Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Walterfootball's six rd mock draft/all teams

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I could be wrong as i never watched as USC game. But everyone says rey is overrated because their defense was soo good. And it was the talent of the other players that made him shine.

I read in different opinions of 'draft gurus' that Brace had done the same thing for Raji.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I could be wrong as i never watched as USC game. But everyone says rey is overrated because their defense was soo good. And it was the talent of the other players that made him shine.

Why wouldnt it be the reverse? Why wouldnt it be that because rey was so good he made the other LB around him better. Before the year ended i hadnt even heard of half these guys. Mathews,english,sintim,mayben, cushing etc. Then all of a sudden they are all top 20 (maybe they were before) but rey is no longer?

Somehwere i read a quote that said they would send rey out like a heat skeaking missile to redirect the RB back to the heart of the defense so the other LB had time to make a play and a tackle.

To mee it seems like the other LB were mop up duty. Rey does the dirty work and those guys mop up what he didnt get.....

Just a thought, like i said i never watched a USC game.
    It always works that way when a player returns for his senior year. If Rey and JL had come out last year, they both probably would have been top 20 picks. Suddenly they arent that good.

Mark my words. When Spikes is available next year, people will push him down to being a late first round guy.

People read too much stuff and dont watch enough. Every year there are teams down-playing a players value and skills. They do that for a reason. All I can say is watch some USC video and see what Rey does. Even on the plays where Cushing and Matthews and Maiava are making the plays...watch what Rey is doing to help that.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosBlitz View Post
    I read in different opinions of 'draft gurus' that Brace had done the same thing for Raji.
    I'll have to disagree with that one. But I will say that Raji is more of a one gap guy than Brace is and why I think Brace would be better suited for a 3-4 than Raji would.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I'll have to disagree with that one. But I will say that Raji is more of a one gap guy than Brace is and why I think Brace would be better suited for a 3-4 than Raji would.
    I haven't watched BC to know but it's a notion that some analysts or opionists have said!!

7. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosBlitz View Post
    I haven't watched BC to know but it's a notion that some analysts or opionists have said!!
    Probably the same guys that said McCargo and Lawson were the reason for Mario Williams success.

but sometimes it does work out where no one is good. Haynes and Kennedy were monsters at PSU. Niether one of them could play worth a damn apart from each other.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

It always works that way when a player returns for his senior year. If Rey and JL had come out last year, they both probably would have been top 20 picks. Suddenly they arent that good.

Mark my words. When Spikes is available next year, people will push him down to being a late first round guy.

People read too much stuff and dont watch enough. Every year there are teams down-playing a players value and skills. They do that for a reason. All I can say is watch some USC video and see what Rey does. Even on the plays where Cushing and Matthews and Maiava are making the plays...watch what Rey is doing to help that.
    I saw plenty games that displayed Rey's overpursuit and sluggish speed. The reason he has dropped is because his physical skillset has been shown to be not elite through the combine, pro day, and scouts have started watching more tape on him. It's the same reason Laurinaitis has dropped to the second round after being an all american college player.

Like I said, Rey is a good player, but he is not top 15 good.

What's funny to me is that people have been complaining about our Dline for the past 5+ years...about how you build a defense from the trenches back. Now people are saying you dont spend a top pick on an elite 5-technique. It doesn't make sense to me. Jackson will anchor the left side of our d-line for years and years. He is a top 10 player on most big boards and he would provide solid value at 12.

Rey has been quoted himself as saying he is not great in coverage and many scouts believe he may end up a 2-down backer in the NFL. I think his coverage skills are average, but I believe he will be a 3-down backer in the league. He will be a solid player, but I do not believe in reaching for players to prevent other teams from taking them. Maybe if we were the Patriots or Giants...but The Denver Broncos should be focusing on the Denver Broncos, not the Chargers.

My only problem is I think DL is a greater need for us. I would not be opposed to taking Rey at 18, but to take take him at 12 (which I believe is a reach) just because you think SD MIGHT take him is not smart at all. I would rather lock down the DL - the guys who are going to open gaps for the LBs - and build back from there.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Let me just add that if Denver takes him at 12 because they feel he is the best player there and will be an elite player in Denver, then I am fine with that.

