Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So you want to talk about pick value?

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Default So you want to talk about pick value?

Ok can we get this out of the way once and for all? I like many others was pissed when I saw us trading back for 4th rounders and position, but there is a simple truth in any market. Value is established by comparable sales ie trades and value is ultimately determined by the buyer not the seller. Last night the value of trading back was established early in the process. You watched multiple teams move back from very high slots in the 1st for 4th rounders. We can complain about it all we like, but the market dictated the value of the picks last night. Don't like it? It doesn't matter it's freshman level economics. And would someone please torch the antiquated pick value chart? If you choose to use said chart as the basis for your argument, your point is already invalid as the new cba has made it irrelevant.

Wanna complain about the picks when they're made? fine, but if there was no one at our slot that we loved and we gained more currency to move around on days two and three by moving out of said slot then mission effing accomplished. As John said. The draft is deep but not at all top heavy, hence the picks in the 2nd third and 4th may hold more value and they don't get guaranteed money

2. The Following 11 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I can't help but feel like we were left clinging to an old draft paradigm. We had it in our heads that we wanted to move back to gain value, and I feel like we ended up losing value as a result.

It used to be that all the smart money acquired picks on day 2 because the salaries were exorbitant on day 1. Now it feels like the smart money will acquire first round picks because it's not cost prohibitive.

I don't know - these guys obviously have a much better feel for their draft board. But I was not crazy about the second trade with the Bucs especially. We didn't even pick up an extra pick.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

but we gained 25 slots in the 4th. I didn't love that trade but I'll live with it. We'll hear over and over about the Baltimore deal but let's face it. Newsome is one of best in the biz. I still think overall the value we got was pretty much fair market.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    but we gained 25 slots in the 4th. I didn't love that trade but I'll live with it. We'll hear over and over about the Baltimore deal but let's face it. Newsome is one of best in the biz. I still think overall the value we got was pretty much fair market.
    Elway said in his press conference that teams moving back were losing value (I think he meant relative to previous years). But as Vic Lombardi tweeted last night - why move back if that's the case? It just seems like we had our minds made up that we were going to move back, regardless of value.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I have a feeling this is all about Osweiler. I think Elway wants to draft him badly but didn't want to do it in the first but also knew he wouldn't be there with our original 2nd. Do not be surprised at all to see Osweiler's name called with that early 2nd round pick of ours.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Quan Cosby

if they draft osweiller or that tight end im going to kill myself

I understand trading down but why trade down when all you can get is late 4th round picks? lmao, yesterday just made it apparent that this is the same old team doing the same old things at the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

I think we are all so used to looking at the "trade value chart".. and forget that's pretty much out the window now. I think Buff has some good points that it seems that moving UP is not more reasonable, thus may have more value. But the "chart" that gives a reference point as to the 'value' of a pick.....is obsolete now. They either need to come up with a new chart, or come up with a new system.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    I understand trading down but why trade down when all you can get is late 4th round picks? lmao, yesterday just made it apparent that this is the same old team doing the same old things at the draft.
    there is huge value in this draft from rounds 2 through 4. Those 3 4th rounders are essentially currency. As guys begin to fall we can either use them to move up, fill our coffers ie draft talented players like Doom and Marshall who happen to slide, or trade them for future higher picks.

13. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by hotcarl View Post
    if they draft osweiller or that tight end im going to kill myself
    God I hope they draft Osweiler or that TE.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

damn, people get way too worked up debating whether or not the broncos "win" draft day trades.

case in point, people are still pissed about the picks given up to get tebow; despite the fact he made the team relevant again and brought in MAJOR cash flow to the team's operations. given those two things, that trade was worth every pick they gave up (plus, essentially, the tebow trade allowed the broncos to get manning. big bonus).

there's more to this than getting the "appropriate" return on draft day trades. as long as these trades net player production or victories, who cares what was given up.

Moving up and down is completely irrelevant when comparing it to the person the team actually drafted after making the trades and seeing how it turns out on the field.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

I don't get why we can't just SIT their and draft BPA with focus on need. The Steelers never move up and down the draft the Giants don't do it the Pack don't do it. All the solid teams sit their and pick THEIR GUY.

But like I have said before. EFX knows what they are doing. Last year they hit a HOMER with Miller instead of Dareus (the pick I wanted). So i'm no one to talk. I just hope this is all worth it. I don't want to see a QB or a TE because Manning should be here for a couple of years at least and we signed 2 Te in FA already so..I kind of want us to get the RB from Oregon.
    Back 2 Back Patches on my jacket/ Orange Zippers
    Super Bowl 50 witness

2019 Broncos Pick’em Champion
    2021 Broncos Pick’em Champion

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BORDERLINE View Post
    I don't get why we can't just SIT their and draft BPA with focus on need. The Steelers never move up and down the draft the Giants don't do it the Pack don't do it. All the solid teams sit their and pick THEIR GUY.

But like I have said before. EFX knows what they are doing. Last year they hit a HOMER with Miller instead of Dareus (the pick I wanted). So i'm no one to talk. I just hope this is all worth it. I don't want to see a QB or a TE because Manning should be here for a couple of years at least and we signed 2 Te in FA already so..I kind of want us to get the RB from Oregon.
    The pats trade draft picks ALLLLL the time. But I guess they aren't a solid franchise, huh?

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

End of the day, all that matters is that the players they draft are performers.

22. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information