Poll: What will our Win total Be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What Will Our Record Be Next Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I love how people think Manning magically filled a dozen or so big holes. Hopefully, Porter is a big upgrade over Goodman (not that that's saying much,) but otherwise we're pretty much the same team that was 4-12 two years ago and started 1-4 last year. People can sneer at Tebow as much as they like, but the fact remains we went 7-4 with him at the helm, 8-5 if we count the playoffs. I don't see Manning doing much better, since he can't duck out of a tackle and run for 20 yards every time Franklin whiffs a block, Clady decides he doesn't want another holding penalty, or a defender runs over Beadles/Walton.

The AFC West should be better (with the possible exception of SD,) and we have a first place schedule. I don't expect more than wins against the weak AFCN/NFCS team and breaking even (with luck) in the Division. Obviously, that's subject to change if we strike draft gold three or four times, but otherwise I'm settled in hoping we find a solid young replacement for Manning when he retires in two years (even though no young QB in his right mind would get near Denver now; we only want proven HoFers,) because that's the earliest I expect a title contender.

I know Manning is (or was) an exceptional QB who put up 14 win seasons in Indy, but I also know Ryan Lilja's in KC, Jeff Saturday's in Baltimore, and Reggie Wayne's still in Indy. Clark's still available, and four years younger than Manning; maybe if we sign him, then lure Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison out of retirement, we can go from the youngest to oldest team in the league. Then we're only a time machine and Tony Dungy defense away from winning 1 Super Bowl in ten years. Most of the time we'd have to settle for one and done, and only get that win because we faced Denvers awful pass def—oh... crap....

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but a reality check is clearly needed and will probably come no later than Halloween. Quarterbacks are not panaceas, and great ones don't turn losers into champs; I thought I left that idea back in junior high, but Elway should know better. With our line, I'll count this season a win if Manning finishes every game, but we had to make McGahee an "every down back" because we HAVE no one else (though I still like Johnson) and if Thomas recovered from dropsy, he infected Decker first. We still have no pass coverage deep or over the middle, and lost our only effective defender against runs up the gut.

We got lots o' problems Peyton Manning can't solve, some of which jeopardize his ability to move under his own power, let alone win games. We have a long way to go, and dropping $20 million/year on a guy who'll be retired before we can assemble any support for him was a step in the wrong direction, however good it felt at the time.

Wow, Dude. Way to rain on the parade.

I voted 10-6.

I disagree with one of the posters above about needing to do this particular vote without projecting what we do in the draft. To me, we are guessing about next season which will be after the draft, so you've got to include some hypotheticals that most likely include a first round DT and maybe some help at Linebacker, running back, OL and Receiver. Yes, Manning can't escape defenders who get by our OL, but Manning does get passes out fast, which is different than our last starting Quarterback. We have Jack Del Rio as DC which I feel is an improvement, we have a true off season to get the new schemes developed, so we don't need to reinvent ourselves mid-season, and we have Peyton Freeking Manning at Quarterback. Based on all that, the record will be better than last year.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Grover For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rjent View Post
    I agree to a certain extent, but in my opinion, I EXPECT a playoff berth and better. If we don't then this is all for nothing and we GAVE away a future legend. All I have been hearing on this board and from the organization, is that manning is going to get us to the promised land. It better happen or there will be a mutiny .....

I am actually glad we don't face the Jets this year, it would have been embarrassing to lose to them .....
    JMO

(see what I did ... I said it all without using the "T" word .... )
    Playoffs? TT should have a few starts in by then...That would be the most hyped game of all time.

4. The Following User High Fived vandammage13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I love how people think Manning magically filled a dozen or so big holes. Hopefully, Porter is a big upgrade over Goodman (not that that's saying much,) but otherwise we're pretty much the same team that was 4-12 two years ago and started 1-4 last year. People can sneer at Tebow as much as they like, but the fact remains we went 7-4 with him at the helm, 8-5 if we count the playoffs. I don't see Manning doing much better, since he can't duck out of a tackle and run for 20 yards every time Franklin whiffs a block, Clady decides he doesn't want another holding penalty, or a defender runs over Beadles/Walton.

The AFC West should be better (with the possible exception of SD,) and we have a first place schedule. I don't expect more than wins against the weak AFCN/NFCS team and breaking even (with luck) in the Division. Obviously, that's subject to change if we strike draft gold three or four times, but otherwise I'm settled in hoping we find a solid young replacement for Manning when he retires in two years (even though no young QB in his right mind would get near Denver now; we only want proven HoFers,) because that's the earliest I expect a title contender.

