Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mock Draft Version 2.0

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Default Mock Draft Version 2.0

1. Detroit Lions: QB Matthew Stafford / Georgia -- I still think they'd be smarter to take Jason Smith or Aaron Curry, but it looks like Stafford is going to be the pick here. It does surprise me that they haven't finalized a contract, but I suppose there's no real reason for them to hurry.

2. St. Louis Rams: OT Jason Smith / Baylor -- The Rams are ecstatic to get the draft's top-rated tackle after missing out on Jake Long last year. It'll be hard for Steve Spagnuolo to pass on Aaron Curry, but the Rams' QBs took a beating last year behind their patchwork line. With Orlando Pace getting cut and bust Alex Barron on his way out either this year or next, this pick is a no-brainer. The addition of Smith along with Jason Brown should provide a nice foundation for the smashmouth running game Spags wants to employ.

3. Kansas Shitty Chiefs: LB Aaron Curry / Wake Forrest -- For the second year in a row, the draft's best defensive prospect falls in KC's lap. Flip a coin between Curry and Eugene Monroe, but the draft's safest pick will be a tempo setter on defense for the next decade, and the squaws are desperate for an identity on that side of the ball. Curry brings the toughness and versatility that Scott Pioli is sure to covet.

4. Seattle Seahawks: QB Mark Sanchez / USC -- I'm still not convinced that the Squawks won't take an OT here, but for now I'll go with the McShay report. With Dirty's lack of experience, it does make sense to sit him at least a year, and Hasselbeck is a more than capable bridge and mentor.

5. Cleveland Browns: WR Michael Crabtree / Texas Tech -- Look for the Browns to move Braylon Edwards on draft day after nabbing the ideal replacement. They could really use Malcolm Jenkins or one of the top edge rushers to bolster that defense, but those needs can both be addressed with lower picks in this draft. They could also address receiver later, but Crabtree's just too good to pass on. His penchant for catching absolutely everything will be an extremely welcome relief after Edwards' inconsistency.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: OT Eugene Monroe / Virginia -- Bengals fans breath a collective sigh of relief as the team fills its biggest hole without having to take a chance on another questionable character, Andre Smith. With the departure of Willie Anderson and Stacey Andrews over the past two years, and the decline of Levi Jones, the Bengals are desperate for tackles that can help keep their banged-up franchise quarterback in one piece.

7. Chokeland Faders: WR Jeremy Maclin / Missouri -- The Fade has arguably the worst receiving corps in the league, and they need to give the $35 million tub of guts some legit weapons to work with if they expect him to ever develop into a competent NFL starter. Maclin has the deep speed that Al Davis covets, and he offers explosive potential in the return game to a team that needs big plays anywhere it can find them. An OL or DL could also be the choice here, but receiver is the most immediate need.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: DT B.J. Raji / Boston College -- The Jags filled their need at OT with veteran Tra Thomas, and are reportedly close to signing Torry Holt. Filling those immediate needs allows them some flexibility, and Raji represents a monster upgrade over the warm bodies that tried to replace Marcus Stroud inside last year. Raji's ability to split gaps with his quickness should help bolster a sagging pass rush that's been the Achilles heel of an otherwise tough defense. If the team isn't sold on Raji, Andre Smith could be the pick here.

9. Green Bay Packers: DE/OLB Brian Orakpo / Texas -- The Pack could also look at Smith, but Orakpo's character will sway Ted Thompson. He gives them an edge rusher with tons of upside for their switch to a 30 front defense. Everette Brown and Malcolm Jenkins are also possibilities for this pick.

10. San Francisco 49ers: DE/OLB Everette Brown / Florida State -- The Niners need impact players on defense, and coach Mike Singletary will love Brown's explosiveness and solid character. His addition gives the team another speed rusher to pair with the emerging Parys Haralson. Brown can start out splitting snaps with the disappointing Manny Lawson.

11. Buffalo Bills: OT Andre Smith / Alabama -- In an example of perfect symmetry, the Bills replace a supremely talented monster of a tackle with questionable motivation and maturity with a very similar player. Smith is too talented to fall much further than this, and the Bills are forced to take a chance on him after the Jason Peters trade opened a gaping hole at the most important position on the offensive line. This team doesn't care about character anyways (see Marshawn Lynch and Terrell Owens), and Smith is exactly the kind of enormous mauler they want on the O-line. Aaron Maybin will be considered here also, but Smith fills the more pressing need.

