Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top ten song list of all time and the reasons why

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Top ten song list of all time and the reasons why

My favorite songs of all time.

1 Pink Floyd, 'Time'

This is my favorite song. To say that you have to put everything in perspective. You have to put yourself at t=4, t=8, t=11, t=14, and so on, through t=present. Which time mattered the most? Is now the most important time, or was an earlier time more meaningful? I miss parts of those earlier times, but maybe it's just that best parts etched the fossil record to be remembered in these later days.

This song used to wash over me like an opiate. The early chords struck with the authority of math. The drums echoed in the distance, creating boundaries in space like a wall at the edges of the universe. The heartbeat reminded you of your very existence, which is constantly forgotten. It built to the inexorable conclusion of the drum intro to the main body of the song.

The lyrics, 'ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day. fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way' define the theme of the song. It continues in a way that seemed to personally identify my existence at age 12. That was when this song was most meaningful to me. What a little turd I was!

The unhurried, magestic sweep of the song resonates with the very essence of time itself. The sustained notes of gilmour's solos are unerring and evocative of the swell and recourse of our pygmy emotions. To me this song accurately reflects this life. The lyrics resonate the message of the song particularly well.

2. Beatles 'Strawberry Fields Forever'

I'm convinced I was meant to be a British psychotropic visionary. I certainly was when I was into the Beatles and into particular this song, at age 11. To me the Beatles are the best band when judged by the whole body of work. I always identified with John Lennon, mainly because I viewed him as the brightest of the pack, something I wanted to be. I was already well used to offending, intimidating, and detaching myself from my peers by overt displays of intelligence. My self-defining moment came in kindergarten when we played 'around the world' with math flash cards and I was banned on that first day from ever playing again as I made two laps around the classroom before my teacher told me I had to sit down to give everyone else a chance to play. To me this was evidence I would use throughout my life to self-affirm superiority, for better or worse--mainly for worse. These days it's easier for me to see the flaws in my thinking, understand the advantages of my peers, and suppress the yen of my ego.

This is all a roundabout way of describing why I felt a particular kinship with John Lennon. I studied him quite industriously at that age. I read a biography that described how he then attempted a local record for jacking off five times consecutively; I then had a purpose. Somehow, I never actually made it around to trying any chemicals, I attribute this to my mother, for whom I am grateful beyond measure. There are many similarities between the youth of Lennon and my own youth. This song captures the insularity of our adolescent lives. BTW up to this point I did not have a dad, which may also provide an interesting background to the reader. 'Boy needs an ass-whuppin' is a response I would hope is shared by many.

3. Beastie Boys, Brass Monkey *or* Hit it Run, Run DMC

This was fourth grade. It's funny how you always think something is so special and unique to you but it's really shared by millions, or more. At least I do. My friend Jeff and I thought we were the only outlaws in fourth grade that had access to this album. We thought we were well into rap well before anyone else. I thought I could breakdance better than anyone. We had a talent show in sixth grade and Jeff, Sean, Don Hyun (chubby studious mature Korean kid who had a house that smelled like fish/squid--I understand the greater meaning of all this now after living in Korea for a year) and I were the "Kings of Rap". I was on turntable and also had my verse. I was no good, that's a fact. But we had our "Kings of Rap" act for the sixth grade talent show and damn proud. We worked hard to prepare. I tried to perfect my beatbox but it never quite got there. We ruined Jeff's dad's Herman's Hermits album with our scratching.

We were also the four ninja turtles at recess. Because of my name I was Leonardo, but I always wanted to be Michaelangelo, mainly because Leon was such a pitiful name in my estimation.

4. Tool, Stinkfist

This was around junior year at the air force academy. No, this was senior year. I was excited about the new tool album. I first heard Tool in '92 at Jeff's house when one of his friends was crazy about Opiate. I remember this because he (Jeff's friend Eric) was so incredibly prescient. It is things like that which give me hope that there are people in this world that can see the forest through the trees. I know that I cannot. I think we all know someone like that who is always out of step with the pack but ahead by a step. I think he was a fag too, but not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, this song was responsible for me going from a 3.9 gpa to a 1.5 gpa. I began to question meaning in a fundamental way that proved detrimental to performance. It became impossible to perform academically because getting these A's no longer had personal value. In any given subject it was a matter of choice to establish superiority and was therefore no longer interesting, and I attached a great deal of importance to academic superiority up to that point.

