Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Clarification On Orton's Record...

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Fine print:

1. This includes all regular- and post-season games.

2. You might be wondering about era/league effects. It’s easier to win if your defense allows 20 points in the 1961 AFL than it is to win if you defense allows 20 points in the 1974 NFL. Though I didn’t mention it above, I actually did attempt to account for this. What I did was to compute the “average quarterback’s expected wins” for a given category by looking at all games in that category in the same league within two years. For example, if I’m examining Joe Namath’s 1966 season, the expected winning percentage for category (1) games, e.g., is computed by looking at all category (1) AFL games from 1964 to 1968.

Thoughts:

1. Don’t forget that the line labeled “Peyton Manning” is really Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Edgerrin James, Jeff Saturday, Tony Dungy/Jim Mora/Tom Moore, Mike Vanderjagt, and a cast of thousands. What it isn’t, though, is the Colts’ defense. Or at least not as much as Manning’s raw record is. More on this later.

I’ve said before that quarterbacks don’t win games (teams do), and I still believe that. But if people are going to talk about QB wins — and it looks like it’s unfortunately too late to put the lid back on that can of snakes — they may as well try to put them into context. This post is is an effort to do that. To oversimplify things a little (or maybe more), Peyton Manning’s record is the product of the efforts of 22 guys. This exercise attempts to narrow that down to 11.

2. I think this exercise has provided me with a new all-time favorite example of Simpson’s Paradox. Check out Daunte Culpepper and Trent Dilfer:

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Points allowed |
    +------------------+-------------+-----------+------------+------------+------------+
    | QB | 10 or under | 11--15 | 16--20 | 21--25 | 26 or more |
    +------------------+-------------+-----------+------------+------------+------------+
    | Daunte Culpepper | 5-0 1.000 | 7-4 0.636 | 17-6 0.739 | 6-7 0.462 | 8-39 0.170 |
    | Trent Dilfer | 30-5 0.857 | 9-7 0.563 | 13-8 0.619 | 9-12 0.429 | 2-24 0.077 |

Culpepper has him in every category, but Dilfer (63-46) has a better overall record (Culpepper’s is 43-56) because their distribution of opportunities has been so different. Matt Hasselbeck and Bob Griese are another example:

| Points allowed |
    +-----------------+-------------+------------+-------------+------------+------------+
    +-----------------+-------------+------------+-------------+------------+------------+
    | Bob Griese | 53-1 0.981 | 20-7 0.741 | 14-11 0.560 | 7-11 0.389 | 4-31 0.114 |
    | Matt Hasselbeck | 25-0 1.000 | 6-2 0.750 | 12-5 0.706 | 11-8 0.579 | 8-35 0.186 |

And you can pair Marc Bulger with just about anyone. Bart Starr, for instance:

| Points allowed |
    +-------------+-------------+------------+-------------+-------------+------------+
    +-------------+-------------+------------+-------------+-------------+------------+
    | Marc Bulger | 8-0 1.000 | 8-1 0.889 | 8-4 0.667 | 9-6 0.600 | 8-38 0.174 |
    | Bart Starr | 51-3 0.944 | 17-5 0.773 | 20-10 0.667 | 10-15 0.400 | 5-25 0.167 |

3. Starr is barely above average in this analysis. In Part II, where we make a few more adjustments, he’ll actually come out as below average. What are we to make of this? Those hoping for a Starr-is-a-fraud rant at this point will be disappointed. Maybe it’s just because of the soft spot I have for Troy Aikman, who finds himself ranked similarly. Or maybe it’s because I know that points scored and points allowed are correlated. Bart Starr wasn’t playing defense, but he and the rest of his offensive teammates could have, and probably did have, an indirect impact on the number of points the defense allowed. How much of an impact? That’s tough to say, but that’s the case you have to make if you think Starr is an all-time great, or even, frankly, an all-time good. What this does, in my mind, is eliminate the argument that Starr was good at doing just enough for his team to win. He wasn’t any better at that than Marc Bulger or Tony Eason or Randall Cunningham.

