Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bcbronc's bronco mock w/trade

Default bcbronc's bronco mock w/trade

for my mock, I decided to include a trade. but first, a quick note on my methodology.

to give a sense of "value" I used the prospect rankings on NFLDraftscouts.com and Scout.com.

to get a sense of "availability" I used three mocks:

Draft Tek (7 rounds): http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp
    Football Futures (7 rounds): http://www.thefootballexpert.com/mockdraft.html
    Walter Football (5 rounds): http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php

if a player was available on 2 of 3, I considered him on the board.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    so here we go.

#12 TRADED to PHI for #21 and #53. Deal makes sense on a lot of fronts. Points wise, the deal is within 30. Philly has 12 picks, 3 in the first two rounds. They're a team that will deal to get the player they want. Lots of possibility that Philly and Wash. (#13) would have the same OT targeted.

1a(18): Percy Harvin. WR

Arguably the most versatile offensive player in the draft. can line up at WR, in the backfield, or take the snap in the Wildcat. not the most polished WR in the draft, but the kind of player that can take a hitch or a screen to the house--perfect for McDaniels offense. gives us some Marshall insurance, and a spread with Royal, Marshall, and Harvin is going to be a DC headache.

1b(21-from PHI): Ron Brace. NT

Yeah, it's a "reach". using my checks listed above, Brace would be available at 48. But NT is too important to take that chance. depending what your thoughts are on Raji at NT, Brace is either the 1st or 2nd rated 34 NT in this draft. with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, you can give up some value to address your #1 team need.

2a(48): Jarron Gilbert. DE.

Long, strong, and athletic. Instantly upgrades the athleticism and versatility of our DL.

2b(53-from PHI): William Moore. SS

Gets a couple of years making plays on special teams while learning behind one of the best.

3a(79): David Bruton. FS

Centre-fielder with good size and strong against the run. scouting reports rave about his play on special teams. Bruton, Moore, and Barrett leave us in pretty good shape at S.

3b(84): David Veikune. LB.

an all-out motor guy, not a great 40 time but strong as an ox and good feet. some scouting reports project him as an ILB (one even compares him to Ted Bruschi, heh) but I look at him as a SOLB who's strong at the POA, quick enough to stay with backs and TEs on the underneath routes, and some pass-rush ability.

4(114): Terrance Taylor. NT.

I know I already reached on a NT. But the position is too important, and DTs bust to often, to put all our eggs in one big basket. If both work out to any decent degree, we'll easily be able to recoup a 4th round investment. plus, with Taylor's wrestling background, there's potential that he'll have the feet to be a stout POA 34 DE.

5(149): AQ Shipley. C.

This is considered a deep draft at C, and we have a need for one more interior line man. Shipley gets accolades like smart, tough, aggessive and nasty. put up the highest bench press total at C, while also scoring near the top in the shuttle and cone drills. should finish off our line from tackle to tackle for the next few years.

6(185): Joe Burnett. CB/KR

I actually don't think he'll be here at this spot, but he was in my criteria above. But 5 ST TDs and 16 picks gets noticed by scouts, even if it is at a smaller school. I draft him as a return guy, and let him compete for the nickle and dime roles. but on draft day, I'm not shocked if he gets taken in the third.

7a(225): Robert Francois. OLB.

A project LB drafted on the strength of being Boston College's special teamer of the year.

7b(235): Chase Holbrook. QB.

Big QB with good size and good numbers in a spread offense.

and there it is. addresses all three facets of the game and fills most of the holes on defense, while giving a year to see whether either Doom or Moss can provide some pass rush while standing up.
    If not me, who?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

I hate the Percy Harvin pick. He's just got too many character questions for us to pick him to play a position that we don't need help at.

Other than that though I like this draft. I would be really happy with it.

I like Brace and Gilbert for the D-line. I wouldn't mind addressing our LB's earlier too now that I think about it.

I also like that you got two NT prospects, I think that's how many we are going to need bust insurance and a developmental guy.