I have a problem with us taking him just to keep him out of SD. We are not in a position to take players so we don't have to face them in the future. That is all I am saying.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I don't believe teams draft guys just to play keep-away. I just don't see it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Who ever said they wanted to draft Rey just for that reason though? that the chargers would not get him? We said that would be an added bonus, i'd way rather take the chance of getting Tyson Jackson at 18, and if he's not there lets take Jarron Gilbert in the second i like him just as much as jackson. if gilbert isn't there, lets take Fili Moala, i'm sure he will be there
    Wishlist -
    Rey Maualuga (that right Lynch?)
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived bullis26 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

people really do underestimate versatility, both nolan and MCD stated its paramount for what they want to do. what versatility does rey bring???? he will be a 2 down LB in the pro's how is that really worth rd 1 money a guy that cant even play all downs.....heck he cant even play mike in our hybrid becasue of his crappy coverage ability, which means he cant play SLB in the 4-3 either to stick with TE's and he certainly wont be a WLB. so his only value is for a direct 3-4 as a 2 down thumper. He brings us no versatility at all.

tyson jackson.... oh thats right he can play 3-4 LDE and dominate against the run where we sucked for the last 3 years. but wait he can also lock down power end in 4-3 looks becasue he is so dominant against the run. oh wait he can also pay DT if he has to in the 4-3 becasue of his size and POA and run stuffing capability. while he wont be a elite pass rusher, he will give us a guy that can shut down the run at a possible 3 different positions in a hybrid or straight 3-4 looks.....i will take that versatility any day of the week on the DL over a 2 down LB, especially since its the DL that makes the LB's job easier to begin with.
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 04-22-2009 at 01:43 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I like Rey, but I know we need Jackson. I'd prefer taking Rey first and seeing if Jackson is there at 18. If not...we go another direction. My biggest fear with passing on Rey is having SD pick him up and having to face him and Merriman on the same defense.
    I would much rather SD see Rey in our defense, i.e., in their offensive backfield . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

19. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    I saw plenty games that displayed Rey's overpursuit and sluggish speed. The reason he has dropped is because his physical skillset has been shown to be not elite through the combine, pro day, and scouts have started watching more tape on him. It's the same reason Laurinaitis has dropped to the second round after being an all american college player.

Like I said, Rey is a good player, but he is not top 15 good.

What's funny to me is that people have been complaining about our Dline for the past 5+ years...about how you build a defense from the trenches back. Now people are saying you dont spend a top pick on an elite 5-technique. It doesn't make sense to me. Jackson will anchor the left side of our d-line for years and years. He is a top 10 player on most big boards and he would provide solid value at 12.

Rey has been quoted himself as saying he is not great in coverage and many scouts believe he may end up a 2-down backer in the NFL. I think his coverage skills are average, but I believe he will be a 3-down backer in the league. He will be a solid player, but I do not believe in reaching for players to prevent other teams from taking them. Maybe if we were the Patriots or Giants...but The Denver Broncos should be focusing on the Denver Broncos, not the Chargers.

My only problem is I think DL is a greater need for us. I would not be opposed to taking Rey at 18, but to take take him at 12 (which I believe is a reach) just because you think SD MIGHT take him is not smart at all. I would rather lock down the DL - the guys who are going to open gaps for the LBs - and build back from there.
    NO ONE SAID WE SHOULD TAKE HIM ONLY TO KEEP HIM AWAY FROM SD.

I'll agree that DL has been a need in the past, but that has changed just a little bit. The help we needed was in the pass rush...but the pass rush wont be coming from the DL primarily anymore. A 3-4 DE is NOT a top 15 pick in ANY draft.

As for Rey, I really hope no one is basing the "he's overrated" decision on his Pro-Day because he absolutely killed it and impressed the hell out of scouts. Yes, he over-pursues, but that can be coached.

I just really think we'd be missing an opportunity to add a potentially great playmaker to a defense sorely needing one

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Point taken, but what I was reading earlier was "We need to take Rey at 12 because having him on SD would make their defense scary good." I'm not saying we shouldn't take Rey, I'm saying we shouldn't take Rey at 12 for the sole reason that we dont want him to be taken at 16. If he is our guy and we are afraid that any team between 13 and 17 will take him, then by all means take him at 12. But the staff better be 100% confident he is THE player, because we will be passing up elite talent to take him at 12 when there is a good chance he will be there at 18.

You just kind of made my point for me. Right now he is a two-down backer and needs to be coached up to be elite. Where-as Jackson can come in, start from day one and play every snap of every game. That, to me, is what you need to see in a player to take them in the top 15 unless its a QB, LT or a WR with elite raw talent.

But for us, I think #12 money would be better spent on Jackson who could come in and be a Pro-Bowl type 5-technique out of the box. We are talking about a Chris Canty type of player and we all know how he opened up the corners for Dallas' pass rushers.

If we take Jackson and a guy like Maybin, Brown, Sintim, etc...that should elevate our pass rush and pass defense ten fold. Plus Jackson will solidify the run defense to the right side. Whereas Rey wouldn't really benefit the passing game much, he would just be a terror on running downs...Something I think Spencer Larsen can develop into IMO.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information