Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderation and the Smack Forum

I hope our resident watch dogs take the time to voice their opinions. Don't hide behind the report post button.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    That eliminates two of my three favorite things in life...
    It not like we are going to ban you from kissing your hogs.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I hope our resident watch dogs take the time to voice their opinions. Don't hide behind the report post button.
    Well, I don't report posts, because after doing so for a while I was labeled a whiner by the mods.

I do, however, have some objection to the matter in which the smack forum has been moderated. And, no, I really don't have a thin skin.

Trolling and baiting has been allowed in the smack forums, but when that baiting results in the deserved response, the person who delivers the deserved response is the person who receives the reprimand. So, my only complaint has simply been, if we are relaxing rules in the forum, then the rules that are relaxed or not enforced need to be clearly stated. Simply saying that some rules are relaxed is not sufficient enough of an answer, imo.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    Thanks for making this thread.

I know I have taken the smack forum by storm. You Bronco fans aren't used to not winning in the smack forum. You see in the past, you could could just say that the Chargers have no SB rings. Or you could just say that the Chiefs suck.

But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan? You can't smack about which team has the better history, clearly its the Raiders. You can't smack about who is the better team right now is, clearly it's Oakland.

So what can you really say to me? Nothing. You cant say anything to me, so then I think that's when people start flinging out the personal attacks on me. Because they can't beat me in Smack. I really don't mind personal attacks, it's the smack forum.

Post of the year....in a town hall thread no less.

As far as my thoughts on the actual topic of this thread, I agree with dogfish. As long as it's nothing with families, let the trolls get slapped around. Comic relief is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I know I have taken the smack forum by storm. You Bronco fans aren't used to not winning in the smack forum. You see in the past, you could could just say that the Chargers have no SB rings. Or you could just say that the Chiefs suck.

But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan? You can't smack about which team has the better history, clearly its the Raiders. You can't smack about who is the better team right now is, clearly it's Oakland.

So what can you really say to me? Nothing. You cant say anything to me, so then I think that's when people start flinging out the personal attacks on me. Because they can't beat me in Smack. I really don't mind personal attacks, it's the smack forum.
    The day you came into the smack forums it was like the clouds parted and the glorious sun shone on the Broncos Forums. We had been shuffling our feet, eyes fixed to the ground, and then, LO, appeareth OaklandRaider!

The dejected mass of Broncos fans soon held a feast in honor of their new magnate. The festival was stretched from one day to a week, and then to a month, and then, permanently. O joy! OaklandRaider has come!

So I hope you see why you can never, ever leave Mr. OaklandRaider. We would be lost and heartbroke. We would likely bed a chefs fan to wash away our sorrows. We would fall into a slump of depression and text our old bolts ex's. We might even log on to OKCupid and find a warm bears fan to comfort us through the blackest depths of night.

Mr. OaklandRaider we need you.

Like we need a venereal disease to remind us of the luster of innocent youth. Like we need dingleberries to remind us of the prudence of hygiene. Like we need a drowning to remind us of the pleasure of air.

Never leave us.

oops. I thought this was smack.

I like Thnik's idea. Smack needs to be more bold, not less. I concur with DF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    okay, first off, this is not one of "those threads"-- you know, the ones where everybody lines up to take a shot at the mods for their horrible bias and inevitable tendency to ruin the board (sorry buff ). . . . i'd just like to see some things clarified regarding moderation of the smack forum. . . i remember a while back in one of the initial big town hall discussions it was decided that moderation would be looser in that forum when it came to personal attacks, as exchanging insults is essentially the function of that forum. . .

i'm well aware that that's a grey area, but it's worked quite well until recently. . . but over the past week or so, there has been a tightening down in that forum, with repeated warnings to smack the team, not the poster, and at least one mod mentioning that this was a result of reported posts. . .

really??

who reports posts in the smack forum? i mean, i can see if they're just blatantly over the line, out and out profanity-laden flamings, but i myself have yet to see any exchanges there that would qualify IMO. . . i'd love to know if there have been large numbers of reports from a good-sized group of posters, or if we're talking about a couple of complaints from one or two individuals. . . if it's the former, then i think it's time for a town hall discussion about the purpose of the smack forum-- if it's the latter, i wonder if maybe the mods couldn't just remind those individuals of the results of the previous town hall discussion where it was decided that more leeway would be given in the smack section. . .

because really, if you aren't able to question the intelligence and sanity of opposing fans, why even have that forum? we could just go to lockdown mode and ban fans of other teams the first time they make a derrogatory post, but do we really want to be a bunch of big poosies like the chargers boards? i don't! or, we could just make the smack forum into a "debate forum," where all you're allowed to do is compare stats. . . . boooring!

i do agree that out-and-out 4chan style flame wars aren't necessary, but it's going to get a little contentious in there-- that's just the nature of the beast. . . . if it makes you angry, you probably shouldn't post there, rather than complaining to the mods because you don't like what someone had to say. . . if the trolls irritate you, why are you in that section in the first place?? as far as i'm concerned, even the slightest trolling outside that forum should be greeted with extreme prejudice and eradicated utterly, but let the smack section serve its purpose for those who enjoy it. . . it's been going fine up until now, no need to start tightening the reigns. . . .

discuss. . . . .

