic makeup many years earlier. Did Aerosmith sever itself from the band’s former greatness by diluting its essence down to a milquetoast consistency? Or did Aerosmith understand that, in pop music, you go where the audience goes, which means sticking with what sells and chucking the rest — even when “the rest” eventually includes rock and roll?

My heart says the former. But my head knows better. Aerosmith was a drug-fueled rock band when drug-fueled rock bands were big business, it was a non-drug-fueled rock band when non-drug-fueled rock bands were big business, and now it’s barely a rock band when rock is barely in business at all. Aerosmith has stuck around because it’s not married to a fixed idea of what Aerosmith is supposed to be.

10. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I did not know that Aerosmuth was so wild back in the day.

Aerosmith: How a big, bad drug monster begat a big-business rock band
    https://grantland.com/features/the-w...t-4-aerosmith/
    I'm coming to the conclusion that I have a strong automatic distaste for wild mustang bands that were tamed by the music machine. No...not tamed. Broken, or neutered.

Metallica was neutered.

Journey was ... hm. Journey always wanted to be tamed.

RHCP was "tamed" but in a way that was almost perfectly aligned with their own vision.

Beach Boys ...lol... they sorta tamed music, not the other way around. While it lasted.

Aerosmith was neutered.

It's inevitable with "brands." And I hate that. Death of the mercurial.

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Yikes. I haven't listened to *any* Aerosmith yet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Lists:

*note* All the reviewers said that they actively enjoyed albums ~10 and better...and about 6-7 and up they love.

dude 1
    #15 - Music from Another Dimension (2012)
    #14 - Honkin' on Bobo (2004)
    #13 - Get A Grip (1993)
    #12 - Just Push Play (2001)
    #11 - Done With Mirrors (1985)
    #10 - Permanent Vacation (1987)
    #9 - Pump (1989)
    #8 - Aerosmith (1973)
    #7 - Nine Lives (1997)
    #6 - Draw the Line (1977)
    #5 - Rocks (1976)
    #4 - Get Your Wings (1974)
    #3 - Rock in a Hard Place (1982)
    #2 - Night in the Ruts (1979)
    #1 - Toys in the Attic (1975)

dude 2
    #15 - Just Push Play (2001)
    #14 - Music from Another Dimension (2012)
    #13 - Nine Lives (1997)
    #12 - Honkin' on Bobo (2004)
    #11 - Rock in a Hard Place (1982)
    #10 - Night in the Ruts (1979)
    #9 - Pump (1989)
    #8 - Done With Mirrors (1985)
    #7 - Get Your Wings (1974)
    #6 - Get A Grip (1993)
    #5 - Permanent Vacation (1987)
    #4 - Aerosmith (1973)
    #3 - Draw the Line (1977)
    #2 - Rocks (1975)

dude 3
    #15 - Music from Another Dimension (2012)
    #14 - Honkin' on Bobo (2004)
    #13 - Nine Lives (1997)
    #12 - Just Push Play (2001)
    #11 - Done With Mirrors (1985)
    #10 - Night in the Ruts (1979)
    #9 - Aerosmith (1973)
    #8 - Get A Grip (1993)
    #7 - Rock in a Hard Place (1982)
    #6 - Permanent Vacation (1987)
    #5 - Draw the Line (1977)
    #4 - Get Your Wings (1974)
    #3 - Pump (1989)
    #2 - Rocks (1976)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm going to give Toys in the Attic a couple weeks.

If this band is this good, I deserve to fall head over heels with a masterpiece.

I've heard the album a couple of times.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Lowest ranking among three random music snobs:

Toys in the Attic (1975) #1
    Rocks (1976) #5
    Draw the Line (1977) #6
    Get Your Wings (1974) #7
    Pump (1989) #9
    Aerosmith (1973) #9
    Night in the Ruts (1979) #10
    Permanent Vacation (1987) #10
    Done With Mirrors (1985) #11
    Rock in a Hard Place (1982) #11
    Nine Lives (1997) #13
    Get A Grip (1993) #13
    Honkin' on Bobo (2004) #14
    Music from Another Dimension (2012) #15
    Just Push Play (2001) #15

Highest ranking among three random music snobs:

Toys in the Attic (1975) #1
    Rocks (1976) #2
    Night in the Ruts (1979) #2
    Pump (1989) #3
    Draw the Line (1977) #3
    Rock in a Hard Place (1982) #3
    Get Your Wings (1974) #4
    Aerosmith (1973) #4
    Permanent Vacation (1987) #5
    Get A Grip (1993) #6
    Nine Lives (1997) #7
    Done With Mirrors (1985) #8
    Honkin' on Bobo (2004) #12
    Just Push Play (2001) #12
    Music from Another Dimension (2012) #14

The lists are actually almost identical in cardinal order. Night in the Ruts and Rock in a Hard Place shifted slightly, but either way, it's a good guide. I'm done for now with Toys, six times in a row is enough for now. I need to listen a bazillion times before it sinks in, that's just me. Damned good album. I'll circle back over the next bit. Need to add some other ingredients to this dish. For now, I'm on to Rocks.

Where do you come down on them?

Is there any chance in hell you actually listen to any of them? Three of them? What the hell am I doing?

Finding truth. That's what I'm doing.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I appreciate Aerosmith, but listening to an actual Aerosmith album is way at the bottom of my list of things I'm interested in doing.

18. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I appreciate Aerosmith, but listening to an actual Aerosmith album is way at the bottom of my list of things I'm interested in doing.
    Looks like I'm taking one for the team then!!

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Here's what I'll do.

I'm actually taking this seriously. I'm pretending I'm a young BroncoJoe perking my ears to the line "she told me to walk this way, talk this way" and getting my 70's teen white boy swag on.

I'll make a five song deep cut sort of list.

I'm not sure what qualifies as deep cut, but the idea is to utterly rule out Aerosmith from consideration, but also honor their contribution to American rock.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information