Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Top ten song list of all time and the reasons why

In no particular order...

10. Unchained Melody It was first used in a movie about prison called "Unchained," thus the title "Unchained Melody" was penned. It was originally written by a teenage boy who was in love with a neighborhood girl. The love connection never happened, but the song stood through the test of time. It was popular in the 1950's, and then again in 1990 when used in the movie "Ghost." It's a song that will never die.
    This space available for lease.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

9. Nights in White Satin - It was written by Justin Hayward at the age of 19, after a friend gave him a set of white bed sheets. He had just come out of a relationship and was still stinging from it. When it was first released, it didn't do well because it was so long. After "Hey Jude" and "Layla," it was re-released and became a hit. I think it should be a top ten, because like my number 10, it's one of those songs that hung in there, written with heart, and is still loved almost 50 years later.

4. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

8. My Generation It was written by Pete Townshend on a train. He wrote it as inspiration when the Queen Mother had his hearse towed because its sight offended her. It was about youth finding their place in society. It's been covered many times, most recently by Hilary Duff. Rolling Stone deemed her cover the worst in history. It's one of those songs that again isn't stuck in its time. The lyrics and meaning apply to any one at any age, in every generation.

6. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

1. Tribe Called Quest - Jazz

2This was my first favorite song. The minimalistic samples, the intelligent lyrics, the back and fourth between Phife and Q-Tip. I knew at that point all I had listened to before was rap, and this was hip-hop. I have bought the album this song is on 4 times after stolen discs and tapes that I have worn out. This is the first album I ever bought on vinyl.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    1) Strapping Young Lad- Detox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrNOqVZbwWw

When i first discovered SYL and Devin Townsend in 97' i never truly knew the kind of experience musically that i would have. Sure, for years on up to that point certain songs/bands always struck
    some kind of cord with me but never on a REAL intimate level. Everything this man touches turns to
    gold with me and effects me either emotionally or comically depending on the song. But this song which was one of the first ones i ever heard from him is not only aggressive but it strikes deep within also with the lyrical content for me. One verse in particular happens at the 2:55 mark when Devin goes into "

I Was Warned
    Absolutley Numb
    No Good Around People
    Everyone Knows And Watches Me

How Did I Get Here Tonight?
    What Am I Doing Here?
    How Did I Reach This STATE?
    How Did I Lose My Sight?

I'm Lost ... I'm FREAKING
    And Everybody Knows ... Everyone's Watching

...So Here's All My Hopes And Aspirations
    Nothing But Puke
    God I'M So Lonely..."

Obviously this song was around at one of my darkest times in my life and things have been much better since but the song still stands as my alltime favorite and was a big help getting through tough times.
    Townsend is a pretty good musician. I am not a very big fan of his SYL stuff though, little too rough for me.

10. The Following User High Fived oobehr For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

2. Pharcyde - Passin' Me By

I was so afraid of girls in High School. Probably due to my lack of a strong male role model, or I was just full of shit. Either way, this song spoke to me on so many levels on my inability to talk to girls, recognize any interest in me, and my fear of rejection. follows:
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Continuing, I guess...

6) Oasis - "Champagne Supernova"

In my mind, this is the ultimate chill song. Beginning with the quiet roll of tides over the song itself, the music plays itself into just a beautifully dormant piece, refined even further by Gallingher's almost hypnotic voice. References to drugs, psychedelia ("caught between a landslide/in a champagne supernova in the sky"), and lonesome apathy dominate the lyrics. But I'm hardly listening to that. The riffs here just enhance the lyrics, and even the solo section keeps the relaxing aspect heavy (probably because they were stoned in the writing, production, and recording of the song) in its work, slowly tapering off into the same hypnotic phrases, and then the patter of a snare closing the song out as the tones fade out. Very consistent.

7) Sublime - "What I Got"

Symbolically, I like the message of this song. It's basically casting away all of the things that our culture deems important, and puts life into perspective. Awesome.

Then, musically, elements of rock and reggae are the perfect matches for the message; the wholeness, the completeness of the song is what I like. That, the ridiculous acoustic riff (like a motha****in riot), and the reggae/rap-blended lyrics soup up the song and Sublime overall as one of the most original bands to ever grace the planet, yet gain so much popularity. RIP Bradley.

8) Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Under the Bridge"

It epitomizes the RHCP in a brief 4 minutes (I highly encourage picking up Scar Tissue and giving it a read, as well.) Their live performances really outstrip the studio version, because it's even more passionate; I mean, the passion just seeps from Kiedis' skin in the music video, the live performances just radiate it. Fantastic composing and performance of a fantastic song. Can't really take too much more to explain my sentiment over it.

9) Frank Sinatra - "Merry Little Christmas"

Since I adore the holiday season, especially its music, as well as the old vocal-performance years of the Rat Pack and all that, I thought it'd be fair to throw this one on the list, though I really couldn't pinpoint one single song that deserves a spot. This song is super nostalgic to me, and during the season makes me feel at ease. Something about it, combined with the coldness of the winter season, is intoxicating and warming.

10) Tenacious D - "Tribute"

This song is pure entertainment to me, especially for the lyric work. Telling an epic tale, while still maintaining some sort of sustenance to musicality is impressive, and then this song sets a new standard, in my eyes. It's the modern version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."

That, and it's funny as shit. My first time hearing this, I had no idea that this was going to be as comedic as it was.

This is not the greatest song in the world, no.
    This is just a tribute
    Couldn't remember the greatest song in the world, yeah
    No, this is a tribute

Then throw in Dave Groehl in the music video, a good guitar part, and some epic word mastery ("And we said 'nay, we are but men.' Rock on!"). This song is creative bliss to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

13. The Following 6 Users High Fived Broncospsycho77 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

The Cure - Just Like Heaven
    The ultimate love song. Lyrics are poetic and real. The dreamy guitar riffs and that piano are great. Beautiful song.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    Simple, yet so heartfelt. The lyrics are philosophical and make me think. Instrumentation is great as well, musical saw and horns along with acoustic guitar.

The Beatles - Norweigian Wood
    Catchy guitar part, the sitar is a nice addition, and good melodies. The lyrics are so clever and brilliant.

The Velvet Underground - Heroin
    Great song. I love how it goes from simple and slow, to fast and chaotic. Genius.

Radiohead - 2+2=5
    Great guitar work, lyrics are neat and deal with 1984.

Terminal - Dark
    It's just a great song.

Blind Melon - Change
    Wonderful lyrics. Guitar is great, plus theres mandolin and harmonica which make the song unique.

Guns N' Roses - November Rain
    The most impressive GnR song easily. That piano is great and Slash's greatest guitar performance in my opinion.

Rush - La Villa Strangiato
    What a performance. Shows the skills of all 3 members on instruments.

Digable Planets - Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)
    Chill all the way around.

I've already changed my songs ha.
    Last edited by aberdien; 05-03-2009 at 10:39 PM.

In no particular order......hard to pick my all time top 10...but here it goes:

1. Boston.................."Peace of Mind"......that's all I want.....listen to the lyrics....and the guitar...

2. Saraya.................."Love Has Taken Its Toll"....very underrated late 80's band.....and that lady could sing.......

3.Pink Floyd................'Time"....the starter of this thread is right on about this song.

4.AC/DC...................."For Those About To Rock"...............we salute you.....all time favorite hard rock song.

5.Boston......................"Foreplay/Long Time".........again.....listen to the lyrics......and did I mention the guitar?

6.Boston......................"Cool The Engines"............slow down.....enjoy life...and did I mention the guitar?

7.Foreigner..................."Feels Like The First Time".....Lou Gramm could belt out the songs.

8.Loverboy..................."Lovin Every Minute Of It"......another underrated band

9. Billy Idol..................."Rock The Cradle Of Love"......my wife and I heard this song all the time when we were dating.....so this is our song..

10. Boston...................."Let Me Take You Home Tonight"......once again....it's all about the lyrics.....and Brad Delp had a helluva voice....rip....
    and did I mention the guitar??

Honorable mention:

Aerosmith ......."Sweet Emotion"

Stevie Nixx......."Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"

Argent............."Hold Your Head Up"

Offspring.........."Gone Away"

Iron Maiden......."Somewhere In Time"
    Last edited by broncophan; 05-03-2009 at 05:53 AM.
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

It's hard for me to do a top ten since I listen to all genres, so I'd have to pick from hundreds. And then I have to seperate my favorites from songs that are actually meaningful, so that takes out all of Barry Manilow, The Bee Gees and Air Supply, each of whom have at least 10 songs in my Top 100.