I know Manning is (or was) an exceptional QB who put up 14 win seasons in Indy, but I also know Ryan Lilja's in KC, Jeff Saturday's in Baltimore, and Reggie Wayne's still in Indy. Clark's still available, and four years younger than Manning; maybe if we sign him, then lure Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison out of retirement, we can go from the youngest to oldest team in the league. Then we're only a time machine and Tony Dungy defense away from winning 1 Super Bowl in ten years. Most of the time we'd have to settle for one and done, and only get that win because we faced Denvers awful pass def—oh... crap....

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but a reality check is clearly needed and will probably come no later than Halloween. Quarterbacks are not panaceas, and great ones don't turn losers into champs; I thought I left that idea back in junior high, but Elway should know better. With our line, I'll count this season a win if Manning finishes every game, but we had to make McGahee an "every down back" because we HAVE no one else (though I still like Johnson) and if Thomas recovered from dropsy, he infected Decker first. We still have no pass coverage deep or over the middle, and lost our only effective defender against runs up the gut.

We got lots o' problems Peyton Manning can't solve, some of which jeopardize his ability to move under his own power, let alone win games. We have a long way to go, and dropping $20 million/year on a guy who'll be retired before we can assemble any support for him was a step in the wrong direction, however good it felt at the time.

And I think youre completely wrong. (with respect) In 6 games last year, all of them wins, Tebow completed 10 passes or less. We led the league in 3 and outs.......by far.

Joel, we ACTUALLY WON A GAME IN WHICH WE COMPLETED ONLY 2 PASSES.

This is modern day NFL, and while Tebow came through in the clutch alot, Manning is going to score points. We will play with the lead alot more. And just like last year, but even more so, our defense is going to keep us in games.

Mark it down.....the pass rush is going to be killer this year if we stay healthy. Ayers will be better. Von will be better. Doom will be better.

We will win alot more than the 8 games we won last year.

My opium anyway.

IN PATON I TRUST.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

I think its pretty funny Bullgator thinks we're going to win only 7 games.

No offense Gator....
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post

No offense Gator....
    He's a ree ree.

And I think youre completely wrong. (with respect) In 6 games last year, all of them wins, Tebow completed 10 passes or less. We led the league in 3 and outs.......by far.

This is modern day NFL, and while Tebow came through in the clutch alot, Manning is going to score points. We will play with the lead alot more. And just like last year, but even more so, our defense is going to keep us in games.

Mark it down.....the pass rush is going to be killer this year if we stay healthy. Ayers will be better. Von will be better. Doom will be better.

My opium anyway.

And also was an integral part of the #1 rushing attack in the league....Proof that you can still win games with the tried and true method of playing sound D, Running the ball, and limiting TO's.

We would all like to see our QB put up huge passing numbers...But Tim's ability to make plays with his feet made up for his lack of production in the air...There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I saw interesting numbers posted before that in TT's 15 Starts as a Bronco, he put up 3,800+ yards of total offense and accounted for 28 TD's (These numbers exlude his 2010 spot duty before the final 3 starts)...That's pretty darn good for a guy making his first 15 starts. Few have put up better total offense over their first season's worth of starts in the NFL.

The bottom line is it was a formula for winning...Say what you want about completion % or whatever, but the wins speak for themselves even if they defy your own perpetual logic.
    Last edited by vandammage13; 03-28-2012 at 11:58 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived vandammage13 For This Post:

Too early to tell. Have to see the draft. Have to see what happens with suspended players.

Surface feels like 9-7 or 10-6 but it is too early to tell.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

if we can win 7 regular season games with tim, I definately think we can win 10 games with MANNING !
    tebow started 6-0, the leaUGE WAS CONFUSED AND MESMERIZED BY HIS ABNORMAL QB behavior.
    tebow finished 2-5.
    I always say the way you finished is who you are.
    JMCD started out 6-0 too,
    howe did he finish?
    I rest my case.
    adding MANNING subtracted the circus that is TEBOW, can I also count that as a victory?
    after this season, the JETS willbe loking for a REAL QB, either via the draft or free agency.
    We will be EXCITED about looking forward to MANNINGS second year as a bronco and the very real pursuit of the Lombardi !
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

My opium anyway.

Agreed. If the team stays healthy they will win way more than 7 or 8 games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Where is 16 wins?

15. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ricky Nattiel

No offense Gator....
    Have you thought about that the Manning you are getting will never be the manning of old?