'not enough
    I need more
    nothing seems to satisfy
    I don't want it
    I just need it
    to breathe
    to feel
    to know I'm alive'

'how can this mean anything to me
    if I really don't feel anything at all.

I'll keep digging
    until I feel something.'

Meet Mr. Self Destructive.

I think it's funny that Maynard was an academy alum; a glee club member even. Actually, he may have only been a prep student. Whatever. Maynard = hawgdriver in another life, a more talented life. This naturally leads to

#4 Tool, Parabola (w/ Parabol beforehand)

I like anything mathematical!

While I was in afghanistan a few years back I would listen to these songs over and over. The lyrics are a big part of the appeal. This song is existential to me, akin to Frankl's search for meaning but less Holocausty. Of all the songs on this list, this one most directly penetrates the essence of living.

From a very young age I have considered in stark wonderment my very being. Why am I? These arms, legs, brain, mind--this ME...what is all this? There is certainly a reason. This self-discourse defines reason. I am always talking to myself using logic. Otherwise there is madness. Yet this is thinly veiled madness--consider the alzheimers sufferers. Those memories crumble away like remote swirls of mid-Pacific waves breaking upon themselves, visible only to the most stubborn of terns set adrift by a gamma ray induced brainfart or scent of poontang on the wind or something.

What is this? Wide-eyed and hopeful. That's exactly what I am.

We barely remember what came before this precious moment. This is us. This is human. Alone among sparks we deem eternal; those others in this ether upon which we attach the greatest significance should they frown or smile.

And it is seriously ******* holy in my book, thank you so much Lord, and thank you for making the very act of belief in anything a choice.

ALIVE, I!

Plus this song rocks.

#5 Joy Division, Disorder

I remember this song well because I spent a day shoveling goat shit after I broke my dad's rear windshield and told him it was because I accidentally threw a piece of firewood through it (and of course I put a bunch of other firewood in the back as evidence of this need to gather firewood) when in reality it was because I took it out for a 'joyride' (I was 15) to go hang out with a friend and listen to the pogues, descendents, PIL, TSOL, and Joy Division. I locked the keys in the truck (exhibit A, superior intellect) and had no choice but to bust through the rear windshield and concoct some horseshit tale about firewood stacking. When dad got home (btw I failed out of junior high and was evicted to live with my dad who I had met a few years earlier) he bought the story at first. The next morning he said, 'the truck is running funny. you sure about your story?' *major hairy eyeball action* after I confessed (dumbass) I got an epic assbeating. It was truly penitentiary style as far as that kind of thing goes. Anyway, I spent the rest of that day shovelling goat shit into wheelbarrows that I would then transport to our garden, a couple hundred feet apart.

I don't know if you know much about goat shit, but it's a unique substance. When you mix it with straw and goat hoof action, it creates a weapons-grade anthracite-like ammonia crust that is well defended from common pitchfork and shovel techniques. You would unearth a layer of this fibrous material only to release molecules of what can only be described as the antimatter particles of anything that smells good. This I did on that glorious day, 66 wheelbarrows by nightfall as it turned out, all to the backdrop of Joy Division. When this song arrived in the rotation it was pure bliss. It's amazing how adaptable we are when you think about it. We can overcome any situation with our wee brains. Go brains!

I think I will finish with the other five songs later.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Man! I'm really old!!!
    "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused!" Unknown

4. The Following User High Fived deacon For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I will participate in this later.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Same, no time right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Son(g) of a bitch...pun...this post is reserved while I go do some thinking about this.

This is a lot of thought.
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Two 4's.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    Two 4's.
    Haha...whoops. I was a little tipsy. Good catch. Exhibit B.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Good thread. I'll write something up by tomorrow morning, I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Greatest thread ever.

1.) All Along the Watchtower.

But not performed by Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan. Hendrix's version is superb and possibly the greatest guitar song ever...his fills were unbelievable and the vision in the solo was well beyond what anyone was doing at the time...but...

