Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Current LB's

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Default Current LB's

Breaking down the D: Linebackersby Lindsay Jones on April 9, 2009

DENVER — The Broncos currently have seven linebackers on its roster heading into the first minicamp next week. That’s not a lot, so look for the team to add to its depth at the position through the 2009 draft.
    But like we did yesterday with defensive linemen, let’s look at who actually is already here, and see how these guys might contribute in Mike Nolan’s new 3-4 defense:
    D.J. Williams: A team captain in 2008, Williams has played every linebacker in a 3-4, and the new defense means yet another position change. But Williams is athletic and versatile enough that he should be able to handle it. The question now is if Williams, 6-1, 240, is better suited to play inside or outside linebacker, because he should be able to line up at either spot.
    Boss Bailey: Bailey has somewhat been the forgotten man in the defensive reshuffling after the 2008 season because of the season-ending knee injury he suffered in late October. But Bailey could be a key component to a 3-4 defense. A natural outside linebacker, Bailey was the lynch pin to the success the Broncos had in when it experimented with that scheme last fall because of his ability to both line up in the box and drop back in pass coverage.
    Wesley Woodyard: The undrafted rookie in 2008 quickly became a fan favorite for the job he did filling in when Williams was injured in November. He’s athletic, fast and a quick learner, but it is unclear how he will fit into the 3-4. Expect Woodyard to be one of the top special teams players, as well.
    Spencer Larsen: He’s still listed as a fullback/linebacker on the Broncos roster, but Larsen wants his long-term career to be on defense. He is a natural middle linebacker who must play inside in the 3-4. Like Woodyard, Larsen should be a top player on special teams once again in 2009.
    Louis Green: On the Broncos’ roster since 2003, Green is one of the longest tenured Broncos, mostly because of his special teams play. No reason to believe at this point that his role will change much in 2009.
    Mario Haggan: At 6-3, 262, Haggan is one of the tam’s biggest and most versatile linebackers. The new coaching staff is looking for guys who can play a variety of roles, and Haggan could be one of them.
    Andra Davis: The newcomer of the bunch — he signed as a free agent from Cleveland — Davis has the most experience in the 3-4 defense, which will be crucial to helping his new teammates pick up the intricacies of the system. He’s also a proven leader and has a strong locker room presence. Expect him to start at one of the two inside linebacker positions.

No mention of Doom or Moss but my assumtion is they will both be tried as OLB's in the 3/4

2. The Following 11 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    Breaking down the D: Linebackersby Lindsay Jones on April 9, 2009

DENVER — The Broncos currently have seven linebackers on its roster heading into the first minicamp next week. That’s not a lot, so look for the team to add to its depth at the position through the 2009 draft.
    But like we did yesterday with defensive linemen, let’s look at who actually is already here, and see how these guys might contribute in Mike Nolan’s new 3-4 defense:
    D.J. Williams: A team captain in 2008, Williams has played every linebacker in a 3-4, and the new defense means yet another position change. But Williams is athletic and versatile enough that he should be able to handle it. The question now is if Williams, 6-1, 240, is better suited to play inside or outside linebacker, because he should be able to line up at either spot.
    Boss Bailey: Bailey has somewhat been the forgotten man in the defensive reshuffling after the 2008 season because of the season-ending knee injury he suffered in late October. But Bailey could be a key component to a 3-4 defense. A natural outside linebacker, Bailey was the lynch pin to the success the Broncos had in when it experimented with that scheme last fall because of his ability to both line up in the box and drop back in pass coverage.
    Wesley Woodyard: The undrafted rookie in 2008 quickly became a fan favorite for the job he did filling in when Williams was injured in November. He’s athletic, fast and a quick learner, but it is unclear how he will fit into the 3-4. Expect Woodyard to be one of the top special teams players, as well.
    Spencer Larsen: He’s still listed as a fullback/linebacker on the Broncos roster, but Larsen wants his long-term career to be on defense. He is a natural middle linebacker who must play inside in the 3-4. Like Woodyard, Larsen should be a top player on special teams once again in 2009.
    Louis Green: On the Broncos’ roster since 2003, Green is one of the longest tenured Broncos, mostly because of his special teams play. No reason to believe at this point that his role will change much in 2009.
    Mario Haggan: At 6-3, 262, Haggan is one of the tam’s biggest and most versatile linebackers. The new coaching staff is looking for guys who can play a variety of roles, and Haggan could be one of them.
    Andra Davis: The newcomer of the bunch — he signed as a free agent from Cleveland — Davis has the most experience in the 3-4 defense, which will be crucial to helping his new teammates pick up the intricacies of the system. He’s also a proven leader and has a strong locker room presence. Expect him to start at one of the two inside linebacker positions.

No mention of Doom or Moss but my assumtion is they will both be tried as OLB's in the 3/4
    Looking at this is not very immpressive.

DJ is good but doesn't fit the 3-4.

Woodyard (i love the guy) doesn't fit either.

Bailey doesn't fit.

