Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Go Mariners!!

I got served. Sorry about my misinterpretation. I just looked at the average of those who were in the line-up yesterday and it didn't look too special.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Weather was perfect for baseball last night at Safeco, too bad the hitting and pitching could not have been the same! Looks like after about 5 innings, it was a yawner.

Run support would be awesome. Hurts to see pitchers like Bedard, Hernandez and Washburn consistently going 6-7 innings deep in extremely solid efforts and coming up with ND's or L's. That is pathetic. WB needs to get his shit together.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I just got back to my office from Coors Field. Tonight the Rockies beat the Mariners 6-4 to extend their winning streak to nine games. The Mariners lost and are now one game under .500.

This was the first time I've seen the Mariners play in person since watching them lose to the Kansas City Royals in May of 1981 at the Kingdome when I was five years old. I lived in Olympia at the time and Mt. St. Helens blew her lid almost exactly a year before. I recall at the time thinking that many cumulus clouds were possible eruptions. "Is that a volcano cloud?" ... "No, that's just a thundercloud"

The game was just before my 6th birthday--I think it was a birthday present actually.

That was the strike season. Even then I felt kind of weird even then crossing the picket line to watch the game. If I was older I would have asked not to go I think.

So it was nice getting to see the Mariners play here in Denver. It was really a crappy game though. But it was kind of amazing how I ended up going to the game.

After lunch I was walking back to work in the Tabor building where I work and ran into an old friend. He was a recent AFA grad that I knew from the wings of blue parachute team, and who I commissioned as an officer. My last AF assignment was working with the cadets on the jump team as pilot and jump instructor. It was a pleasant surprise to run into him out of the blue like that--most AFA grads end up in distant corners of the globe a few years after graduation. My friend decided to get out early when he decided it wasn't for him. He is going to end up working for a law firm a couple of floors above me...small world. We decided we had to catch up sometime soon.

When I returned to work, I thought I might catch the Mariners game and asked my friend if he would like to join. He actually had tickets and was already planning to go with his new bride--and offered me tickets to join them! They were a couple of rows behind the visiting team dugout, very nice seats. I couldn't have been happier--I grabbed a stogy on the way to Coors Field. Sadly that means you have to go to a triangular area by the Rockpile to enjoy it...didn't know that.

It looked like it was going to be a great game for the Mariners until stupidity and a few minor errors turned the tide. Washburn's throw to first was off the mark and the runner was called safe because Branyan had to leave the bag to catch it...cost a run or two. The error by RJ on the throw to second when Tulo stole...another run. Yuni's lameness was another run or two. It was a sorry demonstration.

A lot of cool stuff. The early dinger by big Russ, the two run double by Beltre, the drama in the top of the ninth with two out.

The high point was making eye contact with Junior. Again, my seat was very close to the dugout so that was a total and unexpected bonus. I gave him a nod but it was too slight, and he didn't return it.

It was a great experience, I'll be back there tomorrow to watch Bedard on the mound.

Go M's!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Bedard is doing well this year. Still, the Adam Jones trade sucked. That kid is going to be bananas.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out. This has to be peak-Mariners right now.

I know they have only played 6 games against playoff caliber teams (if you count the Angels), but still...w t f

And what's the deal with pulling Beckman for this Moore clown?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out. This has to be peak-Mariners right now.

I know they have only played 6 games against playoff caliber teams (if you count the Angels), but still...w t f

And what's the deal with pulling Beckman for this Moore clown?
    Y'all will get tested later this week when Houston comes to town. But 33 homers already as of yesterday? That's incredible. They're doing really well, just like they did last year for the most part. I'd rather Seattle do well than Oakland, if I had to pick another team in the AL West to do well besides Houston.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Y'all will get tested later this week when Houston comes to town. But 33 homers already as of yesterday? That's incredible. They're doing really well, just like they did last year for the most part. I'd rather Seattle do well than Oakland, if I had to pick another team in the AL West to do well besides Houston.
    538 projects Oakland, Angels, and M's to be competitive for a WC spot...should be a compelling race for 2d in the AL West.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

The Mariners are 11-2 and crushing the ball. They were solid last year. The A's have a good team. Boston and the Yankees will heat up, but only one of them will win the division. If this season is anything like last season, there will be four or five teams fighting for one WC spot.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Their batting average split between medium & high leverage at bats vs. low leverage at bats is kind of crazy and explains a bit of the fluky offensive production. It's like .350 in their 260 or so plus-leverage plate appearances, and .250 in their 300ish low-leverage PAs.

Contrast that with a team like the Rockies right now, they are hitting about .180 in medium/high leverage, and .250 otherwise.

Sure, the M's are hitting well through 13 games no matter how you slice it, but they are getting lucky stringing them together to get runs.

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Gotta be good to get lucky.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information