Dave Matthews Band's All Along the Watchtower is haunting and powerful at the same time. I don't think its ever been on a studio album, but its a great version of the song.

In the original version, on Recently, and then on the original Live at Red Rocks, Dave's vocals are superb and almost condescending at the beginning as he smirks his way through the first two verses, but the band goes nuts on the third verse and they rip into a jam that can last for 10 minutes, and once included a version of Stairway to Heaven.

2.) Hey Jude.

Epic in all regards. The first real long rock song released to radio, The context of the story (McCartney wrote the song as an encouragement to Julian Lennon as Lennon was going through the divorce with his first wife, Julia.)

A great piano riff from Paul McCartney, and brilliant lyrics that mold into an epic rock song, and really the first power ballad. Plus, McCartney’s vocals near the end of the song are epic.

3.) Over the Hills and Far Away.

Another epic song that helped lead to the power ballad. Jimmy Page, who was sometimes sloppy with the electric guitar (which he demonstrated later in the song) was absolutely precise with the acoustic, and the opening was just a brilliant open-fretted riff.

The song builds to an absolute crescendo with power chords (one of the first real implementations of the true power chord) and the soaring vocals of Robert Plant. Completed by a brilliant solo from Page, powerful rhythm work from Bonham and the subtle ending. The song plays like a three-part play.

4.) Layla.

Two versions, two brilliant songs.

The original was a drug-induced tribute to George Harrison’s wife (what would become Eric Clapton’s wife).

Clapton wrote one of the most signature riffs in Rock history,

The song was brilliantly woven into a lengthy outro featuring Duane Allman on the slide guitar.

Clapton sobered up, and he didn’t just write the song, he absolutely re-vitalized it on acoustic guitar and brought the song a new voice.

5.) American Pie.

No song captures Americana as well as American Pie. Don McClean wrote incredible lyrics and wove a story of allegory and symbolism amidst the perfect ode to 1950s music and the origins of Rock ‘n’ Roll.

13. The Following 7 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

1) AC/DC - "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

This song was my first exploration into non-Billboard type music, and was also the first true rock song that I 100% enjoyed. It's odd that I picked this song as I was younger, as, though it was a good song, this song hardly mimicked the classic AC/DC style of song. Different formula.

What first enraptured me was the simple, yet powerful guitar riff to open up the song. I loved it. It was bluesy, soulful, and indescribably what I craved at the time. I also should have picked up at this time that me going away from the norm in music was imminent, as I hardly listened to what anybody else listened to after that. Looking for new bands became my hobby a couple years after that.

"Rock and roll ain't no rhythm man
    To me it makes good good sense"

Anyway, the way that Brian Johnson was able to achieve an abrasive, but not overly larnyx-tearing, was awesome, and fit the standard of the song perfectly. That, and Angus' guitar solo was completely badass in this song, like most.

2) Queen - "Somebody to Love"

This song began my fascination with vocal harmony. Freddie Mercury's vocal, backed by a gospel-like choir of the other member (with some digitalization to record voices at separate notes), was the perfect rock opera song.

Then, throw in a beautifully composed electric guitar part and a perfect piano for Mercury to add his own little soul, it just worked. Mercury's outstanding vocals just amaze me, especially where he just wails "Somebody tooooooo.... Looooove." Incredible; there are few voices with that quality, and Freddie used the hell out of his on that song. Just a sensationally written sog overall.

3) The Beatles - "Let It Be"

It's really hard to evoke what kind of feeling this song has on me, as it's just so original and so difficult to recreate it in words. It's both somber, uplifting, and infinitely peaceful, and swells of emotion just pour into every nerve ending throughout it. Just surreal.

Again, I love the "ah"s of harmony in the background during the chorus, the tasteful piano at the beginning, and the tide of restrained musicality throughout.

On a separate note, I was watching one of those cool music channels that exclusively plays like concerts all day, and one of them was a Paul McCartney concert at some smaller arena in London, and right into this song, they began to go into this song, and everybody just went together, everybody singing and swaying along with Paul on the piano. It was magical, this song, that it still has that effect generations later.