Green and Haggin are ST types.

Larsen is unproven.

Davis is a stopgap player that's here for his experience.

We need to draft some young guys, period.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Looking at this is not very immpressive.

DJ is good but doesn't fit the 3-4.

Woodyard (i love the guy) doesn't fit either.

Bailey doesn't fit.

Green and Haggin are ST types.

Larsen is unproven.

Davis is a stopgap player that's here for his experience.

We need to draft some young guys, period.
    I'd have to disagree with you on Bailey. If you have any of the games taped, look at them again and you'l see Bailey was actually one of the better LB's when they were using the 3-4 last season. Not sure if he's the type to put heat on the QB. But, he definitely can play the run well and was solid covering the TE's. His problem has always been staying healthy.

5. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I saw a lot of promise in Larsen in his limited playing time last year, my gut is he is going to be a player and will probably not be wasted at FB this year with Shanny being gone.

I think DJ is solid and still wondering where they are going to line him up. My guess is they won't tip their hat on that one until after the draft.

Woodyard is a player and I'm hoping he comes in heavier this year because he has the skill set to make plays for us.

I'll wait and see with Moss and Doom

Davis will help with his expereince BUT I wasn't impressed with him much at Cleveland.

The rest are scrubs IMO.....

7. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I'd like to see DJ at ILB, unless we grab Rey in the first round, then that complicates matters...

If we can add a solid OLB instead, then I wouldn't hate opening the season with Davis and Williams on the inside and Bailey/Dumervil and our 1st round pick on the outside.

9. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I'd have to disagree with you on Bailey. If you have any of the games taped, look at them again and you'l see Bailey was actually one of the better LB's when they were using the 3-4 last season. Not sure if he's the type to put heat on the QB. But, he definitely can play the run well and was solid covering the TE's. His problem has always been staying healthy.
    I hope you are right, I didn't like much from Boss last year in his limited playing time, he seemed lost and slow when I focused in on him but my main issue with him is durability. The guy seems to stay hurt (Detroit and Denver).

This group provides depth, nice depth.

The draft has surefire starters.

We can turn a weakness into a strength this year.

We can also round out a nice group of safeties.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Superchop 7 For This Post:

Boss is a waste of a roster spot. He's not ideal for either ILB or OLB in the 3-4.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Boss is a waste of a roster spot. He's not ideal for either ILB or OLB in the 3-4.
    Why do you say this?

Quote Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
    Why do you say this?
    He's not an ILB at all. It's not his position. He's a fine OLB in the 4-3 but not in the 3-4. He doesn't have the pass rush skills it takes.
    OLB in the 3-4 are OLB/DE tweeners which he is not.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Guess we'll have to agreee to disagree. Like I said earlier, B. Bailey's problem is durability. He'd make a nice backup at OLB. Also, because of his salary, he's not going anywhere this season.

With Moss & Dumervil competing at the other OLB spot, and DJ possibly filling the OLB spot on the other side, it'll be interesting to see what the staff does with Bailey.

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Guess we'll have to agreee to disagree. Like I said earlier, B. Bailey's problem is durability. He'd make a nice backup at OLB. Also, because of his salary, he's not going anywhere this season.

With Moss & Dumervil competing at the other OLB spot, and DJ possibly filling the OLB spot on the other side, it'll be interesting to see what the staff does with Bailey.
    I don't think we want a nice backup starting at one of OLB spots. But you're right, he'd make a nice backup.

21. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

He's not an ILB at all. It's not his position. He's a fine OLB in the 4-3 but not in the 3-4. He doesn't have the pass rush skills it takes.
    OLB in the 3-4 are OLB/DE tweeners which he is not.
    It seems pretty clear to me that you're confusing the WOLB and the SOLB spot in the 3-4.

The WOLB in Nolan's scheme is the pass rusher OLB/DE tweener. The SOLB is the one who has to be more versitile and is often asked to cover TE's and RB's. He occasionaly does rush but it isn't his main responsibility.

Of course to be fair in SF this wasn't quite the case so it depends a little bit on what Nolan plans to do here, but he fits the SOLB really well.

23. The Following User High Fived Fan in Exile For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
    It seems pretty clear to me that you're confusing the WOLB and the SOLB spot in the 3-4.

The WOLB in Nolan's scheme is the pass rusher OLB/DE tweener. The SOLB is the one who has to be more versitile and is often asked to cover TE's and RB's. He occasionaly does rush but it isn't his main responsibility.

Of course to be fair in SF this wasn't quite the case so it depends a little bit on what Nolan plans to do here, but he fits the SOLB really well.
    Fair enough.

But, plain and simple, the guy is just not that good. Wasn't in Det and wasn't here. Yeah, injuries have some part in that but still, not that good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Fair enough.

But, plain and simple, the guy is just not that good. Wasn't in Det and wasn't here. Yeah, injuries have some part in that but still, not that good.
    I would say that it's almost all injuries. However I think those injuries are pretty serious which is why I have Sintim at #18 on my wish list.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information