12. Denver Broncos: DE Tyson Jackson / LSU -- In my heart I really suspect that Doogie wants to go offense with this pick and could very well take Knowshon Moreno, but for the purposes of this mock I'll assume we make the logical selection and take a guy that should step in right away and be a building block for our new 3-4 defense for the next decade. A tough, experienced, durable performer from the SEC, Jackson looks like one of the draft's safest picks. He brings the size and schematic versatility that a New England coach should respect, and helps fill a gaping hole that Denver has suffered from for the past decade.

13. Washington Redskins: DE Aaron Maybin / Penn State -- Maybin seems to have saved his stock with a good Pro Day performance. The Skins continue to revamp their defensive line with an outside speed rusher to complement the monstrous Albert Haynesworth inside. Washington could also look at Brian Cushing here, but durability concerns cause them to pass. Michael Oher will also be intriguing, but their need is at right tackle, and Oher doesn't project well to that side.

14. New Orleans Saints: CB/DB Malcolm Jenkins / Ohio State -- The Saints will also consider Cushing, but Jenkins just looks like a safer pick. With the emergence of Tracy Porter and the signing of Jabari Greer this isn't an immediate need, but Jenkins is too good to pass on. He provides depth to a unit that has been a disaster area, and could start at safety if they don't think they need him at cornerback. Sean Payton will love Jenkins' toughness and work ethic.

15. Houston Texans: DE Robert Ayers / Tennessee -- After watching Mike Shanahan's teams fail because of pitiful defensive lines, Gary Kubiak continues to invest in the position. The Texans need an end to capitalize on the constant double teams drawn by Mario Williams, and Ayers offers some pass rush ability from a base end that also has the size and strength to set the edge in the run game. They might even slide him inside on passing downs. Houston could also look at Vontae Davis here, but his questionable maturity and focus will likely make them go another direction.

16. San Diego Sparklers: LB Rey Maualuga / USC -- The Sparkies have been looking to upgrade the ILB position ever since Donnie Edwards left, and the SoCal product Maualuga brings a lot of nastiness and ability, and should be an instant fan favorite. Running back could be a possibility here, but they probably feel that Tomlinson has another year or two.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

2. The Following 7 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

17. New York Jets: RB Knowshon Moreno / Georgia -- Thomas Jones is past the dreaded 30-year mark and is making noise about a new contract, and Leon Washington is a free agent at the end of the year. Moreno is a great value here, and his vision, desire and quick feet will remind Jets fans of Curtis Martin. The team might look at Josh Freeman here, but Knowshon is clearly a much safer pick.

18. Denver Broncos: DE/OLB Clay Matthews / USC -- The Broncos continue to revamp their pathetic front seven. Clint Sintim would make a lot of sense here, but most rankings have Matthews higher, and he looks like the type of football player that will appeal to a Bellyache disciple. Vontae Davis and Donald Brown could also get looks in this spot.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DT Peria Jerry / Ole Miss -- The Bucs need a replacement inside after Jovan Haye defected in free agency. Jerry is an ideal fit as a Tampa-2 three-technique, and he has a chance to develop into a disruptive upfield lineman in Warren Sapp's old spot.

20. Detroit Lions: OT Michael Oher / Ole Miss -- Detroit gets a consolation prize after passing on Jason Smith. Oher could easily be off the board well before this, but concerns about whether he has the proper temperament to ever fulfill his potential may cause him to slide a bit. The Lions have already said they will move Jeff Backus inside to OLG if they can secure a top left tackle prospect in the draft.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: TE Brandon Pettigrew / Oklahoma State -- Iggles fans will bitch because they didn't take a wideout here, but Pettigrew is the smarter choice and a better value than any of the available receivers. His tough in-line blocking will be very welcome, and Donovan McNabb will love having a big, reliable chain-mover and red zone target.

22. Minnesota Vikings: OT Eben Britton / Arizona -- The Vikes need to upgrade the right tackle spot, and Britton is a natural fit on that side. The team will have a tough choice between Britton and Derius Heyward-Bey, but Brad Childress comes from a Philly team that religiously values the trenches more than the skill positions.

23. New England Patriots: DE/OLB Connor Barwin / Cincinnati -- The Patsies continue to revamp their aging LB corps after finding great success with Jerod Mayo last year. Barwin has the smarts, toughness, versatility and coachability that Bellyache covets. Dogfish throws remote in disgust.

24. Atlanta Falcons: OLB Brian Cushing / USC -- The Dirty Birds lost both of their starting OLBs from the beginning of last season, Keith Brooking and Michael Boley. Cushing will bring toughness and versatility to a currently very thin unit. He has the football character that Tom Demitroff wants, and should start right away. Larry English and Vontae Davis are also possibilities here.

