Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos' Marshall tells his side of domestic violence story

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos' Marshall tells his side of domestic violence story

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12489895

Wearing a dark pinstriped suit, white shirt and plum tie, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall sat on the griddle that was an ESPN show this morning.

ESPN's "Outside The Lines" had just finished a report that rehashed his domestic violence incidents with his former girlfriend Rasheeda Watley.

"I would like to say again, I never put my hand on Rasheeda Watley," Marshall said.

The segment reviewed Marshall's numerous police-related incidents with Watley, who said she had first become his girlfriend 12 years ago, when they were both 13 years old.

The report portrayed Watley as the victim of domestic violence and Marshall as an abuser. It played several 911 recordings of a hysterical Watley. It interviewed Watley, who often spoke through tears, and her parents, Clarence and Vienna Watley. Marshall was interviewed live, after the taped report.

While the Watleys were thoroughly questioned about the details of the domestic incidents, ESPN did not ask them about two attorney-drafted letters that sought $500,000 from Marshall in one and $100,000 for the other. ESPN did report the request for the money in exchange for not pressing charges.

"It's evident that this is clearly about money," Marshall said.

Although the Broncos were caught up in the Marshall crossfire, the team declined comment on the report today. Vienna Watley said after one incident, she received a call from Betsy Klein, who was then the Broncos' director of player and organizational development.

"She was calling on behalf of Brandon," Vienna said. "She said Brandon had obviously hit her, assaulted her and he's very upset by it and we needed to understand where he was coming from and he tried to get (Klein) to help him work through it. ... That's what she said, that we needed to give him a second chance."

Said Clarence Watley: "I told Betsy, I said 'you guys put the trophy case in the Broncos organization more than you are valuing the protection and safety of my daughter."'

Klein is no longer employed by the Broncos.

Among the more possible incriminating details in the report was a kitchen knife wound Watley received in her thigh, and an e-mail Marshall sent to Watley. In the e-mail, Marshall wrote to Watley, "please don't take everything away from me."

As for the knife wound, Marshall said today: "Let's talk about the facts here. ... She told the police that she accidently cut herself with the kitchen knife. She also told police that she and Marshall had a verbal dispute but that no physical contact had occurred."

The most recent incident between Marshall and Watley occurred March 6, 2008 in Atlanta. Marshall received misdemeanor battery charges and will go to trial in June.

The ESPN report was aired as the NFL office is reviewing another police-related matter involving Marshall and his current fiancé, Michi Nogami. The couple were arrested following a quarrel on March 1, although charges were dropped by a court judge the next day.

In his interview, Marshall did admit that his numerous incidents would be considered "a problem" by people observing him.

"As a professional athlete there's a certain standard you should uphold," he said. "Me being in the NFL there's a certain image I have to protect. Every day I put in the back of my mind that the NFL shield not only represents me but everyone involved in it."

Marshall has been rehabbing from hip surgery in Orlando, although he returned Saturday night to Denver for the ESPN interview.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

You can watch the OTL videos here: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=421...goryid=3286128
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived honz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

She sounds like a crazy, money grubbing ho to me.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived Italianmobstr7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Italianmobstr7 View Post
    She sounds like a crazy, money grubbing ho to me.
    Many times - that is what these things are about - MONEY - MONEY - MONEY

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

8. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

I want to believe Brandon, but it's hard to really tell who's telling the truth in this case. That woman's story has changed several times which is a good sign of a liar, but there are a lot of separate incidents...

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived honz For This Post:

Money grubbing ho explains the first girlfriend. But there's a pattern developed here with the fiance. Get it together Brandon before we take out the trash.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoTech For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoTech View Post
    Money grubbing ho explains the first girlfriend. But there's a pattern developed here with the fiance. Get it together Brandon before we take out the trash.
    They were both arrested for arguing in public...and then the charges were dropped almost immediately...

Brandon broke the cardinal rule here. Say nothin'.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Brandon broke the cardinal rule here. Say nothin'.
    I was thinking the same thing - certainly will give her/her lawyers things to try and prove that Brandon is not telling the truth.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

17. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I'm more concerned about a near end zone celebration that would have cost us yardage in a very close game. If he has matured he wouldn't need Stokely over there telling him 'don't do it, don't do it'.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoTech For This Post:

I guess as a 13 year old she saw lots of money at the end of the rainbow..

Is there mental thing there probably but it all comes back Marshall not making very good decisions over the years.. will he get better? only time will tell..

Having a gazillion dollars will that help his decision making probably not.. most of the time that only exacerbates the issue..

The only way I would offer him a new contract is with alot of "rules to live by".. and LOTS of incentives to do well on the field.. for example his current contract was base $400K but he made $2.2 mil last year because he had incentive to do so..

21. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Anyone watch the interview?

Bob Ley was such a jerk here...for God's sake he didn't even give Brandon a chance from the start. Constantly trying to get him to prove his guilt, and didn't even give him a chance to get his closing statement off without interrupting him.

Admin on the "other" site, still your friendly Broncos fan

23. The Following 6 Users High Fived RunYouOver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

Rodger goodell didn't need a reminder of brandon and his off field BS...Should of just keep quiet about it..IMHO.

Not saying Rodger would have forgotten if not reminded, but he doesn't want shit publicly brought up...I can bet on that.

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived Benetto For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Rodger goodell didn't need a reminder of brandon and his off field BS...Should of just keep quiet about it..IMHO.

Not saying Rodger would have forgotten if not reminded, but he doesn't want shit publicly brought up...I can bet on that.
    Problem is, with her and her parents doing what they did publicly, I would think Brandon felt he needed to tell his side of the story.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

27. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I'm more concerned about a near end zone celebration that would have cost us yardage in a very close game. If he has matured he wouldn't need Stokely over there telling him 'don't do it, don't do it'.

Why does everyone think it would have drawn a flag? It might not have. It was just a glove that was half white half black.

Regardless, it would have been a stupid move considering how close the game was, but we dont know if it would have been a factor.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information