Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Walterfootball's six rd mock draft/all teams

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    I dunno I think next year we will have a great shot at a stud MLB. Spikes and McClain are studs. I like them both better than Rey. I'm just not that impressed with Rey.
    Fair enough, but what is it about him that is unimpressive? Bad combine?...true, but he had an awesome pro-day. Overruns plays? He does...but that is VERY easily coachable.

Everyone has their pros and cons, but leave names out of it for a second and decide if you'd rather a solid, run-stopping, 3-4 DE at the #12 pick...or a crazy ILB that is in on every play, but has a few things that need fine-tuning.

2. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Fair enough, but what is it about him that is unimpressive? Bad combine?...true, but he had an awesome pro-day. Overruns plays? He does...but that is VERY easily coachable.

Everyone has their pros and cons, but leave names out of it for a second and decide if you'd rather a solid, run-stopping, 3-4 DE at the #12 pick...or a crazy ILB that is in on every play, but has a few things that need fine-tuning.
    The knock was the same with al wilson when he came out of college.

I'd love to have tha next Troy Polumolu of ILB's in orange and blue for the next 10 years.

4. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Agreed.
    Quiet, you

Quiet, you
    What can I say, I think Rey is going to be a stud MLB in this league.

I like Jax a lot too, but he was just an average perfomer in college. And teams will not game plan around him, nor will RBs be afraid to run at him.

The opposite holds true with rey rey. He performed well, and teams will game plan against him just like teams do to merriman, lews, scott etc. And just like romo and atwater when they were hear, Rbs did not want to be hit by them.

Although with the rumors from GB and KC we might not even have a chance to sniff jackson. But of course Tjax would be an awesome player too.

I want rey and moreno and william moore with our first 3. If we can get 1 or 2 of those i will get a stiffy.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    The knock was the same with al wilson when he came out of college.

I'd love to have tha next Troy Polumolu of ILB's in orange and blue for the next 10 years.

I think he even looks like palamaulu a little too.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Being a good player does not yield equal benifits for each position in a 3-4.

IMO you will have a good player available at both the 12th and 18th picks. I would rank the positions importance to having a strong defense as 1) nose, 2) WOLB (pass rusher), and 3) DE. 3-4 teams seem to be able to get by with less than super ILBs as long as the D-line draws double team to keep the ILBs clean.
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

10. The Following User High Fived Dean For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Being a good player does not yield equal benifits for each position in a 3-4.

IMO you will have a good player available at both the 12th and 18th picks. I would rank the positions importance to having a strong defense as 1) nose, 2) WOLB (pass rusher), and 3) DE. 3-4 teams seem to be able to get by with less than super ILBs as long as the D-line draws double team to keep the ILBs clean.
    I disagree to a degree, Dean. imo DE is less important than ILB. The DE doesn't necessarily need to "make plays". as long as he can tie up blockers and hold the POA, he's doing his job. ILB, on the other hand, has to be able to get sideline to sideline, blitz, drop into pass coverage, and take on and shed OGs.

I agree with the NT and WOLB, but I'd take a pro-bowl ILB and a "solid" DE rather than vice versa every time.
    If not me, who?

12. The Following User High Fived bcbronc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Yea but you could say the same thing about Jackson. If we were to take Rey at 12, then SD would undoubtedly take Jackson at 16....and I think Jackson is a better player than Rey.

I personally would never take a guy just so another team cant get him. I think Jackson fits a bigger need and would make a bigger impact than Rey.
    yeah but Rey could dominate a game, with merriman and all those other players the chargers have, that defense would be scary good
    Wishlist -
    Rey Maualuga (that right Lynch?)
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

14. The Following User High Fived bullis26 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Sorry, but I am not drafting a guy at #12 just so the Chargers don't get him. That is about the worst reason to draft a player.

Merriman is on his contract year coming off a season ending injury last year. I wouldn't be too worried about him at this point considering next year is supposed to be our rebuilding year.

16. The Following User High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Sorry, but I am not drafting a guy at #12 just so the Chargers don't get him. That is about the worst reason to draft a player.

Merriman is on his contract year coming off a season ending injury last year. I wouldn't be too worried about him at this point considering next year is supposed to be our rebuilding year.
    That being said, I expect Merriman to be an animal this season. A year off...contract year...no cap (so far) next year...he has all the incentives.

Nevertheless, as I said, i wouldnt draft him for that reason either, but since he is a need and the best at his position...drafting him would merely have the additional benefit of keeping him out of the division.

Again, I just dont see THAT much of a difference in skill level between Jackson and Gilbert/Hood/Magee/Scott. At least at DE there are other options. At ILB, there isnt much left after Rey

18. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Thats another reason I don't like Rey. I feel like the only reason he is so high is because 1. He's from USC and 2. He has no ILB competition. He's a good player, but he is not a top 12 player in this draft.

If Spikes had come out this year I feel Rey would be #2 on the ILB board. There is a reason Rey was a top 10 prospect in December and has fallen back into the 20's.

I wouldn't be opposed to him at 18, but taking him at 12 just because you are worried San Diego might take him is rediculous. He is not a top 12 prospect and he wont be the BPA when we pick at 12.

Tyson Jackson is a top 10 prospect, but is up and down most mocks just because of the position he plays. I've seen him anywhere from #5 to #18. If you look at most big boards he is in the top 10 or top 15 on most. Rey is not.

Adopted Bronco:

I'll counter that and say that Jackson is only rated so high because of his position. With a slew of teams switching to a 3-4, guys like him become more in demand. Suppose there were only 4 or 5 teams running a 3-4...where would Jackson project then? I doubt it would be top 10.

As far as Rey goes, I'm not buying the crap that he's rated so high because he's from USC. If that's the excuse, then we need to use the same for every player from a premier program. I have a hard time buying into the fact that certain players are ONLY good because there are other good players around them.

The guy produced regardless. he has his shortcomings, but he is a player and has all the potential to be a stud in the NFL. If we can get Jackson at 12 and Rey at 18...great. I just have a hard time paying #12 money to a 3-4 lineman. the production totals will never justify the price tag.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    That being said, I expect Merriman to be an animal this season. A year off...contract year...no cap (so far) next year...he has all the incentives.

Nevertheless, as I said, i wouldnt draft him for that reason either, but since he is a need and the best at his position...drafting him would merely have the additional benefit of keeping him out of the division.

Again, I just dont see THAT much of a difference in skill level between Jackson and Gilbert/Hood/Magee/Scott. At least at DE there are other options. At ILB, there isnt much left after Rey
    I actually think that if Tyson Jackson goes into the top 5-10 (I've read the Chiefs are HIGHLY interested, they may trade down), I would love to have Jarron Gilbert. He's much more athletic and has more potential. He is the second best 3-4 DE in this draft.
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

I could be wrong as i never watched as USC game. But everyone says rey is overrated because their defense was soo good. And it was the talent of the other players that made him shine.

Why wouldnt it be the reverse? Why wouldnt it be that because rey was so good he made the other LB around him better. Before the year ended i hadnt even heard of half these guys. Mathews,english,sintim,mayben, cushing etc. Then all of a sudden they are all top 20 (maybe they were before) but rey is no longer?

Somehwere i read a quote that said they would send rey out like a heat skeaking missile to redirect the RB back to the heart of the defense so the other LB had time to make a play and a tackle.

To mee it seems like the other LB were mop up duty. Rey does the dirty work and those guys mop up what he didnt get.....

Just a thought, like i said i never watched a USC game.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

24. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information