Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreadnought's Old Prog Rock Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree over the past couple of months. Pure brilliance; kind of a cross between King Crimson and Tool, with some early Pink Floyd thrown in. Proof that superb music is still being made.
    I had never heard of them, so I headed over to YouTube to take a listen.

Good stuff, musically.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

2. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree over the past couple of months. Pure brilliance; kind of a cross between King Crimson and Tool, with some early Pink Floyd thrown in. Proof that superb music is still being made.
    Check this band out. I highly doubt you will like it in the long run but give it a chance.

Lyrics:

Red lights
    Stone walls
    Rise above our heads
    Golden sun
    Ray of light
    across the room

The sun makes its way in
    Destined to wake
    You're in my
    sight again
    Faithful guide
    of vanity
    Here we stand
    among no others
    From within
    hall of the dead

Makes them going through
    the room with white lights

Push forward
    Lifeless body at the sign
    lay around us
    listening above us
    Over our heads
    they all lay
    listening
    lifted above us

We must be this band
    Of the needy king

Don't look back, press on

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    I had never heard of them, so I headed over to YouTube to take a listen.

Good stuff, musically.

-----
    Steve Wilson is a genius IMO. Apparently he started the band as a joke/hoax back in the 80's - they were a fictional invention of his that was supposedly a "lost" Prog band from the early 70's. He made up bios of nonexistent band members, discographies, etc. Eventually he got called on it so produced some music on his own that he attributed to PT, and they took off from there after he recruited other real live band members
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

5. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Here's one for you Dread/Top:

Isis AND Porcupine Tree on this thread...I love you guys

Isis' Panopticon is possibly my favourite all time album (it's between that and Lateralus, I can't decide). I'm very much into my "New prog" (as they call it), Porcupine are an excellent band as they effortlessly mix so many genres together whilst retaining a singular identity and creating seamless, cohesive albums.

Couple of other bands to check out from the UK as they're not so big in the US:

Pure Reason Revolution - their second album's taken a bit of an electro turn but if you like Pink Floyd, you should enjoy their first, The Dark Third (I love both albums personally). Atmosphere, big riffs, three part harmonies. What more do you want?

Oceansize - jokingly refer to themselves as "progressive death indie", Oceansize are a great band who mix a little bit of metal, a little bit of prog, a dash of indie and post-rock and have a pretty huge sound. All of their albums are fantastic.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived muse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Animations- Sonic Maze

Animals as Leaders- On Impluse

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Joe Walsh - Look at Us Now

Relatively little known. Poignant message and a nice drum solo toward the end.

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 12-23-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

My alltime favorite Walsh song:

12. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Follow up - checked out Isis and Pure Reason Revolution. isis was...interesting. Great instrumental work, wretched vocals (i hate the "growls from the depths of Hell" approach to vocals)

Pure Reason Revolution is going on my MP3 rotation. Any recommendations?

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Did you check out the Animations and Animals as Leaders (post 21)? Those dont have any growling in them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Did you check out the Animations and Animals as Leaders (post 21)? Those dont have any growling in them. lol
    I love me some Animations, they are in my regular rotation as a staple. Do they only have the one album? I would love to get some more of their stuff.
    "There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date. Some day very soon, Life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go... empty."

16. The Following User High Fived drewloc For This Post:

Follow up - checked out Isis and Pure Reason Revolution. isis was...interesting. Great instrumental work, wretched vocals (i hate the "growls from the depths of Hell" approach to vocals)

Pure Reason Revolution is going on my MP3 rotation. Any recommendations?
    It took me a while to get used to Isis' vocals, but after listening to them quite a bit I began to appreciate how they complement the music. I'm by no means a growly vocals fan, but Aaron Turner really grew on me. Instrumentally, my favourite album is Panopticon - there aren't a whole lot of vocals on the album and the musical texturing (to me) is just stunning. Definitely the sort of album that you want to listen to lying on a bean bag, lights dimmed, eyes closed. It's my favourite album of this decade.

As far as Pure Reason Revolution go, the first album plus the additional material from that era is the proggiest stuff (as I said earlier, the newer stuff takes on an electro bent...they never lost their identity, it's just a much different animal).

The first album - The Dark Third - comes in many different varieties. There's been a lot of debate between us fans about which one is best...my favourite is the original UK release - this contains two tracks which I think best fit in the album context compared to tracks which replace them on the US/European version. If you're looking for completeness, try to get a hold of the European 2-disc version (although it's a bit elusive...)

If you want song recommendations (which I'm a little loathe to do because the album works so well as a whole), my 5 top tracks are:

Twyncyn/Trembling Willows
    Bright Ambassadors of Morning
    Arrival/The Intention Craft
    Bullits Dominae
    In Aurelia

For a bit of second album love, try "The Gloaming" and "Deus ex Machina". Sorry 'bout the long winded post, they're just very close to my heart

18. The Following User High Fived muse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by drewloc View Post
    I love me some Animations, they are in my regular rotation as a staple. Do they only have the one album? I would love to get some more of their stuff.
    They actually just released a new one this year called "Rest your Soul". Not quite as good as the debut but still good stuff.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Not yet - music must be played a good volume to be properly appreciated, and those opportunities for me are fewer.

I love my wife dearly, but her taste in music is not good...

21. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I am taking my daughter to see a Genesis tribute band tonight. It could be lame or a great experience, or maybe a bit of both. Its never too early to start educating your kids on the dangers of Pop music.

She has been listening to Genesis for a few months, and I randomly hear her singing Genesis tunes aroung the house. There is nothing quite like "The Musical Box" or "I know what I like" as sung by an 8 year old girl.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information