3. The Following 4 Users High Fived Fan in Exile For This Post:

i honestly just hate trades in people mocks.

but i also hate harvin, hes something we DO NOT need, we have royal already

like the rest of the draft though although we NEED a rush LB if we are to run the 3-4
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived SBboundBRONCOS For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    John Lynch (I dont care that he's not a Bronco anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    i honestly just hate trades in people mocks.

but i also hate harvin, hes something we DO NOT need, we have royal already

like the rest of the draft though although we NEED a rush LB if we are to run the 3-4
    Me too. Trades in the draft are one of the most unpredictable things...

I stopped reading this mock when it said "Percy Harvin"

EDIT: I forced myself to read the rest of the draft, and it's not too shabby. Actually I like it a lot. But I'm not so sure about William Moore. He is slipping as fast as Darnell Bing, the once amazing safety of USC who hasn't done shit in the NFL.

I agree about taking Ron Brace. He won't last into the 2nd round because he's one of the top 2 Nose tackles for a 3-4. If Raji doesn't fall to us at 12, grab Ron Brace and Terrence Taylor. It's perfect.
    Last edited by getlynched47; 04-13-2009 at 10:47 AM.

- Thanks to Roddoliver for the sig!!

Not A Born Leader, I'm A Tough Act To Follow

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Solid effort but i do dislike some of the picks but not all of them.

Hate the Harvin pick. Not so much for the player but the position which i think if we add a WR it can be done in the 4-5th round if needed. If we were going to go offense with the 18th i would take a RB. But even then i think there are some good backs in the later rounds so im really wanting defense in the first round. Also, im fine with Moore but there is no need to take another Safety right after that. Especially if you can get a guy like Hodge in the 6th or 7th. But the other selections are great.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post

Hate the Harvin pick. Not so much for the player but the position which i think if we add a WR it can be done in the 4-5th round if needed. If we were going to go offense with the 18th i would take a RB. But even then i think there are some good backs in the later rounds so im really wanting defense in the first round. Also, im fine with Moore but there is no need to take another Safety right after that. Especially if you can get a guy like Hodge in the 6th or 7th. But the other selections are great.
    I, personally, think the Harvin pick would be like the Ted Ginn, Jr., pick for Miami a few years back. Glorified return man. Of course, we all thought the same of Royal last year.

Man, could you imagine the reaction in Denver if McDaniels announced that pick like Cameron did in Miami? Ouch.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I, personally, think the Harvin pick would be like the Ted Ginn, Jr., pick for Miami a few years back. Glorified return man. Of course, we all thought the same of Royal last year.

Man, could you imagine the reaction in Denver if McDaniels announced that pick like Cameron did in Miami? Ouch.
    Actually, i was one of the few that wanted Royal but thought he would be strickly a return guy. I loved that pick though. If we did take a WR i would rather it be someone like Nicks but its obviously not my first choice with a first round pick.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I agree with Nothman it's nice effort on your part but I think trading to get Harvin is not such a good idea and while I agree nose tackle is a must I don't think Denver will have to reach to get at least one.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

I actually like this draft, besides the fact that I've cooled on Brace and Gilbert quite a bit. I don't mind Harvin at #18 at all; and the reasoning you gave is excellent in regards to why he'd be a quality selection. I could see McDaniels going for a player like him.

15. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post

So I have one of the fastest cars on the track and bad brakes. I have enough
    money to do one thing to improve the car. So I bore and stroke the engine to
    get a few more MPH out of it?

I'm going to schedule anger management classes in advance, just in case they
    draft an offensive player on the first day.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    So I have one of the fastest cars on the track and bad brakes. I have enough
    money to do one thing to improve the car. So I bore and stroke the engine to
    get a few more MPH out of it?

I'm going to schedule anger management classes in advance, just in case they
    draft an offensive player on the first day.

-----
    Horrible if they draft an offensive player in rounds 1 and 2.

In 3, I could see them drafting like a center or a Runningback though...

Looks like you better start scheduling those anger management appointments early.

20. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Looks like you better start scheduling those anger management appointments early.
    I want moreno at 18. Screw all of you.

22. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Why? Have you heard something through the grape vine?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I want moreno at 18. Screw all of you.
    No! Don't go to the darkside Clay! We signed 3 scrub runningbacks this offseason...remember?

25. The Following User High Fived getlynched47 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information