4) Jet - "Come Around Again" and "Move On"

Though they're not any sort of older band, I think Jet may be one of the premier bands in creating the perfect acoustic ballad. Their songs are simple, based on one acoustic riff, and then maybe a layer of electric guitar or keyboard. Bass plays a little, but is hardly thumping.

And again, it's the inherent simplicity, or rather, the mastery of that simplicity, that draws me to songs like these. Any band can do an acoustic ballad. Only the great ones can master them, and Jet may be well on their way to doing so, pending future albums. The guitar just blends so well with the whiskey-rock voice of Cester, it's just... inexplicable.

5) Gov't Mule - "Soulshine"

The perfect jam band song. Uplifting, plenty of room to freestyle and individualize riffs throughout, and has probably been played different every time. Super passionate. It's better than moonshine, and damn sure better than rain. Great song.

"Got to let your soul shine
    Shine till the break of day"
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived Broncospsycho77 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

1) Strapping Young Lad- Detox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrNOqVZbwWw

When i first discovered SYL and Devin Townsend in 97' i never truly knew the kind of experience musically that i would have. Sure, for years on up to that point certain songs/bands always struck
    some kind of cord with me but never on a REAL intimate level. Everything this man touches turns to
    gold with me and effects me either emotionally or comically depending on the song. But this song which was one of the first ones i ever heard from him is not only aggressive but it strikes deep within also with the lyrical content for me. One verse in particular happens at the 2:55 mark when Devin goes into "

I Was Warned
    Absolutley Numb
    No Good Around People
    Everyone Knows And Watches Me

How Did I Get Here Tonight?
    What Am I Doing Here?
    How Did I Reach This STATE?
    How Did I Lose My Sight?

I'm Lost ... I'm FREAKING
    And Everybody Knows ... Everyone's Watching

...So Here's All My Hopes And Aspirations
    Nothing But Puke
    God I'M So Lonely..."

Obviously this song was around at one of my darkest times in my life and things have been much better since but the song still stands as my alltime favorite and was a big help getting through tough times.

2) Fear Factory- Resurrection
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xad...rrection_music

Ive loved this band from their incarnation in 92' and although they arent together anymore this song is fantastic both musically and lyrically. Even the video which was done for it is outstanding. Probably the best ballad and trademark song they every released and its still timeless today. Throw in the overall talent of the band with Burton's vocals and you have one great and kick ass song.

3) Summoning- Long Lost Where No Pathway Goes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfkDH3F1GA

One of the very few black metal songs that will continue to make my top 10 is this track by Summoning. With atmospheric keyboards laced with Tolkien lyrical themes gives way for a Epic song all the way down. They could of added this track to the LOTR's soundtrack and it would be
    just as excellent as the original score.

4) Type O Negative- Love You to Death
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=3925782

Flat out beautiful and emotional song. One of the best from this band. Its got the whole gothic vibe
    and yet great melody and depressive atmosphere to boot. Band is still one of my favorites to this day.

5) Ratt- Lay it Down
    http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...-it-down_music

No 80's band had more of an impression on me than Ratt. Even though i had gotten into Motley Crue, Dokken, Van Halen, and Def Leppard none of them garnered more admiration than this band. Ironcially, Out of the Cellar is still my favorite album but "lay it down" is still by far my favorite track by this band. Great riff, great chorus, and just a kick ass song. Even though i listen to a lot more heavier bands now days i can still kick in this tune and headbang like it was yesterday
    Last edited by Northman; 04-17-2009 at 11:31 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think I got the first few of them right. I don't think I would change them a year from now, and I don't think they would be different two or three years ago either.

I didn't do the best job explaining why each was special.

