Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you attempt a 101 yard field goal, and you miss it, is it a safety?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Default If you attempt a 101 yard field goal, and you miss it, is it a safety?

edit: I mean 111 yard field goal.

edit: no i think i mean 101 yard field goal? Yeah I think so......or not?

edit: No I definitely mean a 111 yard field goal.
    Last edited by sneakers; 08-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

That's an interesting question. I guess one sure way of knowing is to try it on Madden and see what happens.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

i think you have to kick it out of bounds for that to happen, because players can catch a short kick and run it back.

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

I think it's time to ease off the "medication".

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    I think it's time to ease off the "medication".
    That's just Sneak being Sneak.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That's a good question sneaks. I would imagine the answer is yes.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    i think you have to kick it out of bounds for that to happen, because players can catch a short kick and run it back.
    but if it would be a safety, would you put someone back there to return it or take the guaranteed 2 points?

9. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That's a good question sneaks. I would imagine the answer is yes.
    I have to agree, because when you miss a FG, the other team gets the ball from the spot it was kicked. Since that spot would have been in the endzone, you can't give them the ball there, so I think it has to be a safety.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

So you are kicking it from inside your own endzone? I would guess that if you miss as it goes short, the ball is live as it lays on the field. If a player from the defense picks it up first, he can run it back for a TD (if not tackled). If a player from the kicking team gets to the ball laying first, its a dead ball, and the ball would then be spotted on the kicking team's 20 yrd line. If the defense catches the ball, or picks it up from the ground, and then attempts to return it...the ball is placed at the spot of the downed ball (or tackle).
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I have to agree, because when you miss a FG, the other team gets the ball from the spot it was kicked. Since that spot would have been in the endzone, you can't give them the ball there, so I think it has to be a safety.
    But that's only if the ball goes through the back of the endzone. The reason a FG is returnable, is because it stays within play. Its and offensive play, not much different than a punt. The reason its placed from where the kick was attempted is because that would be the new LoS the moment the ball is placed on the spot. HOwever, once its kicked, its a live ball as long as it stays in bounds (which is why a blocked kick can be returned for a TD as well).
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    So you are kicking it from inside your own endzone? I would guess that if you miss as it goes short, the ball is live as it lays on the field. If a player from the defense picks it up first, he can run it back for a TD (if not tackled). If a player from the kicking team gets to the ball laying first, its a dead ball, and the ball would then be spotted on the kicking team's 20 yrd line. If the defense catches the ball, or picks it up from the ground, and then attempts to return it...the ball is placed at the spot of the downed ball (or tackle).
    So the rule made famous by Leon Lett takes over. That actually makes the most sense.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

But that's only if the ball goes through the back of the endzone. The reason a FG is returnable, is because it stays within play. Its and offensive play, not much different than a punt. The reason its placed from where the kick was attempted is because that would be the new LoS the moment the ball is placed on the spot. HOwever, once its kicked, its a live ball as long as it stays in bounds (which is why a blocked kick can be returned for a TD as well).
    exactly what I was trying to say.... unless the kicker can actually get it out of bounds its live

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The 20 yard line rule only applies if the ball is kicked from inside the 20 yard line if I'm reading it correctly. If kicked from outside the 20 and the defensive team doesn't touch the ball, it becomes a dead ball and they get it from the spot the ball was kicked.

This is the rule:

Article 2 Missed Field Goals. If there is a missed field-goal attempt, and the ball has not been touched
    by the receivers beyond the line in the field of play, the following shall apply:
    (a) If the spot of the kick was inside the receivers’ 20-yard line, it is the receivers’ ball at the 20-yard line or
    (b) If the spot of the kick was from the receivers’ 20-yard line or beyond the receivers’ 20-yard line, it is the
    receivers’ ball at the spot of the kick.

It would be if it were blocked and recovered in the endzone.

Assuming the ball goes forward and stays in bounds, it is a live ball and can be returned. See Chris McAlister vs Broncos late in Shanahan era!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    exactly what I was trying to say.... unless the kicker can actually get it out of bounds its live
    From my interpretation it only becomes live if the receiving team touches it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information