25. Miami Dolphins: CB Vontae Davis / Illinois -- Davis faces a lot of questions, but his natural ability is too good to pass on here for a team that really needs an infusion of young talent at the position. Parcells' old school staff provides the type of hard coaching that will be required to get production out of Davis, and his size and strength will be very intriguing for a team that likes to play physical defense. A pass-rushing OLB is also a strong possibility with this pick.

26. Baltimore Ravens: WR Derius Heyward-Bey / Maryland -- The Vultures add a lanky blazer to provide a deep threat for their cannon-armed quarterback. Heyward-Bey adds an explosive element to a plodding, smashmouth offense. The Vultures always need receivers, and he's a good value here.

27. Indianapolis Colts: DE Michael Johnson / Georgia Tech -- Indy loves their undersized speed rushers, and they need more depth behind Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis. Johnson's durability concerns and inability to defend the run are things that have never bothered the Colts, and he can start out as a situational pass rusher. Max Unger and Donald Brown will probably both get long looks here as well.

28. Buffalo Bills: DE Larry English / Northern Illinois -- The Bills are in serious need of some pass rush, and English is productive and tenacious. He can contribute as a nickel rusher for a year while he adjusts to NFL competition.

29. New York Giants: WR Kenny Britt / Rutgers -- This pick may well be traded to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards on draft day, but if it isn't it looks like a foregone conclusion that the G-men will spend it on a big receiver to replace Plaxico Burress. Britt has the frame and catching radius to be effective on the fades that Eli loves to throw in the red zone.

30. Tennessee Titans: WR Hakeem Nicks / Carolina -- Tennessee's never-ending quest for a quality receiver continues. Alex Mack, James Lauranaitis, Percy Harvin and Ziggy Hood are all possibilities in this spot as well.

31. Arizona Cardinals: RB Chris Wells / Ohio State -- The Cards stop Beanie's slide just short of the second round. They could also consider Donald Brown here, but Wells' size speed combo is too good to pass up, and Wiz comes from a classic power running team that prefers bigger backs. It's almost guaranteed that RB is the pick here.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: C Alex Mack / Cal -- The rich get richer as the champs beef up their questionable interior O-line with a rock solid prospect that fits well in their scheme and has the versatility to play either center or guard. Percy Harvin or Brian Robiskie could also get a look in this spot.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Dogfish. Only change that I would recommend Tampa just hired Bates and is moving away from their tampa-2 coverage and fronts. That being the case they might go with the bigger body DT then Perry
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Dogfish. Only change that I would recommend Tampa just hired Bates and is moving away from their tampa-2 coverage and fronts. That being the case they might go with the bigger body DT then Perry

i thought morris would keep the cover-2, but if that's the case i might pencil in josh freeman for that pick-- i forgot about him. . . .
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Love TJax...hate Matthews equally as much

The thing about Mathews is his genes. You HAVE to love his genes. I know that a players isn't necessarily going to be a good player because of that, but if there was a good pick to make PURELY based on the players 'stock'...it would absolutely be Mathews.

The thing that makes that interesting to me, is this kid KNOWS what it takes to be an absolute PLAYER in the NFL. He has more than one generation of experience above him for advice and upbringing. That speaks volumes, and HOLDS volumes in the long run.

He was raised with football and from HoF talent bringing him up. When it comes to guys that got to the HoF because of their hard-nosed work-effort, that to me is VERY valuable.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

IMO, If any player at USC looks better than he really is due to the talent around him...it's Matthews. Add to that the steroid questions and I'd stay far away.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

no way the Eagles take a TE, they like there TE, i think beanie goes off the board there

And Michael Johnson will not be a 1st round pick, i wouldn't be surprised if he was a 3rd round pick, the colts will take a player they need, they wont go for depth, Colts will prolly go WR if NICKS is there
    Wishlist -
    Rey Maualuga (that right Lynch?)
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by bullis26 View Post
    no way the Eagles take a TE, they like there TE, i think beanie goes off the board there

And Michael Johnson will not be a 1st round pick, i wouldn't be surprised if he was a 3rd round pick, the colts will take a player they need, they wont go for depth, Colts will prolly go WR if NICKS is there
    The Eagles will trade out of the first round again instead . I do agree with them going RB but what about linebacker? I can't name any of theirs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    The Eagles will trade out of the first round again instead . I do agree with them going RB but what about linebacker? I can't name any of theirs.
    well i think since they got peters they need RB, WR, LB's they got some talent there already
    Wishlist -
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

Adopted Bronco:

which TE? brent celek? matt schobel? neither one of them has ever had more than 27 catches in a season, and neither one can block worth a shit. . . . or do you mean LJ smith, who walked in free agency?