Lest you think this is a canned stat-head rant, let me also call attention to Ken Anderson. If there’s one thing that all historical football stat nerds seem to agree on, it’s that Ken Anderson is underrated. But this analysis says otherwise, ranking him dead average.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

2. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

What is the point... The point is Orton benefited from a stupendous defense. It's very easy to say "21-12, he's a winner!" Looking at the W-L column alone doesn't take a scholar anymore than swimming in the kiddie pool requires olympic credentials. It is only when you dig deeper into the story -- which shouldn't be necessary for anyone who actually watched Denver games last year -- that you realize all the holes and realities that the W-L can gloss over.

I refuse to make excuses for Cutler in games he played bad. If he played bad he played bad, but for this argument it is beside the point. What really should be looked for is if he played bad and still won -- this being a team game where that is possible. This never happened. As I've said plenty of times, Cutler never "won" a game which he played sub-75 QB rating. Ever. He has, on the other hand, "lost", something like five 95+ rating games in one year IIRC.

By the same measure, look at Orton's rookie season and tell me he "won" those games, and then do an about face and tell me Cutler "lost" his.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by NameUsedBefore View Post
    What is the point... The point is Orton benefited from a stupendous defense. It's very easy to say "21-12, he's a winner!" Looking at the W-L column alone doesn't take a scholar anymore than swimming in the kiddie pool requires olympic credentials. It is only when you dig deeper into the story -- which shouldn't be necessary for anyone who actually watched Denver games last year -- that you realize all the holes and realities that the W-L can gloss over.

I refuse to make excuses for Cutler in games he played bad. If he played bad he played bad, but for this argument it is beside the point. What really should be looked for is if he played bad and still won -- this being a team game where that is possible. This never happened. As I've said plenty of times, Cutler never "won" a game which he played sub-75 QB rating. Ever. He has, on the other hand, "lost", something like five 95+ rating games in one year IIRC.

By the same measure, look at Orton's rookie season and tell me he "won" those games, and then do an about face and tell me Cutler "lost" his.
    I guess I'm not sure what your argument is, NUB.

Cutler was bad and he lost. Cutler was good and he still lost?

Frankly, that's not a good sign.

It will be discounted by silly excuses, but no matter how you paint it, Cutler was the quarterback that headed the team with the worst divisional collapse EVER.

Ever.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

What I told a friend the other day was

"The offense could have played better, but the defense couldn't have played any worse."
    The bronco chemist.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived LoyalSoldier For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I guess I'm not sure what your argument is, NUB.

Cutler was bad and he lost. Cutler was good and he still lost?

Frankly, that's not a good sign.

It will be discounted by silly excuses, but no matter how you paint it, Cutler was the quarterback that headed the team with the worst divisional collapse EVER.

Ever.
    No, it isn't a good sign when you score plenty of points, play a solid 100+ QB rating game, only to be outdone by Devin Hester returning punts and kicks. The "sign" gets worse when you replace that good QB play -- and ensuing loss -- with average or bad QB play and expect the exact opposite outcome.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

See, the problem with Cutler is that for as many games that the defense lost...and Cutler won...(see San Diego...yes, even sans the bad call)...Cutler lost a lot of games with bad decisions.

The two GLARING games are Oakland at home and Kansas City on the road. That was BAD. Really bad. And the turnover margin is almost strictly on Cutler. And that's not good.

Either way...dude's gone. Time some people get over that fact, or go root for the Bears.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

No, it isn't a good sign when you score plenty of points, play a solid 100+ QB rating game, only to be outdone by Devin Hester returning punts and kicks. The "sign" gets worse when you replace that good QB play -- and ensuing loss -- with average or bad QB play and expect the exact opposite outcome.
    Can you please describe the losses last year to Kansas City and Oakland?

BTW, they had a combined seven wins.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quan Cosby

hmmm interesting, so to summarize; having a complete TEAM is preferable to having a single player who can (possibly) bail you out when certain pieces of your defective overall product arent functioning. very interesting...

i hope orton is the one but i doubt it, take heart though you insufferable broncos maniacs, in this life there will be troubles, but the lord will sustain us...

until we meet in paradise,

farewell,
    ~stephen

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived hotcarl For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rapey Lonnie

Why even bring in orton's rookie season? He got thrown in right away while cutler got to sit most of the season and soak it all in. In 2006 orton didn't even play and in 2007 he played in 3 games. The only season we should look at when comparing Cutler and Orton is last season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Can you please describe the losses last year to Kansas City and Oakland?

