Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nick Adenhart Killed in Car Crash

Default Nick Adenhart Killed in Car Crash

Nick Adenhart, a rookie pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels, died in a car crash early Thursday morning, just hours after pitching in a game in Anaheim.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to ESPN.com that Adenhart had been killed in a car accident.

Wednesday night, Adenhart had pitched six scoreless innings, giving up seven hits, striking out five and walking three in just his fourth major league start.

According to multiple reports out of the Los Angeles area, three people were killed in the three-car crash in Fullerton, Calif. One person was reported to be seriously injured.

According to the Los Angeles Times, witnesses told police that the driver of a red minivan blew through a red light and hit a Mitsubishi carrying four people.

The Times reported that the minivan's driver ran from the scene, but was arrested about a mile away.

sadness

It's amazing to me how so many people lose their lives on the road.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Stories like this make me glad I live in Iowa.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

will somebody end up being drunk after all this is sorted out?

most likely

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Terrible story - most likely alcohol or something. Prayers for strength and courage for his family.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

8. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Hoes...I already posted this....but yes this is sad...too young to die.I am glad they caught the person who caused this.

10. The Following User High Fived KCL For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KCL View Post
    Hoes...I already posted this....but yes this is sad...too young to die.I am glad they caught the person who caused this.
    sorry dear... i looked for it... where did u post it?

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBronkHoes View Post
    sorry dear... i looked for it... where did u post it?
    It was in this forum but no problem...I just deleted it.
    Actually I think you may have posted yours first.

Stories like this suck...this guy had his whole career ahead of him...not to mention his whole life.

RIP Young Man!

13. The Following User High Fived KCL For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KCL View Post
    It was in this forum but no problem...I just deleted it.
    sorry babe..... i thought i looked

Sad sad news
    I just watched him pitch last night. Its crazy how 1 day hes here and 1 day hes not.
    Too many people die at a young age.
    RIP
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoBJ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I guess some people here in Cedar Rapids are taking this a little hard since he spent two years here pitching for the Kernels (an Angels farm team).
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Read about it this morning...very sad.

Adopted Bronco:

Updated article
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...oYY&refer=home

April 9 (Bloomberg) -- Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart died this morning of injuries sustained when his car was struck by a vehicle that ran a red light hours after his fourth Major League Baseball start. He was 22.

Adenhart was transported to the University of California- Irvine Medical Center shortly after midnight Los Angeles time and died after surgery, hospital spokesman John Murray said in a telephone interview.

The Angels postponed tonight’s home game against the Oakland Athletics, at the direction of baseball Commissioner Bud Selig.

“The Angels family has suffered a tremendous loss today,” General Manager Tony Reagins said in a statement. “We are deeply saddened and shocked by this tragic loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Nick’s family, friends, loved ones and fans.”

Two others riding with Adenhart, including the female driver, also were killed when the operator of a van ran a red light and broadsided their car in Fullerton, California, police said. Their identities weren’t immediately available.

Both died before police and fire department personnel arrived, authorities said.

Suspended License

The van’s driver, 22-year-old Andrew Gallo of Riverside, California, fled the scene on foot and was arrested a half-hour later by Anaheim Police, Fullerton Police said in a press release. His license had been suspended prior to the accident for a previous drunken driving conviction.

Gallo is being treated for injuries sustained in the accident.

The accident occurred hours after Adenhart, a rookie, pitched six shutout innings last night against the Athletics.

Adenhart was listed as the Angels’ No. 3 starting pitcher, with John Lackey, Ervin Santana and Kelvim Escobar all on the disabled list. He earned a spot in the rotation after going 3-0 with a 3.12 earned run average during spring training.

A 14th-round pick in the 2004 draft, Adenhart was regarded as one of the top prospects for the Angels, who have won four of the past five American League Western Division titles. The Silver Spring, Maryland, native went 36-28 in the minor leagues.

“He lived his dream and was blessed to be part of an organization comprised of such warm, caring and compassionate people,” the pitcher’s parents, Jim and Janet Adenhart, said in a statement. “The Angels were his extended family. Thanks to all of Nick’s loyal supporters and fans throughout his career. He will always be in everyone’s hearts forever.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Matuszewski in New York at matuszewski@bloomberg.net

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

20. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Default Angels: First cope emotionally, then try to adjust

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ange...to-adjust.html

The first thing the Angels have to do now will be the most difficult. They have to cope emotionally. They have to find some way to deal with the overwhelming pain and, yes, anger of losing a young, promising, well-liked member of the team in such a tragic accident.

To have a 22-year-old player like Nick Adenhart get killed in a traffic accident is one thing. But to have it caused by an apparent drunk driver with a DUI history makes it even more difficult to accept.

Now the Angels have to try. Having Major League Baseball do the right thing and postpone tonight's game with the Oakland A's will help. It will provide a chance to grieve in private. It will give both team management and Adenhart's teammates time to deal with the feelings and emotions that have come screaming at them like an errant line drive into the stands.

Even those us on the fringes are having difficulty dealing with this. You stare at the box score in the morning newspaper, and there is Adenhart's name, showing that he pitched six shutout innings. The last six innings he will ever pitch.

It all seems so incomprehensible. One moment he is out there, this bright, young star drawing cheers and applause from thousands in the stands. And the next moment he is gone.

Can it really happen that fast? Can life really be that fragile?

The vagaries of fate are just as mystifying. Adenhart was pitching in a major league rotation only because the Angels' three other regular starters, John Lackey, Ervin Santana and Kelvim Escobar, are injured. Had they been healthy, Adenhart more than likely would have been in Salt Lake City, with the club's Triple-A affiliate.

Onemore Unfortunately, in the midst of all this grief, the Angels must also try to address the immediate future. GM Tony Reagins and Manager Mike Scioscia have to get past the numbing realization that this has happened and begin piecing together some kind of pitching blueprint for the next few weeks.

It won't be easy. The depth chart Scioscia talks about so much already had been stretched to the limit. That's why Dustin Moseley and Shane Loux had been penciled in for early-season starts, along with Adenhart.

Now another starter must be found and plugged in until one, or more, of the injured regulars returns. At the moment, there is no one currently in the minor leagues who appears even close to ready for such an assignment.

What does that mean? Maybe a trade. Perhaps an offer to a still unsigned free agent such as Paul Byrd or Pedro Martinez. These are things that will be discussed in the Angels offices, probably as soon as this afternoon.

If it seems like a serious problem, it really isn't when you put it in the context of the day's tragic events. You can always find another pitcher.

But you can't ever replace a young, vibrant 22-year-old's life.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

22. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information