For example, one thing I forgot to mention about 'Time' was that I used to listen to it a lot on a walkman tape player. I remember one time in particular when the sun struck me like a blast through my closed eyelids and the warm red radiation, which flickered as the pines passed by the passenger window, poured into my optic-brain as the Alan Parsons engineered synthesizer portamentos carried me toward exaltation.

if only language communicated, you know?
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 04-18-2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: portamento is more appropriate than glissando according to wiki

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I first need to put down some ground rules. My Top 10 are all songs that must be either well known or commercially successful. I also think they have to evoke something new/different/powerful with strong lyrics. I grew up in the 60s and 70s on AM radio so most of my selections will reflect that. If you're not into that, sorry. BTW, some of these songs are not personal favorites of mine but ones I acknowledge as very well-done songs. I'm not sure I can rank them so, instead I'll just list them:

1. "Let it Be," The Beatles. I concur with the reasons cited above so there's no reason to repeat all of it. When one poll a couple of years ago chose "In My Life" by the Beatles as the greatest song of all time, I simply laughed and realized they had no clue. It's sort of like declaring Jake Plummer the greatest Bronco quarterback of all time.

2. "American Pie," Don McLean. Again, cited above and I agree with the comments. It probably hurt that the single had to broken up into two halves of the 45 or it might have sold even better.

3. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," The Righteous Brothers. Phil Spector may be a nutjob but his "Wall of Sound" never sounded better than on this number with these two great singers. Not well known is that the Righteous Brothers frequently hit the R&B charts back in the 1960s which was almost exclusively the province of black artists. That's a testament to the artistry of those two voices.

4. "The Wreck Of The Edmond Fitzgerald," Gordon Lightfoot. I must confess I have always been a Lightfoot fan but the amazing thing about this song is that it got all the way up to #2 on the Billboard charts despite breaking many of the rules for being a hit record. It had no chorus. It was too long. You couldn't dance to it. It wasn't repetitive or had a "hook". It's rather depressing. Why was this song so successful? Other than working in several geographic locations into the lyrics, I can only credit the powerful lyrics and great production value that made you feel you were bobbing up and down helplessly on a sinking vessel in a storm.

5. "Rock Around The Clock," Bill Haley and The Comets. Commonly cited as the first song of the Rock And Roll Era, it is a worthy standardbearer even though it is, by today's standards, a rather tame song. The pudgy Haley made a career out of this one successful classic which tells you all you need to know about his overall talent. If RATC doesn't symbolize the era for you, you are free to substitute "Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay" by Danny and The Juniors to speak for the 1950s music era.

6. "Stop! In The Name Of Love," The Supremes. The chorus is a twist on the common catchphrase "stop in the name of the law" spoken by tv cops attempting an arrest. The lyrics spell out a woman trying to hold onto her man. The timing and range of Diana Ross' vocal is exceptional. The production, from the opening organ riff to the combined pounding of piano, drums and bass add an urgency to Ross' pleas not to lose her guy.

7. "Drift Away," Dobie Gray. This oft-copied hit speaks of the love for music as both an escape and an elixir. Powerful vocal adds to strong production values. "Gimme the beat boys and free my soul..."

8. "Pressure," Billy Joel. Here's another song that was a hit despite breaking some rules. The frenetic organ opening spins you into the sort of panic that speaks "pressure" and Joel fills out the song with lyrics like few have the talent to do. I love the baseball analogy in the lyrics too. One of those songs where the opening riff can be played and most people instantly understand the reference.

9. "Vision Of Love," Mariah Carey. Love Mariah or not, it is hard to overlook what a powerful number this song is an how perfectly it was performed and produced. Love songs, by nature, are a bit over the top but, as a statement of devotion, it would be hard to top this one.

10. "Sultans Of Swing," Dire Straits. I did have a Bob Dylan song here but I decided to change this because I recall how unique and well-done this song was that put one of the top groups of the 80s on the map. Mark Knofler's growling voice made it seem like the front man for countless local bands that play because they want to play and not necessarily for the money. Great guitar work too.

Now, among my personal favorites are "Roads To Moscow" and "Pandora" by Al Stewart, "Midnight Train To Georgia" by Gladys Knight and The Pips, "Hunting High And Low" by A-Ha, "Until The Night" by Billy Joel, "Island" by Gerry Rafferty and "All The Lovely Ladies" by Gordon Lightfoot but most were not really fitting for this list.
    Last edited by OrangeHoof; 04-18-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Kudos to all of your choices. I don't think I could do a Top 10 with as much non subjective reasons why. However, I will give it a shot.
    This space available for lease.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information