Thread: Server offline 1 hour this morning -- 15 minutes yesterday

Default Server offline 1 hour this morning -- 15 minutes yesterday

The server was unreachable for 15 minutes yesterday (not down, but not possible to connect to it), and then this morning I got a "server down page" at 3:45am.

The server is reachable again, obviously since I am posting this. Apparently the datacenter where the server is located had a major network problem, which took an hour to resolve. They house thousands of servers there. I am not sure if all were effected, but other customers were posting about being down on some of the hosting forums. The company has a very good reputation, and this is only been the second prolonged full network outage since we have been with them.

This is unrelated to the slow page load problem we were experiencing for the first week after moving to the new server.

I am waiting for a detailed explanation of what happened, but now that everything seems back to normal, I might go back to bed for a few hours and then check for their update on what happened to their network..

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

you should worry less and sleep more...
    the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived anton... For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    The server was unreachable for 15 minutes yesterday (not down, but not possible to connect to it), and then this morning I got a "server down page" at 3:45am.

The server is reachable again, obviously since I am posting this. Apparently the datacenter where the server is located had a major network problem, which took an hour to resolve. They house thousands of servers there. I am not sure if all were effected, but other customers were posting about being down on some of the hosting forums. The company has a very good reputation, and this is only been the second prolonged full network outage since we have been with them.

This is unrelated to the slow page load problem we were experiencing for the first week after moving to the new server.

I am waiting for a detailed explanation of what happened, but now that everything seems back to normal, I might go back to bed for a few hours and then check for their update on what happened to their network..
    Question Tned - when this happens, to they issue a money credit to you?

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Question Tned - when this happens, to they issue a money credit to you?
    Each hosting company has a different policy. Where the server currently is, they guarantee 99.9% uptime of the part of the network they control, and issue a 5% credit for every hour of downtine OVER .1% in a given month, but the clock starts from when you put in a trouble ticket stating you are down.

So, bottom line the server needs to be down for close to two hours in a given month (and that would require me putting in a support ticket as soon as it went down each time) before they would start issuing credits.

In this case, there will likely be no credit.

They have posted an official explanation:

We had one of our network layer distribution switches crash on us last night...twice. We only have about 8 racks on this switch so only a small portion of the network was affected. Unfortunately, the 8 racks that were affected are mostly new servers that have been online for a short period of time. So to all of our new customers that had an issue, I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We resolved early this morning and no one should face any further problems. Should this switch happen to crash again we have a redundant switch ready to go.
    When we upgraded to the new server two weeks ago, we became part of that group of "new" servers.

7. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

damn being a newbie again..

sucks..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information