BTW, they had a combined seven wins.
    Yes, Cutler played bad. I actually already dealt with this,

If he played bad he played bad, but for this argument it is beside the point.
    Now the discussion is why people think Orton can come in here with his 40-rating "wins" and have the exact opposite outcome.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Quote Originally Posted by Foochacho View Post
    Why even bring in orton's rookie season? He got thrown in right away while cutler got to sit most of the season and soak it all in. In 2006 orton didn't even play and in 2007 he played in 3 games. The only season we should look at when comparing Cutler and Orton is last season.
    Asking the wrong guy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    I don't know if this has been covered, considering the number of Cutler threads, but I did some research on the win/loss records of Kyle Orton (since there are those who think that's the ONLY measurement of a QBs abilities) and it was very interesting.

Basically, Kyle had the benefit of not only playing when the opponent was held to 21 points or less, but he got to play when the opponent was held to 10 points or less.

In 2005, Orton's record was 10-3 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less. However, that is a slightly misleading stat....

In 8 of those games, the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less, something our defense only managed ONE TIME in Cutler's 37 starts. His record in those games was 7-1. Jay won his game for a 1-0 record.

In 2007, Orton's record was 1-1 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points of less. In the win, the defense again held the opponent to 10 points or less.

In 2008, Orton's record was 6-1 when the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less. Once again, a misleading stat, because in three of those games, the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less.

So to summarize....

Orton is 17-5 (.772) in games where the defense held the opponent to 21 points or less, which is worse than Jay's 12-1 record (.923). However, when you consider that 12 of Orton's starts were games where the defense held the opponent to 10 points or less (heck - Plummer or Griese can win a game if the opponent doesn't score any more than that) and Orton's record was 11-1 (.916) in those games, which means that Jay's record as a starter is better when the opponent scores 21 or less than Kyle's record is when the opponent scores 10 or less.

But hey, the defense doesn't matter, does it?

I still don't get this whole argument.

Hey, you know I was your most adamant foe in the Jake debates. I still wear
    Jake's #16 jersey . . . wore it today, in fact.

Yet before we even knew Jay was to become a Bronco, I was a fan of Jay's.
    I'm still a fan of his. He is the most gifted QB in the league, a once-in-a-
    generation talent.

But Jay is gone now. And his replacement is talented in his own right . . . not
    fully at Jay's level, no, but still a talent. Orton has a blistering fastball in the
    short to medium game, his footwork is very good, as well as his pocket
    presence. He reads defenses well, and is uncanny in looking off defenders for
    one so inexperienced.

Which brings up a point I have repeated several times on three boards: Orton
    has only two (2) seasons in the field of play. I don't know why we are trying
    to make him as good as Cutler . . . he isn't. But he is still good, and he fits
    very well into the system McDaniels apparently is implementing.

So I was, and am, a #16 fan; I was, and am, a #6 fan; and now I'm a #8 fan.
    You apparently believe there is one good QB among the three. I believe there
    are three good QBs among the three. Yes, I was upset they let Cutler slip
    through their fingers. But it is what it is; he's gone. So let's look at the bright
    side: that would be in the form of Orton (and a ton of first-day draft picks).

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Now the discussion is why people think Orton can come in here with his 40-rating "wins" and have the exact opposite outcome.
    Cherry-picking his rookie year isn't representative of his performance last year. Especially those first seven games.

I went out and bought Orton's record, I must have misunderstood this thread. It really wasn't my kind of music...

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...th%20Orton.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Cherry-picking his rookie year isn't representative of his performance last year. Especially those first seven games.
    Just last year Orton had two 40-rating games in which he "won".

I guess, at the same time, it isn't fair for me to go back into Cutler's career and point out how many of his "losses" came regardless of his play.... But I'm not the one who constantly brings up "21-12", which is more than a 16-game season.

If you want to go by just last year... If Cutler can play balls out and still be in position to lose against the Chargers at the end of the game, what exactly makes that picture look any prettier with Orton?

25. The Following 4 Users High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information