Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreadnought's Old Prog Rock Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I think you might dig this Dread. Current day Opeth much lighter vocally than they were when they began. But this is a new tune off the latest record check it out and tell me what you think.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I think you might dig this Dread. Current day Opeth much lighter vocally than they were when they began. But this is a new tune off the latest record check it out and tell me what you think.

You're right, that was really good
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

4. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I agreed last night to buy a set of inexpensive headphones for my daughter after she asked for them. I put one condition on the purchase - the first tune she should listen to was "In the Court of the Crimson King"

She told me it was amazing, like there were layers of sound underneath layers of sound, and lots of interesting things going on throughout. That's my Girl!
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 08-29-2014 at 11:41 AM.

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

While I don't believe in inexpensive head phones, King Crimson is a nice place for a quality check.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

8. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Dread, since you're doing a bit of history elsewhere, this year is the 40th anniversary for both Red and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. WTF? Where did the time go?

10. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    Dread, since you're doing a bit of history elsewhere, this year is the 40th anniversary for both Red and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. WTF? Where did the time go?
    Wow.

I've was sorely tempted, Softee; King Crimson is going to be in Albany for two shows next Tue and Wed., but tix were $160. With my upcoming Denver trip I couldn't justify it. Now both shows are sold out so its academic.

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Sorry you cant make the local shows but a Bronco's gig never sucks. I saw that KC would be out here in October. The band has an interesting collection of player on the current tour and I'm a big Tony Levin fan. The tickets here are only $125 for the up close and personal orchestra seats at the Warfield. My problem is the two hour drive on a Friday night to SF. I did the Berkeley show for Peter Gabriel two years ago. Makes for a long evening. Did I mention 40 years ago?

13. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Really looking forward to the upcoming solo album Hand. Cannot Erase. by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Opeth (producer) fame. His last album, The Raven that Refused to Sing won all kinds of awards in 2013 and was a purely 1970s style progressive rock album that sounded like it could have very well been some lost gem in the vinyl rack from 1973. This album, on the other hand, incorporates some of his other more contemporary songwriting styles. It's still a progressive/experimental rock album for sure and it still has the same beastly musicians. The video previews sound amazing!

Last edited by pulse; 01-08-2015 at 11:48 PM.
    A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones
    Everybody has a preference. Some guys like them round. Some guys like them thin. Some guys like them tacky. Some guys like them brand new. Some guys like old balls. --Tom Brady

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived pulse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Really looking forward to the upcoming solo album Hand. Cannot Erase. by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Opeth (producer) fame. His last album, The Raven that Refused to Sing won all kinds of awards in 2013 and was a purely 1970s style progressive rock album that sounded like it could have very well been some lost gem in the vinyl rack from 1973. This album, on the other hand, incorporates some of his other more contemporary songwriting styles. It's still a progressive/experimental rock album for sure and it still has the same beastly musicians. The video previews sound amazing!

Thanks for the heads up! I really liked "the Raven that refused to sing" and I am convinced Steven Wilson is pretty much the most brilliant writer/composer/musician out there right now. Looking forward to this new effort

With the moon.. above... and the sun.. below...

dun dunnn.. dun dunnnn.. dun dunn... dun dunnnnnn...
    A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones
    Everybody has a preference. Some guys like them round. Some guys like them thin. Some guys like them tacky. Some guys like them brand new. Some guys like old balls. --Tom Brady

Steven Wilson's new album, Hand. Cannot. Erase. is a 10/10. He must have sold his soul. It's crazy damn good as in among the best albums of this decade good. Glad I have the Blu-ray coming. I can't wait to hear this in 5.1 surround.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived pulse For This Post:

You can stream the first track off of Hand.Cannot.Erase. here:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/stream-...-cannot-erase/

If that link is slow:

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson...-3-years-older
    Last edited by pulse; 02-24-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Another link to the song.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    You can stream the first track off of Hand.Cannot.Erase. here:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/stream-...-cannot-erase/
    Very nice, thanks! Kind of reminds me a bit of Porcupine Tree meets Yes at times
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 02-24-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Acceptable for this thread, Dread?

Alex Lifeson's guitar playing in the mid to late 70's was fantastic. I forced Estela to listen to both 2112 and Hemispheres in their entirety one day when we were relaxing on the beach with a cooler full of beer and a couple of left handed cigarettes.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Acceptable for this thread, Dread?
    lol... Does a bear shit in the woods?

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived pulse For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information