Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 360 kicks off E3 2009

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

There is no doubt that the Wii is more of a "family-oriented" system. But E3 should have been their chance to bring out the big guns, which they failed to do. It was too much of the DS this year. Microsoft and Sony made huge strides at their pressers kicking Nintendo to the curb. But we'll see how it turns out for the big N. I really doubt Mario alone can help them keep up with the other two.
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

2. The Following User High Fived ikillz0mbies For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by ikillz0mbies View Post
    There is no doubt that the Wii is more of a "family-oriented" system. But E3 should have been their chance to bring out the big guns, which they failed to do. It was too much of the DS this year. Microsoft and Sony made huge strides at their pressers kicking Nintendo to the curb. But we'll see how it turns out for the big N. I really doubt Mario alone can help them keep up with the other two.
    Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    Actually they're making a lot of buck. Nevermind their Gameboy sales which are consistently through the roof. I own a Wii and am not really a fan, but I hook it up for my nephew often and he likes it a lot; I can see a lot of parents doing this for their kids. That's a fairly large market that the Xbox/PS3 just don't really cater to all that much.
    This isn't about money it's about who they're catering to and who they're dissing. They're slowly becoming like EA. I know the DS makes $$$$ massively, but they've forgotten who've got them to where they are in the home market. I also understand that PS3 and 360 have a lot of different genres and shooters (especially 360) and cater more to adults, but there is an assortment of family oriented games. Viva Pinata is a great family game and it is friggin' hilarious fun, even I liked them. Banjo Kazzoie, Sonic games, Lego... these are right off the top of my head here for the 360, and Sony has a few too.

Also, Wii has the lowest game sales attachment rate of the three followed by Sony. MS tops that list I think because the library of games is already massive, that it's original launch and earlier games that are still really good (like CoD2 or GRAW for example) can be had for $10 or less at outlets like Gamestop. Gears and Mass Effect are $20. Sony is getting their platinum hits going, so they'll be going in that manner too.

N will always have the cash on hand, but if they want to stay on top, they don't want to sever the people who got them to where they are. For the hardcore gamer they need to do more. Eventually those will jump ship when a 360 can be had for $200 or less and PS3 gets another price drop. Just look at the multi-platofrm titles coming out, some cannot even be developed for the Wii's lesser hardware. They need to stop with the cooking and cutie sims and crap like that and focus a bit more on games like Madworld to keep their core that built them.

Nintendo was dethroned once before for moving in this same direction. It can happen again.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 06-06-2009 at 12:41 AM.

4. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

Let's hope that Nintendo doesn't turn the Wii into the Gamecube...ugh....

6. The Following User High Fived ikillz0mbies For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Gamecube didn't even beat the XBox in sales, and N64 despite a few great games, lagged behind the PS1. They also fugged their base up by lowering the price so quickly and screwed over their launch customers.

I don't know... I'm just not a Super Mario guy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

Smash Bros. will always be a favorite.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Shazam! they aren't cutting off the arm that got them there, they are still catering to it. The people that got Nintendo to where they are is kids. I remember when Mortal Kombat came out it sucked on the SNES because they took out all the gore. Sure the SNES had killer instinct and Street Figher, but it was always "How much of the gore will actually be in the game". The main corpus of Nintendo games have always been focused towards kids with the occasional adult oriented title.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

10. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Shazam! they aren't cutting off the arm that got them there, they are still catering to it. The people that got Nintendo to where they are is kids. I remember when Mortal Kombat came out it sucked on the SNES because they took out all the gore. Sure the SNES had killer instinct and Street Figher, but it was always "How much of the gore will actually be in the game". The main corpus of Nintendo games have always been focused towards kids with the occasional adult oriented title.
    I love Nintendo, but have not/will not get a Wii. The only thing I would play are the classic downloads, and I have all the NES/SNES/N64 games on Emulators that I need so its pointless. I have borrowed my friends to play Mario Galaxy and Zelda and Metroid, and will borrow it again for New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Punch-out is pretty sweet too!

With the DS, Nintendo should realize that many people like me like the old-school appeal of platformers (2-D Sidescrollers, give me Mario World over Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy any day). I love my DS more than my 360 sometimes. It has great Mario, Zelda, and Castlevania games on it that remind me that you don't need to wave your arms around like an idiot to have fun with a game.

