Thread: 10/21- The Night Denver Showed Some Promise...How Does It Change Draft Needs?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Default 10/21- The Night Denver Showed Some Promise...How Does It Change Draft Needs?

OK, there was a lot of good out there tonight but we also had to commit a ton of guys to the LOS. Still, there were some guys who have been on the spot that were impressive. And one guy who was on the spot because of Champs injury was Foxworth. So then, does tonight alter your outlook towards the draft? If so, in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    OK, there was a lot of good out there tonight but we also had to commit a ton of guys to the LOS. Still, there were some guys who have been on the spot that were impressive. And one guy who was on the spot because of Champs injury was Foxworth. So then, does tonight alter your outlook towards the draft? If so, in what way?
    If Denver keeps Bates around, it's a given that we're going to still try and do what he wants to do because when it gets down, we've seen how Green Bay has benefited from it. We just lack a few players (LB, DT and a future safety) to make it work. Even with an improved defensive performance, those spots still need to have players added.

Our offense is going to struggle a ton if Henry gets suspended because Young is not the answer. If he is suspended, RB is a Day One priority for the team.

Still think we should add another receiver somewhere, and some offensive line help would really help. We're doing good at giving Cutler time, but we could use some tackle depth, or a starter for the future. Getting a guy you and I both like Zuttah, would make me feel even better too.

I'd still say that getting a LB and DT would make the most sense. Preferably a linebacker in a strong draft, and perhaps a guy like Haynesworth in FA. Pending the changes to our defense, a Day 1 DT would be nice, but any fourth or fifth round choice would be better than most of who we have now.

(Took a break for several hours. . .)

Sorry all, job duty called me. Saved a life tonight. Sorry if my thoughts above are a little incoherent. Still pretty shook-up over what happened, but yeah.

Good night.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    If Denver keeps Bates around, it's a given that we're going to still try and do what he wants to do because when it gets down, we've seen how Green Bay has benefited from it. We just lack a few players (LB, DT and a future safety) to make it work. Even with an improved defensive performance, those spots still need to have players added.
    Yeah, but which LB is kind of the question. I had been thinking the emphasis should be on ILB but now Im not so sure. Theres a lot of football left but DJ finally looked decent last night. Also, in another thread I had made the point that our run defense is so poor, its hard to know how good or bad other things are, like pass rush...and after last night, Safety looked like a more glaring need.

Our offense is going to struggle a ton if Henry gets suspended because Young is not the answer. If he is suspended, RB is a Day One priority for the team.
    I agree. If McFadden is there around 7-8 we should make a move to get him.

Still think we should add another receiver somewhere, and some offensive line help would really help. We're doing good at giving Cutler time, but we could use some tackle depth, or a starter for the future. Getting a guy you and I both like Zuttah, would make me feel even better too.
    I think they should go after Faneca. Especially if theyre going to get a back on day one, which I think they should. I dont know about anyone else but Im sick of not punching it in inside the 5.

I'd still say that getting a LB and DT would make the most sense. Preferably a linebacker in a strong draft, and perhaps a guy like Haynesworth in FA. Pending the changes to our defense, a Day 1 DT would be nice, but any fourth or fifth round choice would be better than most of who we have now.
    If we get a LB in Rd 1, I hope we trade down a few picks.

we still have a glaring need at DT still could not get consistent pressure on the QB with out the blitz and stopping the run well that did not happen when we needed to.

Highest priorities seem to be DT DT and FS.

DE seem to be filled with really promising rookies and kiddies.

LB seems to be good expect for gold

CB is great

RB not early on but second day choice just because Mikey always does.

QB WR and TE are all filled with promising players.

OLINE looks like unless there is a melt down to be populated with the next generation of Gibbs types

OH we could use a REAL GM..

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    we still have a glaring need at DT still could not get consistent pressure on the QB with out the blitz and stopping the run well that did not happen when we needed to.
    We dont need a DT for pass rush. We need one for run defense. If our DEs improve significantly in year 2, which is not at all out of the question, then it would be wasteful to get a DT with pass rush in mind. Again, teams have been so content running the ball on us, that we really didnt know what we had/have in a pass rush.

Highest priorities seem to be DT DT and FS.
    FS is not something thats really going to be addressed this year unless we're lucky and we draft someone who plays well beyond expectations. This is a really down year for a Safety.

DE seem to be filled with really promising rookies and kiddies.
    Agreed, see above.

LB seems to be good expect for gold
    No, we could stand to get a couple of LBs one with the idea that he will start and the other who will have the opportunity to compete with Webster.

CB is great

RB not early on but second day choice just because Mikey always does.

QB WR and TE are all filled with promising players.

OLINE looks like unless there is a melt down to be populated with the next generation of Gibbs types

OH we could use a REAL GM..
    Zuttah has too much value to pass up in Rd 4 or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    We dont need a DT for pass rush. We need one for run defense. If our DEs improve significantly in year 2, which is not at all out of the question, then it would be wasteful to get a DT with pass rush in mind. Again, teams have been so content running the ball on us, that we really didnt know what we had/have in a pass rush.

FS is not something thats really going to be addressed this year unless we're lucky and we draft someone who plays well beyond expectations. This is a really down year for a Safety.

Agreed, see above.

No, we could stand to get a couple of LBs one with the idea that he will start and the other who will have the opportunity to compete with Webster.

CB is great

Zuttah has too much value to pass up in Rd 4 or 5.
    DT in Bates system is there to clog and eat bodies if they can take on 2-3 OLINE guys it frees up DE and LB's to get at the QB. SO fro all intents and purposes while not passing DT someone that can help and occasionally get after the QB if someone is stupid and does not double them.

Having the DT push the OLINE back into the QB causes havoc also. Flushes them out for others to get...

Now if a top notch FS came along and we had a chance after finding 2 DT's well now I'd take that over a primadonna RB any day..

Yeah, but which LB is kind of the question. I had been thinking the emphasis should be on ILB but now Im not so sure. Theres a lot of football left but DJ finally looked decent last night. Also, in another thread I had made the point that our run defense is so poor, its hard to know how good or bad other things are, like pass rush...and after last night, Safety looked like a more glaring need.
    I would still go after a middle linebacker. Sure, Williams looked better than ever, but my biggest point is that he would maybe look twice as good on the outside.
    On the other hand, if we could get someone like Dan Connor I think that would sort of solve the problem. As I see it he could be a very good middle linebacker, though I would not put him their at first. I think he is too young to start leading a team, which is one thing I am looking for in a middle linebacker. But Connor is a prototype ballhawk and with time he could develope into a really great linebacker, and a leader.

I think they should go after Faneca. Especially if theyre going to get a back on day one, which I think they should. I dont know about anyone else but Im sick of not punching it in inside the 5.
    I think Faneca is nearly destined for Arizona. He spoke very ill off the decision to not make Whisenhunt their head coach and to let Russ Grimm follow him. One of the things he said by that time were, that sometime he would play for those two again.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information