You guys dont even know what you have in him yet.. HE doesn't even know what he has in him yet.. he said so himself that he isn't all the way back yet... who can tall me for sure he will EVER be back?

we are not talking about a taped ankle... this is his NECK.

Look I know that after getting rid of Tebow that the fans HAVE to be all in with Manning... I mean what else is there to have hope in?

BUT If I were you I would go into this season like I AM with my Gators... Hoping to go 500. Expecting to win 12 games will ruin the season for you... it WILL be heart break. too many things can still not materialize/go wrong to be so optimistic. The expectaions are way too high... go in with the thought of 8 wins and Im happy and then you can have a magical year possibly...

Like you did last year... did any of you (except me) think you would win a home playoff game? no most thought 5-6 wins.

Low expectations are your friend people. let the cake be 7-8 wins and the rest icing... or else you wont get even the cake.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Bullgator View Post

BUT If I were you I would go into this season like I AM with my Gators... Hoping to go 500. The expectaions are way too high... go in with the thought of 8 wins and Im happy and then you can have a magical year possibly...
    No offense, but i would only have that outlook with Tebow or some other QB who isnt on par with guys like Manning, Brady, etc. Hell, i think if we kept Tim we wouldnt reach 8 wins this year. It is a brutal schedule but people quickly forget that it was just in 2010 that Manning had a great year. Yes, he didnt play last year but there is nothing other than "speculation" that Manning will fail or fall apart. NOWHERE is there any indication before his injury that the guy was declining at such a rapid pace as you guys try to paint here. Like i said, i dont deal in what if's. Any player could get hurt and the season would be toast but knowing who Manning is and how he runs the offense gives me a lot of optimism. Something people kept saying i didnt have last year. So now we get a bonafide QB and im supposed to be pessimistic? Really? Sorry, if Manning and the team stays healthy i see at the very least 10 wins this season and i have far more "hope" this year than i would have initially.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ricky Nattiel

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    No offense, but i would only have that outlook with Tebow or some other QB who isnt on par with guys like Manning, Brady, etc. Hell, i think if we kept Tim we wouldnt reach 8 wins this year. It is a brutal schedule but people quickly forget that it was just in 2010 that Manning had a great year. Yes, he didnt play last year but there is nothing other than "speculation" that Manning will fail or fall apart. NOWHERE is there any indication before his injury that the guy was declining at such a rapid pace as you guys try to paint here. Like i said, i dont deal in what if's. Any player could get hurt and the season would be toast but knowing who Manning is and how he runs the offense gives me a lot of optimism. Something people kept saying i didnt have last year. So now we get a bonafide QB and im supposed to be pessimistic? Really? Sorry, if Manning and the team stays healthy i see at the very least 10 wins this season and i have far more "hope" this year than i would have initially.
    If manning GETS healthy you will repeat as AFC west champs and you will make a splash in the playoffs I would guess... not stays healthy but gets healthy and the stays healthy. even he has said that he is not back yet. IMO this was just a brilliant exit strat for the FO as far as the Tebow dilemma was concerned... one with great upside and potentially epicly disastrous down side.

we shall see

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Bullgator View Post
    If manning GETS healthy you will repeat as AFC west champs and you will make a splash in the playoffs I would guess... not stays healthy but gets healthy and the stays healthy. even he has said that he is not back yet. IMO this was just a brilliant exit strat for the FO as far as the Tebow dilemma was concerned... one with great upside and potentially epicly disastrous down side.

we shall see
    Yes, we will see. You roll the dice and take your chances. It's definitely a gamble. Still, it's one worth taking.

Was this an exit strategy? Maybe. I'm not convinced one way or the other.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Well...I think we go at least 4-2 in the division. Oakland has no draft picks and actually lost talent via FA. KC will finish last. SD still has talent and Rivers and Gates can always ball.

I don't think 3-1 vs the AFC North is out of the question, but 2-2 is more likely. Cincy is solid, but unspectacular. Cleveland sucks. Bmore's D is 1 year older. Pitt is a shell of themselves. They are in a huge transition year.

Vs the NFC South, we beat Tampa and Carolina. We'll shoot out w/ Atlanta and NO and se where the dust settles.

Then there is New England and Houston. I think we will struggle here. That said...there are NO great teams in the AFC. A lot will depend on Manning getting acclimated quickly and the defense continuing to improve.

8-8 to 10-6 is a reasonable projetion IMHO. I picked 9 wins...but if Maning was that big of a difference in Indy, we at leat showed we can play some D at times last year.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information