Pretty much says it all. The smack section is not for the thin skinned. It's only made to insult. Rival fans want to get the home team riled. Some start stuff off the bat. Others retort. It's the same goal, to put down the team. I only like to put down a poster if his smack is weak and rhetorical in my eyes, which is rare here, or otherwise I just play accordingly. Oakland Raider is here to start shit. I'm too lazy, I prefer to counter-attack and maybe if I get really pissed then I'll start something. I think the variety of the rivalry and smack is good.

About family members, I don't get into that stuff, but it really shouldn't bother people. I mean really, an anonymous person who's never met your family is telling a fantastic tale about your family. Big deal. Your response is his victory. Oakland Raider and I actually went at it on the other board, as we had different views on how to attack the enemy. He called me old. So what did I do? I got my reading classes, turned on my hearing aid, rubbed some Ben Gay on my body and asked him to repeat himself because my old ass couldn't read or hear him. Ah the fun we had that day.

The Chargers board is way worse than this one and as such, is boring. Leave it as it is here and enjoy the life. If the personal attacks really get you, report it to a mod and let the poster get a warning. If the smack section bothers you, walk away. But I doubt either will happen because it would've happened already. And you have too much pride for your team to let someone just run amuck, and we know it.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Well, I don't report posts, because after doing so for a while I was labeled a whiner by the mods.

I do, however, have some objection to the matter in which the smack forum has been moderated. And, no, I really don't have a thin skin.

Trolling and baiting has been allowed in the smack forums, but when that baiting results in the deserved response, the person who delivers the deserved response is the person who receives the reprimand. So, my only complaint has simply been, if we are relaxing rules in the forum, then the rules that are relaxed or not enforced need to be clearly stated. Simply saying that some rules are relaxed is not sufficient enough of an answer, imo.
    I feel like I should respond to this since you quoted me, but as usual, I don't have anything intelligent to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post

Just a question here Mo....do you have an inside track on if the other person involved received a reprimand? You just ASSUME that you were the only one that got a pm and the pm you got was a pm from me that wasn't even on official business it was me asking questions and trying to see where you were coming from.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

im confused, the lounge has a warning as does the smack section, quite frankly people just need to relax. i mean its smack talk deal with it. who cares what some poster from a opposing team or even the same team has to say about you, your family or your team. i mean they never met you and probally never will. insults are only as nasty as you let them be. ignore the intent and you will propser.

a big problem todays is that people worry to much about the trivial crap and tend to focus on stuff other than whats important....Some guy running his mouth on a board about stuff is trying to get a rise, thats the point of smack talk, if you respond or get but hurt, all you did was allow victory to the instigator...and it shows even further how you shouldnt have probally been in the smack section to begin with.

If you enter smack do so on the knowledge that it can get thick, irritating, and personal. if you cant accept that, then stay the hell out
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Question:

Is it okay, in the spirit of smack, to call someone a ******* idiot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    Question:

It is very poor smack, but yes.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

16. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Question:

There's a warning on the door. Agree with Thnikka....if you end up having to use the likes of that to argue a smack thread, you've already lost the battle.

You expect to have civil conversations in General Discussions. You expect when you go into smack that it isn't going to be all nice and cheery. If it's not your cup of tea, don't go in.

**That wasn't aimed at you Frau, just in general.

18. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris "goldenrod" Simms

Question:

Just run the persons name by me and I'll let you know
    TEBOW Bringing back the hb pass since 2012

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dortoh For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Question:

i don't really have a problem with it. . . . if a poster is doing nothing but incessantly slinging shit it wouldn't bother me if the mods eventually decided to reign that poster in a little before it escalated too far (as i said earlier, i think protracted, out-and-out flame wars that go on for pages are pretty counter-productive, and tend to kill threads), but i don't think a couple of personal insults here and there is anything that requires moderation. . . .

if at some point it looks like it's just degenerating into a cesspool, or stuff is leaking out to other forums (which it shouldn't, because unlike P+R we don't generally have regulars arguing with each other), then you can always revisit the subject. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Question:

In isolation this is the grown up version of you're a poo-poo head. It's not a big deal.

But it's usually the context that defines the comment. If this comment is plugged into the middle of bitter personal drivel then it's usually just boring and stale. If the back and forth is along these lines:
    you're a jerk
    no, you're a jerk
    well, you're a big fat jerk
    yeah, well you're an ugly big fat jerk and your momma is a hoe
    etc.

then it's really pointless and trivial. I would like this type of stuff moderated not because of the personal attacking, but just because it's boring and isn't 'team smack'

when it's along those same lines, but it's

you're a ******* idiot.

first, you say that Mike Leach is a cute man-doll bursting at the seams with dripping sweet buttery goodness. we all know he's really a Latvian spy that just happens to be good at one thing and one thing only, turning on certain women.
    Now in that case, it makes things a bit more heated and is actually kind of interesting. it's clearly a personal attack, but I don't have a problem with it in the smack forum because it's a gloves-off arena. let folks take their gloves off, but police it when it becomes a personal feud without a hint of team smack to make it interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

23. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information