Thread: My Personal Draft Scenario

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

Talking My Personal Draft Scenario

It's a Saturday and I'm bored out of my mind with nothing to do, so I thought I would just share the possible scenarios for the upcoming draft.

In the 1st round, the Broncos own the 12th and 18th picks. With B.J. Raji being gone to either the Raiders or the Packers, the Broncos draft Tyson Jackson with the 12th pick. With the Broncos progressively switching to the 3-4 (it has been said that they will do a hybrid defense this upcoming season) and Jackson being the best 3-4 DE in the draft (who's stock has been rapidly rising), it makes perfect sense to nab him there.

That leaves pick 18. Most mock drafts I've seen have the Broncos taking Rey Maualuga at that spot. There is no question that he is a playmaker and a beast inside. He would be a perfect pickup for an ILB in a 3-4 defense. But the Broncos have too many holes to fill in a defense that ranked nearly dead-last last season.

So hear me out. The Broncos trade the 18th pick and their 5th round pick at 141 to the Cleveland Browns for their two 2nd rounders. The Browns own two 2nd round picks at 36 and 50. According to the Draft Point Value Chart on Sportznutz.com, the 18th pick is worth 900 points and the 141st pick is worth 35.5, which then add up to 935.5. The Browns 36th and 50th pick are worth 540 and 400 points respectively, which add up to 900. It's a difference of .5.

With all that said and done, the Broncos would now own the 12th, 36th, 48th, 50th, 79th, and 85th. That's 6 draft picks in the first day alone and 6 opportunities to build a defense from the ground up that can possibly be top 10-15 for the next 10 years!

Here is my mock draft for their 1st day.

Round 1:

12-Tyson Jackson

Round 2:

36-Patrick Chung
    48-Clint Sintim
    50-Ron Brace

Round 3:

79-Jairus Byrd
    85-Rashad Jennings

With the Broncos trading with the Browns, I viewed this as an opportunity to bolster an aging secondary. Being in Los Angeles and getting all the USC and UCLA games, I got to watch Oregon very closely. Patrick Chung is one of the top safeties in this draft class. He plays best in the box and is effective against the run. Great combination of size and speed (5'7" 205 lbs., 40 yard dash time in the 4.50's). He can also play man-to-man coverage and has great leadership qualities. He can learn a ton from Brian Dawkins.

Chung's teammate at Oregon, Jairus Byrd, is another guy I like and have seen closely. Byrd played CB at Oregon, but because of his size (6'0" 204 lbs.), he could possibly be viewed at Safety. But because of his size, his weakness of being burned one on one can be exploited. Thus, he is much better playing in a zone. He can make the open field tackles and plays well against the run.

Anyway, I've actually thought about this for the past couple of days. But I've only have it come into fruition today.

So, what do you guys think? I'd love to have your thoughts on this.
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived ikillz0mbies For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    John Lynch (I dont care that he's not a Bronco anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by ikillz0mbies View Post
    It's a Saturday and I'm bored out of my mind with nothing to do, so I thought I would just share the possible scenarios for the upcoming draft.

In the 1st round, the Broncos own the 12th and 18th picks. With B.J. Raji being gone to either the Raiders or the Packers, the Broncos draft Tyson Jackson with the 12th pick. With the Broncos progressively switching to the 3-4 (it has been said that they will do a hybrid defense this upcoming season) and Jackson being the best 3-4 DE in the draft (who's stock has been rapidly rising), it makes perfect sense to nab him there.

That leaves pick 18. Most mock drafts I've seen have the Broncos taking Rey Maualuga at that spot. There is no question that he is a playmaker and a beast inside. He would be a perfect pickup for an ILB in a 3-4 defense. But the Broncos have too many holes to fill in a defense that ranked nearly dead-last last season.

So hear me out. The Broncos trade the 18th pick and their 5th round pick at 141 to the Cleveland Browns for their two 2nd rounders. The Browns own two 2nd round picks at 36 and 50. According to the Draft Point Value Chart on Sportznutz.com, the 18th pick is worth 900 points and the 141st pick is worth 35.5, which then add up to 935.5. The Browns 36th and 50th pick are worth 540 and 400 points respectively, which add up to 900. It's a difference of .5.