My list falls along Orange Hoof's list. Some popular, an instrumental, a foreign song that was translated to me once and I've since forgotten, one from a video game, three from the same album, and one that was just plain funky.

1) Imagine - John Lennon
    I first heard this song about a day after he was killed. And any song with pianos gets my attention. Today we can still ask the same questions that may never get realized.

2) What A Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers
    Perfect song for idiots who just can't let a girl go. Dude, she doesn't want you!!!

3) "Vide Cor Meum"
    This is from the Hannibal Soundtrack, played during the opera scene. I can't get enough of it. My sister-in-law somewhat translated the meaning, but I was crying loudly over the beauty of the harmonies, so I didn't hear what she said.

4) Inner City Blues, What's Going On, Mercy Mercy Me - Marvin Gaye
    I'm cheating on this one. These are all from the same album and intertwine around the same subjects: Vietnam War, poverty, drug abuse, chaos, the enviornment, overall sadness in the world. For those who've never heard these songs, they're not the same song. Each was a #1 Billboard hit, one after the other, and focused solely on one issue, while touching on the others. The album is universally recognized in the Top-10 of all lists that don't limit to one genre.

5) Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos - Public Enemy
    I could put dozens of Public Enemy songs, but since this one has pianos.. Plus it contains one of the most famous lines in Hip Hop history to start the song:

I got a letter from the government
    The other day
    I opened and read it
    It said they were suckers

6) Love Theme - Barry White & The Love Orchestra Unlimited
    An instrumental yes, but a great song to make love to. And it's four minutes long, so that's PLENTY of time.

7) Lullaby - Silent Hill 4 Soundtrack
    Just listen. It's a perfect bedtime story.

8) You're So Vain - Carly Simon
    Will we ever know who this song is about... unless your name is D!ck Ebersol or Howard Stern?

9) Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix
    Two Words: Hulk Hogan. A funky blues joint, I couldn't leave it out. I strut to the bedroom with this song.

10) Stayin Alive - The Bee Gees
    I'm sorry, I have to put it on. It's a classic and you KNOW it! It's not my favorite Bee Gees tune but if you've seen the movie Airplane!...

Shout out to Air Supply.

17. The Following User High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

While I still wouldn't put it in my top 10, I should also acknowledge "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen as an excellent arrangement that was a hit despite breaking rules. Also entered the pop culture subconscious after "Wayne's World". Not really a favorite of mine but it was envelope-breaking and very well performed.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

19. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

First I will say my list will look very weird probably because of my eclectic taste in music.

1. The Tossers version of Crock of Gold
    I love this song. It's part ballad and part raucous punk song. It is a classic.

2. Shane MacGowan and the Popes Nancy Whiskey
    Who better to sing a song about alcoholism than a slurring Shane MacGowan?

3. Tom Waits~Bottom of the World
    Quite possibly my favorite song ever in terms of songwriting. Tom is called the poet laureate of street degenerates and I believe this song is the perfect example of why. The last verse just may be the finest ever written.

4. Warren Zevon~Mr. Bad Example
    Warren Zevon will always be one of my favorites. "I took a part time job at my father's carpet store. Laying tackless stripping and housewives by the score" I love that line, who wouldn't?

5. The Pogues~If I Should Fall From Grace With God
    Another great song by a great band. If you can't tell, I kinda like Irish Punk music.

6. Tom Waits~Never Let Go
    Another great example of Tom Waits' song writing prowess.

7. Johnny Cash~Sunday Morning Coming Down
    My favorite Johnny Cash song has to make the list right? And this song was also written by Kris Kristoferson, who is a very good but somewhat underrated song writer.

8. Flogging Molly~Devil's Dance Floor
    This song is a toe tapper for sure. The best live song from one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

9. Jimmy Buffet~12 volt Man (couldn't find a youtube vid for it sorry)
    If you know the song then you know that there may be no better life than the one that the 12 volt man lives. Margaritas and senoritas FTW.

10. Social Distortion~Story Of My Life
    One of the quintessential American punk songs from one of the quintessential American punk bands. Mike Ness is as cool as it gets.
    Last edited by chazoe60; 05-03-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

21. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information