Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stafford tells former teammate #1 pick is a done deal

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Default Stafford tells former teammate #1 pick is a done deal

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/13/r...are-a-done-de/

Matt Stafford Reportedly Telling Georgia Teammates Lions Are a 'Done Deal'
    Posted Apr 13, 2009 10:30PM By Will Brinson (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Lions, NFL Draft, NFL Media Watch, NFL Rumors

Matthew Stafford is the consensus No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, but with anything the Lions do, there are, of course, no guarantees.

But the possibility of Stafford taking snaps in a snazzy new Detroit uniform seems more and more likely as the draft approaches, especially if you believe Mike Florio's recent report at ProFootballTalk.com.

As we hear it, Stafford is telling his former Bulldog teammates that he'll be the pick, and that he'll receive more than $40 million, guaranteed, under the contract that the team will pay him.

Stafford is characterizing the move as a "done deal."

Now, it's one thing to tell former teammates that you're "pretty sure it will work with the Lions" in April. It's an entirely different thing to start throwing out words like "done deal," if the report is correct, especially when they're coupled with the phrase "$40 million contract."

Stafford would probably be wise to have his agent make a statement utilizing the phrase, "unsure what the hell everyone's talking about."

Of course, whether or not Stafford should be the No. 1 pick is debatable, despite the ex-Bulldog's confidence

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Poor kid.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    John Lynch (I dont care that he's not a Bronco anymore)

Lol I don't think that Stafford is taking this news very well. You're not supposed to be happy that you're going to the Lions

- Thanks to Roddoliver for the sig!!

Not A Born Leader, I'm A Tough Act To Follow

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

If this is done deal I wonder how that will impact the rest of draft?

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Lol I don't think that Stafford is taking this news very well. You're not supposed to be happy that you're going to the Lions
    With $40 million guaranteed I'm sure he is happy. If you suck you are still set for life. If you are good then you can bring back a franchise from the dead. Sounds pretty nice to me.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

If this is true, $40 million guaranteed? Can't wait for a rookie salary cap to be put in place during the next CBA talks. That is a ridiculous amount to pay anyone who hasn't played a down in the NFL!

9. The Following 9 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Poor kid.
    yea, it's gotta be tough getting publicly humiliated for only $40 million. . . . of course, clay would do it for a six-pack of natty ice and a handjob from a crack head. . . .

now if somebody like seattle will just take sanchez, it'll be a real weight off my mind on draft day. . . .

unfortunately, it's hard to see them passing on smith, monroe or curry. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    yea, it's gotta be tough getting publicly humiliated for only $40 million. . . . of course, clay would do it for a six-pack of natty ice and a handjob from a crack head. . . .

now if somebody like seattle will just take sanchez, it'll be a real weight off my mind on draft day. . . .

Lets elaborate a little....Sanchez and freeman.

I doubt that we would target freeman, but if we were actually to target sanchez by moving up then i wouldnt put the idiocy past them to settle for freeman.

Ideally, the jets? trade up with SD? for freeman. THen we dont have to worry about SD taking one of our guys.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

13. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

With Hasselbeck getting up there in years they have to starting looking for a replacement sooner or later and hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    If this is true, $40 million guaranteed? Can't wait for a rookie salary cap to be put in place during the next CBA talks. That is a ridiculous amount to pay anyone who hasn't played a down in the NFL!
    I was about to type the same thing, crazy money for a rookie.

16. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Lets elaborate a little....Sanchez and freeman.

I doubt that we would target freeman, but if we were actually to target sanchez by moving up then i wouldnt put the idiocy past them to settle for freeman.

Ideally, the jets? trade up with SD? for freeman. THen we dont have to worry about SD taking one of our guys.
    I can't see us targeting a quarterback in the first round.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 04-14-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Mike Florio...unnamed sources...I'll believe it when I see it.

How come I'm the only one that doesn't care how much the rookies get? Seems like a lot of people do a lot of worrying about this as if its goign to change anything in the future.

But either way... its always high and people will always be bothered I guess

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    How come I'm the only one that doesn't care how much the rookies get? Seems like a lot of people do a lot of worrying about this as if its goign to change anything in the future.

But either way... its always high and people will always be bothered I guess
    They get way more than rookies from any other sport and it is way too much to commit to a player that has never played a down in the NFL. I don't mind them getting paid, but $40 million guaranteed is getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Poor kid.
    Well said...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information