Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Highlights of my boy

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Be careful. He might sprout something huge. I was 6 foot my freshman year, and ended up 6'8". I grew 4 inches in three months my freshman year. I defined awkward.
    So how's it like being a GIANT?

And AW4M congrats to you my man. You must be a proud PAPA
    Back 2 Back Patches on my jacket/ Orange Zippers
    Super Bowl 50 witness

2019 Broncos Pick’em Champion
    2021 Broncos Pick’em Champion

2. The Following User High Fived BORDERLINE For This Post:

Meridian High School had their first day of spring camp for incoming freshmen (He's still 14) and my boy had the fastest 40 time of the class. He ran a 4.78 and a 4.8.

They were timing the kids on astro turf, in shorts with cleats and helmets.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

My son sustained a concussion Monday because an overzealous LB thought a cheap shot on the QB would be cool. He hit him in the head while he was going down which caused the back of his head to bounce off the turf.

I'm telling ya, it really sucks seeing your kid in the ER with a neck-brace on....I mean really sucks.

6. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    My son sustained a concussion Monday because an overzealous LB thought a cheap shot on the QB would be cool. He hit him in the head while he was going down which caused the back of his head to bounce off the turf.

I'm telling ya, it really sucks seeing your kid in the ER with a neck-brace on....I mean really sucks.
    That sucks Dennis. Here's to a full recovery. Not telling you something you don't know, but don't let him get back on the field until he's 100%.

You gonna make a Bronco game this year?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    That sucks Dennis. Here's to a full recovery. Not telling you something you don't know, but don't let him get back on the field until he's 100%.

You gonna make a Bronco game this year?
    No, I probably won't even let him lift until his head aches go away. He's not playing again until he's medically cleared. My brother in law had one of his first cousins die in a high school football game a couple of years ago because he played too soon after having a concussion. It was horrible. If you google "Drew's Gift" you will probably see the story. he was a kid from Lewiston, Idaho.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

How's your son playing this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    How's your son playing this year?
    Well, the concussion seemed to be a catalyst to him not wanting to play anymore. He's not playing. It was a bummer, but it was good to see him talk about his long term future.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well, the concussion seemed to be a catalyst to him not wanting to play anymore. He's not playing. It was a bummer, but it was good to see him talk about his long term future.
    Well, don't push him and maybe he'll get interested in it again next year.

My son is going to start at RB in his last game of his 3rd/4th grade season tomorrow. I'm the DC for his team and we've had him at OLB all season because he's pretty good at tackling and one of the few kids with enough aggressiveness to attack on the defense and not just wait for the ballcarrieer to come to him, but then the other day we found he has a hidden talent for running the ball. He has the best feet on the team, not the fastest but the best at finding a hole and changing directions. So, we'll see how it goes. I think the quick feet thing is a direct result of baseball. I've been hitting grounders to him in the back yard since he was 4 so that's where the lateral movement comes from.

I hope his love of sports sticks because as of right now it's his favorite thing in the world. It's pretty cool because there is a group of about 6 or 7 kids who are all within a grade of each other who all play on the same team in baseball, football, wrestling, and in January will be starting basketball together. They're all good kids and good little athletes.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Well, don't push him and maybe he'll get interested in it again next year.

My son is going to start at RB in his last game of his 3rd/4th grade season tomorrow. I'm the DC for his team and we've had him at OLB all season because he's pretty good at tackling and one of the few kids with enough aggressiveness to attack on the defense and not just wait for the ballcarrieer to come to him, but then the other day we found he has a hidden talent for running the ball. He has the best feet on the team, not the fastest but the best at finding a hole and changing directions. So, we'll see how it goes. I think the quick feet thing is a direct result of baseball. I've been hitting grounders to him in the back yard since he was 4 so that's where the lateral movement comes from.

I hope his love of sports sticks because as of right now it's his favorite thing in the world. It's pretty cool because there is a group of about 6 or 7 kids who are all within a grade of each other who all play on the same team in baseball, football, wrestling, and in January will be starting basketball together. They're all good kids and good little athletes.

I definitely didn't push him. There's actually more to the story that I didn't mention. I had a disagreement with some of the HC's philosophies.

Unfortunately he seems to be "different" now. He seemed so much more focused when he was playing football. He just doesn't seem to want to do anything now. I don't mean I think he's going to go off the deep end. His grades are still fine. He just seems a little "lost".
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 10-22-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

That's too bad. My youngest had a concussion his second to last game of his 8th grade year.

Well, my son wants to play again, which I thought might happen once a little time passed. He's all signed up to play spring ball. The team he's going to play on is going to be running the spread and he's excited to play QB again.

I'm excited to see him play again as well.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

AW4M, I thought of your son and wondered how he was doing? My reason for thinking of your son is that my youngest, a sophomore this year, was told he is going to be training to be the backup QB for the JV squad (he's always played CB and WO). I'm not thrilled because he has no experience and it seems every QB Eagle River has had ends up with an injury and concussed......there are no good lineman to block and protect the QB. Christian has a positive attitude about it and is going to give the position a shot. For me, it's not the toughness, but what's beyond football after high school. He's leaning towards going into the military after high school. I know football is a contact sport and injuries are part of the game and I played in high school, but never a QB. They're out for punishment at ERHS

Anyway, I was wondering if your son decided to play this year at QB.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Your boy must be a good athlete if they want him to be a backup qb with no prior experience.

My boy is doing good. Spring ball was good for him to get his feet wet again. His confidence grew as the season went on.

He has been participating in the school's offseason program and did really well in the full contact scrimmage at the beginning of the summer and also did well in the 7 on 7 passing competition.

There is a new coaching staff at the school, which has provided a fresh start for him. It seems somewhat miraculous to me after him not playing last year. I wondered if he would get another shot at QB. Now he's the starting QB of the jv team and he's 3rd on the depth chart for varsity.

I'll post some highlights from spring league when I get back into town.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Nice, what year is he? forgive me if you already said.

He's going to be a sophomore. He'll turn 16 next month. Now he's up to 6'1" 175.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information