Its a neat novelty, but thats it. Just like every game should not use the Guitar Hero Controller, I hope Nintendo and Xbox realize that Wii-motion and Project Natal are tools, not the future of the systems. Some people like me just want to sit and concentrate on the game with a controller in my hand. If I REALLY wanted to play dodgeball, I'd go outside. On the other hand, if Project Natal can finally produce a Star Wars game where you use your body to use a lightsaber and fight people I'd be all over it. When looking for the next big thing, I hope these companies don't forget that sometimes the more simple things are the more fun they are.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    There are entire generations of people who grew up supporting Nintendo from when the NES was new, similar to thousands of Playstation owners who showed brand loyalty over the years from the original PS. These N fans don't want to play cooking Sims or cutesy games. These are the people they are cutting off.

Look what happened to the loyalty people showed Sega. Genesis owners bought a Saturn and got ****ed. Some bought a Dreamcast and got ****ed again.

I support the 360 now because it fits my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    On the other hand, if Project Natal can finally produce a Star Wars game where you use your body to use a lightsaber and fight people I'd be all over it.
    They made a game like this for the Wii, and it sucked.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post

They made a game like this for the Wii, and it sucked.
    Yeah, but that game was not true motion control and neither is the Wii. Natal tracks your whole body so that would be pretty neat if they could pull it off.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yeah, but that game was not true motion control and neither is the Wii. Natal tracks your whole body so that would be pretty neat if they could pull it off.
    Keep in mind that there would be no dismemberment.... even though it was in the older games such as Jedi Academy... it didn't used to give an automatic 'M' rating for it either. That's why there were so many complaints about lightsabers in TFU just being 'glowing bats'.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Keep in mind that there would be no dismemberment.... even though it was in the older games such as Jedi Academy... it didn't used to give an automatic 'M' rating for it either. That's why there were so many complaints about lightsabers in TFU just being 'glowing bats'.
    I think he was referring to the Clone Wars title on the Wii that focused heavily on lightsaber controls (based on the CGI movie and Cartoon). The Force Unleashed was pretty good. I still pick that up from time to time to play as Darth Maul.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Very interesting thoughts about the systems. I was one who had a Sega, then an N64, then Dreamcast, never got into Nintendo much. The Wii does not really appeal to me all that much outside of golf!

One thing I do like is how more games are crossing systems. Sure its nice to be specific to a system to some fans but if its a good game let em all have it!

I don't see the Wii being the Gamecube, it might fall back because of the lack of adult content but the kids sure love the darn things and it gets some adults playing as well who own no systems.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Very interesting thoughts about the systems. I was one who had a Sega, then an N64, then Dreamcast, never got into Nintendo much. The Wii does not really appeal to me all that much outside of golf!

One thing I do like is how more games are crossing systems. Sure its nice to be specific to a system to some fans but if its a good game let em all have it!

I don't see the Wii being the Gamecube, it might fall back because of the lack of adult content but the kids sure love the darn things and it gets some adults playing as well who own no systems.
    I had when they were new, an Atari 2600, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, Turbografx 16, Sega Genesis, Playstation to the currents. I still have a Master System and a Turbografx with almost 20 games I fire up every now and again, and a Genesis.

I was never into the Mario games, probably why I never owned a Nintendo except for a brief period I had a Gamecube (got it for $25 when it was still a commodity) and I borrowed a SNES from my bro just to play Street Fighter 2 in the very early 90's so I could kick his ass. The only Mario I played was Super Mario Bros when it was packed in the NES and in the arcade cabinets. I don't really enjoy platformers that I think are silly and cartoony like Mario and Sonic. I preferred more action games and the turn-based RPGs like Phantasy Star to the mcombat of Zelda. I guess that came from my days of Dungeons and Dragons. That's why I never had a Nintendo.

Shazam, you are the video game guy round these parts.

Talk to me about a Final Fantasy game on the 360, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

21. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Shazam, you are the video game guy round these parts.

Talk to me about a Final Fantasy game on the 360, please.
    I don't know about that K but thank you for that compliment.

FFXIII is coming to the 360 (announced in 2008) and there was a trailer at E3 running on the 360 and is expected in 2010. Here's the E3 extended trailer-

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/1...ren_52109.html

FFXIV is an MMORPG that Sony announced as exclusive but at Square's E3 presser, they said they're exploring 'all avenues' for it's release, not ruling out it coming to 360 which just makes sense. FFXI still has 2 million+ subscribers on 360, so it makes sense.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 06-07-2009 at 10:55 AM.

23. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information