Thread: IDing the "Mike" Linebacker

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Default IDing the "Mike" Linebacker

What's the purpose of the QB verbally IDing the "Mike" linebacker? Is this so the center can call the right protection or blocking???

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Default IDing the "Mike" Linebacker

Yeah, I think it's mostly a protection adjustment.

3. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Yes, MS is right. It's for the OL and the backs to set the protection/blocking scheme.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If the middle linebacker is in the middle of the formation, the quarterback (or the center) is asking for a pretty straight up blocking scheme, and expecting a pretty straight up rush, i.e., no blitzes. If he shifts who the "middle linebacker" is (it's not always the actual middle linebacker) then that's where he's expecting a blitz to come from, unless the center hot reads a different blitz read. You can see the basics of it if you watch the last two games, because he typically is communicating with Moreno who to block, and that's after the "mike" shift. He's doing that because Moreno doesn't have many reps doing it (it happens, but less, with McGahee).

Once they've identified the "mike" it's then a numbers game.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    If the middle linebacker is in the middle of the formation, the quarterback (or the center) is asking for a pretty straight up blocking scheme, and expecting a pretty straight up rush, i.e., no blitzes. If he shifts who the "middle linebacker" is (it's not always the actual middle linebacker) then that's where he's expecting a blitz to come from, unless the center hot reads a different blitz read. You can see the basics of it if you watch the last two games, because he typically is communicating with Moreno who to block, and that's after the "mike" shift. He's doing that because Moreno doesn't have many reps doing it (it happens, but less, with McGahee).

Once they've identified the "mike" it's then a numbers game.
    Well that was rather wordy, choppy and unnecessary.

What Mo is trying to say is when a QB identifies the mike linebacker he is mainly doing it for the center and RB so they're not late identifying their assignment. The Guards and tackles generally know who their responsible for. They have the bigs. Identifying the mike is telling the center and guard who is left to block.

7. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    Well that was rather wordy, choppy and unnecessary.

What Mo is trying to say is when a QB identifies the mike linebacker he is mainly doing it for the center and RB so they're not late identifying their assignment. The Guards and tackles generally know who their responsible for. They have the bigs. Identifying the mike is telling the center and guard who is left to block.
    Um. No. But go ahead.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Um. No. But go ahead.
    You would be a pretty good mike linebacker. The QB would never find you.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information