Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the greatest baseball player of all-time?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Default Who is the greatest baseball player of all-time?

(Barry Bonds is not an acceptable answer)

This one is easy, but people try to think too hard and they end up picking someone else. Remember your first gut instinct is always right.

The answer is Babe Ruth.

any disagreers? (is that a word?)

2. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Any player who DIDNT use steroids.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Mickey Mantle
    "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused!" Unknown

6. The Following User High Fived deacon For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deacon View Post
    Mickey Mantle
    I agree. Jackie Robinson is my favorite player even though I never watched him play live.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Since we immediately made this thread about steroids, let's just throw out there that steroids didn't make anyone a better baseball player, it only MAYBE allowed them to play longer. Considering that before steroids, players played 20 years, and hit over 700 home runs, I cannot say that steroids caused Barry Bonds to do what he did. I just can't.

And yes, there can be made an argument that Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player of all time.

As far as Ruth. He was a terrible outfielder, but still probably the best player of all time. I would say arguments could be made for Henry Aaron, Joe DiMaggio, Pete Rose, Mickey Mantle, Ty Cobb and Ted Williams.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Since we immediately made this thread about steroids, let's just throw out there that steroids didn't make anyone a better baseball player, it only MAYBE allowed them to play longer. .
    We all fully understand that one of the benefits of steroids is that it lets your body recover fast and heal fast. That said, Steroids most definitely helps your strength and power, and helps you build muscle mass faster and gives you the ability to work out harder and longer to tone those muscles into chiseled stone. Therefore, Steroids help you hit the balll much, much farther than you could normally do it. So, yes, indeed, steroids make you BETTER at sports, if you follow through and work out like you should.
    Barry Bonds, Canseco, Mcguire, Sosa, Ramirez and all the rest's numbers would be DRAMATICALLY pedestrian compared to the numbers they put up directly because of the drugs they were taking. And that is a fact. Also a fact. Barry bonds is not the greatest player of all time.

11. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    We all fully understand that one of the benefits of steroids is that it lets your body recover fast and heal fast. That said, Steroids most definitely helps your strength and power, and helps you build muscle mass faster and gives you the ability to work out harder and longer to tone those muscles into chiseled stone. Therefore, Steroids help you hit the balll much, much farther than you could normally do it. So, yes, indeed, steroids make you BETTER at sports, if you follow through and work out like you should.
    Barry Bonds, Canseco, Mcguire, Sosa, Ramirez and all the rest's numbers would be DRAMATICALLY pedestrian compared to the numbers they put up directly because of the drugs they were taking. And that is a fact. Also a fact. Barry bonds is not the greatest player of all time.
    I think the argument for Canseco, McGuire and Sosa having lesser numbers if they didn't take steroids may be correct, but of course we won't ever know...

Bonds was on his way to either breaking that record or being one of the best players/hitters ever BEFORE he started taking steroids.

There is no solid evidence to say Ramirez's numbers should really be in question. The guy can flat out hit. The tell-tale signs of steroid use just aren't there.

There's a lot of speculation in all of this. Obviously, Babe Ruth and Henry Aaron hit over 700 home runs without the use of steroids (we think), so why is it FACT that Bonds couldn't have done that without steroids?

Ken Griffey, Jr.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Juicer.

16. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

OB

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I concur that it is Ruth. He was a great pitcher before he was a great hitter yet he still set records far and away beyond anyone else for his time. He outhomered entire teams. He sold tickets and he saved the sport from the Black Sox scandal. There are only two athletes I think that even come close to Ruth's dominance of a sport - Muhammad Ali and Wayne Gretzky.

It was fortunate for him that Ruth played in a time when the media was not as pervasive and not as inclined to dig into a player's personal life as they are today. I think if Ruth were a Yankee in this era, he'd be treated little differently than A-Rod or Clemens.

Oh, and before anyone starts with that "yeah, but Ruth never had to face the top black pitchers of his day", let me ask you how many black pitchers of the 20s and 30s are in the Hall of Fame, even after all the revisionism of various committees to put more blacks from that era in the Hall? Great black pitchers largely did not exist in the Negro Leagues.

But then factor in things like an entire season of day games, train travel between cities, doctored pitches still legal, etc. that today's stars don't encounter and I think it balances out any alleged lack of black pitching talent in Ruth's time.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Pete Rose.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Oh, and before anyone starts with that "yeah, but Ruth never had to face the top black pitchers of his day", let me ask you how many black pitchers of the 20s and 30s are in the Hall of Fame, even after all the revisionism of various committees to put more blacks from that era in the Hall? Great black pitchers largely did not exist in the Negro Leagues.
    Ever hear of Satchel Paige?

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Larry Walker in 1997.

Walker's career season came in 1997, when he hit .366 with 49 home runs, 130 RBI, 33 stolen bases, and 409 total bases, en route to becoming the first Canadian player to win the MVP Award.

In 1998, Walker won the Lou Marsh Trophy as Canadian athlete of the year after finishing runner-up the previous year to Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve.

Combined with 12 outfield assists, the season remains one of the finest all around performances in recent baseball history. Even more impressively, Walker's breakout season came just one year after various injuries limited him to 83 games and 272 at-bats, although the NL Comeback Player of the Year award went to Darren Daulton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walker#Career_Season
    I used to like baseball, now it bores the hell out of me. I can't even make it through one inning.

Nolan Ryan.
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Ted Williams. Great ballplayer and even greater patriot.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information