yea. . . . they like their TEs so much that they tried to trade a draft pick for a 1-2 year rental of tony gonzalez last season. . . as for beanie-- not happening. . . andy reid and the philly FO doesn't value the position. . . the eagles haven't taken a RB higher than the 3rd round since 19freaking92. . . . and wells doesn't fit their west coast offense-- he doesn't catch the ball well and hasn't proven himself as a pass protector. . . the eagles virtually ALWAYS spend their top pick on a guy that plays on the line, and unless they decide to take a DE there, pettigrew is the next closest thing. . . if they don't take him, they're probably looking at barwin there. . .

and i can't see indy taking nicks, either-- once again, not a system fit. . . the colts like quick receivers that run precise routes, not big-framed possession guys like nicks. . . besides, bill polian generally stays away from questionable characters. . . if they take a receiver in the first, robiskie is a more likely target, but that might be a little high for him (of course, people said the same thing about addai and anthony gonzalez-- indy doesn't care, they rate players according to their own system and don't worry about what other people think). . . it's more likely that they go after juaquin iglesias at the end of the second. . . if they don't take johnson in the 1st, i would expect them to look at either ziggy hood, max unger to replace jeff saturday in a year or two, or donald brown because addai can't stay healthy. . . .

FTR, i don't think johnson deserves a 1st round pick, but his skill set and decent college production dictates that he probably goes fairly high, especially after scouts were drooling over his pro day. . . .
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    which TE? brent celek? matt schobel? neither one of them has ever had more than 27 catches in a season, and neither one can block worth a shit. . . . or do you mean LJ smith, who walked in free agency?

yea. . . . they like their TEs so much that they tried to trade a draft pick for a 1-2 year rental of tony gonzalez last season. . . as for beanie-- not happening. . . andy reid and the philly FO doesn't value the position. . . the eagles haven't taken a RB higher than the 3rd round since 19freaking92. . . . and wells doesn't fit their west coast offense-- he doesn't catch the ball well and hasn't proven himself as a pass protector. . . the eagles virtually ALWAYS spend their top pick on a guy that plays on the line, and unless they decide to take a DE there, pettigrew is the next closest thing. . . if they don't take him, they're probably looking at barwin there. . .

and i can't see indy taking nicks, either-- once again, not a system fit. . . the colts like quick receivers that run precise routes, not big-framed possession guys like nicks. . . besides, bill polian generally stays away from questionable characters. . . if they take a receiver in the first, robiskie is a more likely target, but that might be a little high for him (of course, people said the same thing about addai and anthony gonzalez-- indy doesn't care, they rate players according to their own system and don't worry about what other people think). . . it's more likely that they go after juaquin iglesias at the end of the second. . . if they don't take johnson in the 1st, i would expect them to look at either ziggy hood, max unger to replace jeff saturday in a year or two, or donald brown because addai can't stay healthy. . . .

FTR, i don't think johnson deserves a 1st round pick, but his skill set and decent college production dictates that he probably goes fairly high, especially after scouts were drooling over his pro day. . . .
    First of all, the eagles are VERY happy with Brent Celek, and they arent trying to trade for GONZO, thats atlanta, you got them mixed up obviously......And Hakeem Nicks runs very good routes, and i dont agree with hood, or peria jerry if jerry is there, but why would they take unger over mack? Unger will be there when they pick in the 2nd, Mack won't

The Eagles need a big back, they have struggles in the red zone, they need somebody to pound it in
    Wishlist -
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

First of all, the eagles are VERY happy with Brent Celek, and they arent trying to trade for GONZO, thats atlanta, you got them mixed up obviously......And Hakeem Nicks runs very good routes, and i dont agree with hood, or peria jerry if jerry is there, but why would they take unger over mack? Unger will be there when they pick in the 2nd, Mack won't

The Eagles need a big back, they have struggles in the red zone, they need somebody to pound it in
    http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/1...-for-gonzalez/

I can't believe an Andy Reid, pass-happy team is "happy" with Celek.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/1...-for-gonzalez/

I can't believe an Andy Reid, pass-happy team is "happy" with Celek.
    you gave me a link that had a report from october? haha WOW!

thats why they let LJ walk, it was on PTI, andy reid said he's happy moving on with celek as his starting TE
    Wishlist -
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    yea. . . . they like their TEs so much that they tried to trade a draft pick for a 1-2 year rental of tony gonzalez last season. . .
    you gave me a link that had a report from october? haha WOW!

thats why they let LJ walk, it was on PTI, andy reid said he's happy moving on with celek as his starting TE
    Reading comprehension, FTW!

18. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information