Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft Groupthink

Default Draft Groupthink

Did you hear the one about the NFL team which “reached” for a player to fill a need? That’s a no-no, picking for need. You should be drafting the best player available (hereafter BPA), regardless of need, goes the story. I reject that thought as being over-generalized, because if you have a bad team, you should be picking to fill roles that will allow you to be competitive.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...aft-groupthink

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived NorCalBronco7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Good article. His last words pretty much summed it all up.

I’m not going to praise or rip the Broncos’ draft activities with any kind of conviction, because there’s no point in doing so. I loved the Wolfe pick, and I pretty much hated the Brock Osweiler pick, as I’m sure many of you gathered on Friday. I’m not so invested in being right that I’m rooting for Osweiler to fail, though. I want all Broncos to be successful, and I want the team’s decision makers to have been right in what they did. The thing is, only time will tell if they were.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sly Williams

favorite tid-bit:

"When you point out that Derek Wolfe wasn’t in Jeff Legwold’s Top 100 players, and that the Broncos took him 36th overall, that doesn’t necessarily point to a bad move by the Broncos; much more likely, it points to Legwold’s half-assedness, and noted lack of any real football acumen. "

6. The Following 7 Users High Fived SoCalImport For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

A lot of people on this forum should read that article.
    Merry.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

no pick at 25.
    no pick at 31.
    "nobody we liked'

thats a huge pile of horseshit !

makes absolutely no sense to me when there were so many needs to fill.
    GLARING when you consider the players taken in those spots were BOTH positions of NEED for the broncos and the teams that made those selections have been unanimously praised for doing so.
    Last edited by Chef Zambini; 05-01-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    A lot of people on this forum should read that article.
    bravo on yopur goal to bike 4000 miles! are you watching thew spring classics?

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    bravo on yopur goal to bike 4000 miles! are you watching thew spring classics?
    No, I am playing on the computer while recovering from a double hernia operation at the moment. I still hope to reach my goal though.
    Merry.

12. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

maybe the broncos can justify who they selected, I hope they got it right !
    but I find it hard to justify passing up the players they had a chance at, HIGHTOWER and doug Martin (boise state)
    ...and the fixation on osweiler was all aboput ELWAY, so I hope he got that one right too, but for now its hard for me to swallow that this kid was worth our second pick overall.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    No, I am playing on the computer while recovering from a double hernia operation at the moment. I still hope to reach my goal though.
    I asked if you were WATCHING the classics, not riding in them !
    I wish you good health, a spedy recovery and best of luck in acheiving your goals.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

but I find it hard to justify passing up the players they had a chance at, HIGHTOWER and doug Martin (boise state)
    ...and the fixation on osweiler was all aboput ELWAY, so I hope he got that one right too, but for now its hard for me to swallow that this kid was worth our second pick overall.
    I wanted Hightower more than the next guy...but don't ya hink that passing on him might just say sumthin about what they think of Irving? WE wanted Hightower, but maybe...just maybe...EFX feel they already have their MLB...but not their pass rushing DT.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

no pick at 25.
    no pick at 31.
    "nobody we liked'

GLARING when you consider the players taken in those spots were BOTH positions of NEED for the broncos and the teams that made those selections have been unanimously praised for doing so.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

great article...i love that site

20. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

I asked if you were WATCHING the classics, not riding in them !
    I wish you good health, a spedy recovery and best of luck in acheiving your goals.
    I can read. Thanks for the wishes.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I tend to think that TJ is on it, with his speculation about the nature of the 4-3 we’ll see. But the fact remains that this is the only Broncos website that has any in-house writers with real scheme knowledge, and who could therefore even begin to hazard a realistic guess.
    Really? The only Broncos website that has any in-house writers with "real scheme knowledge", huh? Get over yourself, junior. Just because you read "football for dummies" and coached Pop Warner doesn't make you an expert.

IAOFM is just another blog site by a couple of fans. These guys have, of late, begun writing as if they are the only ones smart enough to understand football schemes, players, coaches, and how the front office works and hence the only ones qualified to give fan's opinions about them. They are starting to remind me of The Reverend when he came over here and told everyone how smart and awesome he was as much as he could and that anyone who disagreed with him was dumb for whatever reason.

I find that it you really are the smartest guy in the room, or in this case the only one with "real scheme knowledge", you don't have to tell people. I'm under the impression that if these guy really knew as much as they think they do, they'd probably work for the NFL. Some of their articles are entertaining or make a good point or two, but this writer is going to have a super awesome time shoving his foot in his mouth at light speed if Wolfe doesn't pan out and the other DTs rated higher actually do.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

no pick at 25.
    no pick at 31.
    "nobody we liked'

Zam, you give stubbornness a new meaning . . .

24. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information