Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QB fight nothing new for Orton

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Default QB fight nothing new for Orton

Denver Post

Kyle Orton is here and Mark Sanchez is not.

Instead of a franchise quarterback, the Broncos took a franchise running back in Knowshon Moreno. Call draft day a win-win for Orton.

"There's no question about it, a good running game is the best friend for a quarterback," Orton said. "We've got a good group of running backs and Knowshon should fit in well."

The veteran Orton is attending the Broncos' rookie minicamp this weekend while the rookie Sanchez is nowhere near Dove Valley.

The Broncos thought about taking Sanchez, a pro-polished quarterback from USC, with their first pick in the NFL draft. They even flew to Los Angeles to give Sanchez a private workout five days before the draft, and discussed the possibility of moving up as many as four spots from their No. 12 overall pick.

Rather quickly, the Broncos decided it would be too costly to move up in the draft, and as it turned out, they weren't going to get Sanchez. He went to the New York Jets with the far-too-pricey No. 5 pick, and the Broncos stayed still at No. 12 and took Moreno.

"Oh, yeah, you hear about it, but like I said before, you're going to compete for your job every year," said Orton, the most likely candidate to replace Jay Cutler as the Broncos' starting quarterback this year. "And I don't have a problem competing."

Most teams hold three minicamps during the offseason. Orton will participate in five. He had one with the Chicago Bears before he was dealt March 2 to the Broncos in the Cutler trade and will participate in four with the Broncos, who were granted an additional minicamp because McDaniels is a first-year coach.

Better believe Orton will receive his $100,000 workout bonus this offseason.

"He threw himself into the playbook," McDaniels said. "I don't know what time he's leaving here (tonight), but I know it's not early."

To be clear, Orton isn't proclaiming himself the starting quarterback, only that he's competing for the position with another veteran, Chris Simms. McDaniels says this, too, although Simms is the underdog after essentially not playing the past three seasons.

The Broncos wound up drafting a quarterback last weekend, but not until the sixth round, where they selected the raw but promising Tom Brandstater from Fresno State. For his rookie season, Brandstater will be asked to perform two functions: observe and absorb.

At least he didn't spend his first day Friday getting the rookie treatment from Orton or Simms.

"They could easily not help me at all, but they've taken a liking to me, I hope, and they've been helping me, and I'm appreciative of that," Brandstater said. "And when I mess up on the field, they give me the corrections in a nice way."

Brandstater will not present the threat Sanchez would have posed, not that Orton would have been inexperienced in such a situation. In 2005, Orton won 10 games, more than any rookie quarterback since the 1970 merger except for Ben Roethlisberger's 14 wins in 2004. Yet Orton was yanked as the starter before the 2005 playoffs.

By 2007, Orton was behind both Rex Grossman and Brian Griese and was so lightly regarded the Bears planned to replace him as the No. 3 quarterback by drafting Florida's Chris Leak.

"Didn't bother me at all," Orton said.

Orton outplayed Leak in the preseason, and by the end of 2007, the Bears reached an epiphany: There was something about Orton. He has been starting since.

Sanchez? Even if he had been drafted by the Broncos, no one should have been surprised if he spent his rookie season watching Orton play.

"I've certainly been through a lot the first four years of my career, but I'm excited to be here," Orton said. "I think I've done a lot of good things in this league and a lot more good things to go."
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Den21vsBal19 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

I love Orton's attitude. I hope that he really get's things together and proves that he can be a franchise QB. You never know. Nobody thought Brady would be a franchise QB in the beginning.

I am a firm believer that with the right coaching he can succeed.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Dirk For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by SWMoBroncosFan View Post
    I love Orton's attitude. I hope that he really get's things together and proves that he can be a franchise QB. You never know. Nobody thought Brady would be a franchise QB in the beginning.