With all that said and done, the Broncos would now own the 12th, 36th, 48th, 50th, 79th, and 85th. That's 6 draft picks in the first day alone and 6 opportunities to build a defense from the ground up that can possibly be top 10-15 for the next 10 years!

Here is my mock draft for their 1st day.

Round 1:

12-Tyson Jackson

Round 2:

36-Patrick Chung
    48-Clint Sintim
    50-Ron Brace

Round 3:

79-Jairus Byrd
    85-Rashad Jennings

With the Broncos trading with the Browns, I viewed this as an opportunity to bolster an aging secondary. Being in Los Angeles and getting all the USC and UCLA games, I got to watch Oregon very closely. Patrick Chung is one of the top safeties in this draft class. He plays best in the box and is effective against the run. Great combination of size and speed (5'7" 205 lbs., 40 yard dash time in the 4.50's). He can also play man-to-man coverage and has great leadership qualities. He can learn a ton from Brian Dawkins.

Chung's teammate at Oregon, Jairus Byrd, is another guy I like and have seen closely. Byrd played CB at Oregon, but because of his size (6'0" 204 lbs.), he could possibly be viewed at Safety. But because of his size, his weakness of being burned one on one can be exploited. Thus, he is much better playing in a zone. He can make the open field tackles and plays well against the run.

Anyway, I've actually thought about this for the past couple of days. But I've only have it come into fruition today.

So, what do you guys think? I'd love to have your thoughts on this.
    Sounds pretty good.............................for Madden.

Ron Brace is a 1st round pick. There's no doubt in my mind. Why? Because there are 3-4 teams in need of a Nose Tackle and there are 3 or 4 new defenses transitioning into a 3-4 defense, which also need a Nose Tackle.

I would also say that Clint Sintim is a late 1st round pick. The dude is a stud. I like Sintim and I hope he lasts into the 2nd round, but I just don't see it happening.

Patrick Chung is an okay safety, but I would rather go for somebody like Chip Vaughn or Michael Hamlin in the 3rd round, both offer great tackling ability to go along with great size. Chung is too undersized for my taste to be an in the box kind of safety, and isn't fast enough to play center field.

I would keep the picks the way we have them. I would grab Jackson at 12, then Ron Brace at 18. Yeah it's a reach for Brace, but he won't last into the 2nd round and we desperately need a Nose Tackle.

In the second round, I think we go for the best Inner/Outer Linebacker available. I would pray that Clint Sintim is sitting here waiting for us.

- Thanks to Roddoliver for the sig!!

Not A Born Leader, I'm A Tough Act To Follow

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Quote Originally Posted by ikillz0mbies View Post
    According to the Draft Point Value Chart on Sportznutz.com, the 18th pick is worth 900 points and the 141st pick is worth 35.5, which then add up to 935.5. The Browns 36th and 50th pick are worth 540 and 400 points respectively, which add up to 900. It's a difference of .5.

math fail

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    math fail
    Well, I think he meant 940, instead of 900...so it would be more along the lines of "typing fail."

But...the question is...who are the Browns moving up to get? There has to be a reason for the Browns to lose two second round picks.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Yea, I'm not buying it. Unless a team has a desperate need for a certain player at that draft position they are leery about moving up. With everything being such a crap shoot, you want more chances to draft a decent player.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Well, I think he meant 940, instead of 900...so it would be more along the lines of "typing fail."

But...the question is...who are the Browns moving up to get? There has to be a reason for the Browns to lose two second round picks.
    Ha yes. Typing fail.
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

chung too small for SS

Bob Sanders too small? wait about Jim Leonhard?

and Brace will not be a 1st rd pick, you've said that enough lynch
    Wishlist -
    Rey Maualuga (that right Lynch?)
    Tyson Jackson
    Connor Barwin
    Shonn Greene
    Dominique Johnson
    Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Jean - Francis
    Graham Harrell
    Patrick Turner

10. The Following User High Fived bullis26 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I like having the 18th pick. If we did trade back from it, I wouldn't wanna move back any further than 20 or 21 (Det or Phi).

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information