I am a firm believer that with the right coaching he can succeed.
    Absolutely no reason why he can't be a success here, which is why Moreno was a good signing..............if he can shoulder some of the load, along with whichever backs also make the cut, Orton seems to be smart enough, and have enough mental toughness, to do his part of the puzzle.
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived Den21vsBal19 For This Post:

QB fight nothing new for Orton
    Journeyman players are used to fighting for a roster spot every year. Of course it's not new for Orton.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Scarface For This Post:

Unfortunatly, he lost those fights to both Grossman and Griese.

But he does have a good attitude.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

I would be surprised if he doesn't flourish as the leader of our monster offense. He had decent numbers in Chicago and is coming to a much better situation, if he doesn't come out and have 3,500 yards 20 touchdowns then he must be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Unfortunatly, he lost those fights to both Grossman and Griese.

But he does have a good attitude.
    And nether Grossman or Griese did any better. The Bears just pay very little attention to offense, almost a mirror image of Shanahan's Broncos. Orton is now on an offense oriented team and has some real weapons to work with. I think he will be more productive in Denver then in Chicago just because of the circumstances. For the Broncos sake I hope he does well.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hobe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Sexy Rexy was a first round pick. That battle was over before it started. Orton started as a rookie 4th round pick and got the team to the playoffs. When he got the chance to start again last year, he played very well again.
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived honz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    Sexy Rexy was a first round pick. That battle was over before it started. Orton started as a rookie 4th round pick and got the team to the playoffs. When he got the chance to start again last year, he played very well again.

Good insight..

Anyway I can't remember but one QB that the fans of the bears liked and that was Jim Mc.. before that maybe Sid Luckman..

The bears have always been a Defensive minded team.. or run first type..

The fans are used to it and eat QB's for High tea....

HE has to be feel like one of the luckiest men alive..

And a comment was made about Brady not being a franchise QB before being MADE one.. RIGHT ON..

franchise QB's are not all #1 draft choices.. Mostly but not all in fact there are more #1 round journeyman QB's out than franchise QB's.....

16. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Did he get the team to the playoffs or was it the defense? I'll answer my own question. It was the defense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Andra Davis

Yep I can't express how excited I'm that we trade a franchise QB away and will be looking for the next Brady for 10 years or so.
    I knew a man a long long time but I never knew him at all. Small in stature, big at heart but he always stood tall. In my mind he could do no wrong misunderstood all along. He worked hard all his live to get what he had. He was a little rough around the edges simple in mind but always had a kind eye for me. I will miss you Dad.

Gem's Yardog.

19. The Following User High Fived yardog For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yardog View Post
    Yep I can't express how excited I'm that we trade a franchise QB away and will be looking for the next Brady for 10 years or so.
    And How do you KNOW that we do not have the perfect guy right NOW..

For that matter how do YOU KNOW jay was a franchise QB from reading the press?

just because someone is drafted in the first round doth not make him a franchise player.. Is he good? SURE when his head is in the game..

Most franchise QBs do not have 130+ ratings and sub 50's in one year..

And frankly that is all we saw of jay ONE good between the 20's year/ears..
    Last edited by Lonestar; 05-02-2009 at 05:27 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The battle was over because Grossman was injuredm even so he started the last two games of the 2005 season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Not interested in Orton. I am more interested in Tom Brandstater. He could surprise us.

24. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andra Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    And How do you KNOW that we do not have the perfect guy right NOW..

For that matter how do YOU KNOW jay was a franchise QB from reading the press?

just because someone is drafted in the first round doth not make him a franchise player.. Is he good? SURE when his head is in the game..

Most franchise QBs do not have 130+ ratings and sub 50's in one year..

And frankly that is all we saw of jay ONE good between the 20's year/ears..

Only time will tell. We will see how it works out.
    I knew a man a long long time but I never knew him at all. Small in stature, big at heart but he always stood tall. In my mind he could do no wrong misunderstood all along. He worked hard all his live to get what he had. He was a little rough around the edges simple in mind but always had a kind eye for me. I will miss you Dad.

Gem's Yardog.

26. The Following User High Fived yardog For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information